All tracks in music library now in alphabetical order

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

53 replies

Badge
Hmm. This sounds more specific than my issue. I'm using very basic file naming format. i.e. Artist\Album\01 Spirit.wma
I've always used Windows Media Player for ripping and indexing. Here the track numbers are displayed 1-10 but not in Sonos Controller. My mp3 files generally have the same format but not always. e.g. 01 - Alison.mp3 but there seems to be no problems with these.
Badge
Relieving to hear others experiencing the problem. I spent 90 minutes with tech support to no avail; Sonos is aware of the problem. With more than 1,000 cds, the prospect of ripping most of them again...no.
If the issue is that track numbers have to be purely numeric there's probably a way to use a batch tag editor to strip off the rogue characters. No need to re-rip. The usual recommendation is Mp3tag. Test the procedure on a small set of files, then just set Mp3tag running on the entire library while you go make a cup of tea.
Badge
I'm planning to do no such thing. Hopefully Sonos are on the case and a fix will be bundled in the next update. In the meantime i've been playlisting my favourite albums, in the correct order.
Given the (lack of) emphasis Sonos now places on library developments -- the vast majority of customers stream from the cloud according to their public statements -- you might be waiting a while. If they've only recently acknowledged the issue, the way things work is that a change may well not appear for some months. Your call, but in your shoes I'd simply fix my library.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I wrote to Sonos support to let them know yesterday, shared this thread with them, and included screenshots of file tags and the Sonos app's behavior.

They didn't mention being aware of the problem in their first reply, so I think it may take a few back-and-forths before I get beyond level 1 support. 😛
Userlevel 1
Badge
I should probably mention that a good, but dumb, workaround for now is to play your music in the Sonos app through a Plex server. Plex respects the file tags and forces Sonos to do so as well.
Badge
Thanks. I dont know what plex is but I'll read up. It's surprising to me this isn't an issue for more people. I know a lot stream from the cloud but I'd be very disappointed if they don't acknowledge this. I've had a zp100 for around 15 years and been a very big advocate.
Badge
Update from me. I've re-ripped a couple of CDs to FLAC and those have no issue with track numbering/sequencing. My issue is purely with WMA files. I know Sonos have only ever supported WMA bit rate of up to 355kbps but I'm not using lossless and they are all variable rate below that limit. The problem isn't with playback, it's purely track numbering.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Pretty disappointed with the level of Sonos' email support.

They just thanked me for my "feature request" in something only barely resembling english.

I now have zero hope that this will be fixed or looked at by anyone that has any power to fix it in my lifetime.
Badge
Same.

I've decided to start re-ripping my CDs bit by bit in the mean time. When I started all those years ago, NAS capacity was a bit of an issue whereas it's not since upgrading it to a 2TB.
I've decided to start re-ripping my CDs bit by bit in the mean time. When I started all those years ago, NAS capacity was a bit of an issue whereas it's not since upgrading it to a 2TB.
Use a secure ripper, like EAC or dBpoweramp. When I ripped my then collection to FLAC in 2007 I used EAC. Though it took 3 weeks, on a puny (by modern standards) PC, it was time well invested.
Badge
Whats the advantage of that over just using windows media player?
Whats the advantage of that over just using windows media player?
A secure ripper makes every possible attempt to recover the correct audio data: https://wiki.hydrogenaud.io/index.php?title=Secure_ripping
Userlevel 1
Badge
I got a response.

This approach to software development baffles me.

Essentially, "This loss of functionality is by design. But we'll put in a request to have it added back in."

We are aware that it used to work. Sonos controller changed how it displays files in the latest update, which is the version you are using. Unfortunately it can not be rolled back to the old way.

The best we can do for now is to add this to the future request list. We have already submitted the request to the developer team. I appreciate it if you could wait for this function to be added in the future release.
Badge
I installed the latest update last night but it hasn't fixed the issue for WMA encoded files. I don't even think your issue with file naming is the same problem I have. I'm almost half way through re-ripping my CD collection now anyway but it would be nice to know why it's happened.
Badge
In advance, please forgive my ignorance/stupidity as I ask a question or two. For those of you re-ripping, have you simply deleted your library and ripped everything as mp3s? If you did re-rip, did you use a secure ripper? Has the re-ripping worked? I'm just trying to get an idea of the simplest yet most trustworthy process.
Badge
Ratty - can you explain the process of using mp3 Tag in order to remedy the problem?
Badge
In my case I deleted the WMA album then re-ripped in FLAC/MP3. I then reindexed the library and all of the new tracks are sequenced correctly. Personally I couldn't be bothered with the secure ripping software. Windows media player for Windows 10 works just fine for my purposes.
I got a response.

This approach to software development baffles me.

Essentially, "This loss of functionality is by design. But we'll put in a request to have it added back in."

We are aware that it used to work. Sonos controller changed how it displays files in the latest update, which is the version you are using. Unfortunately it can not be rolled back to the old way.

The best we can do for now is to add this to the future request list. We have already submitted the request to the developer team. I appreciate it if you could wait for this function to be added in the future release.

Why is this a feature request? The app gives you the options of Title, Track Number or Filename. Always has. Someone foobar’d here. Come on guys give us back the functionality you have provided in the Library Settings.
Same issue for me here, gavdann. Any FLAC ripped albums show with track numbers next to them (and ordered by track, as in settings). All my older ripped CDs in WMA (variable) show without track numbers (both Windows desktop app and iOS) and are alphabetically ordered. Yet they are correctly tagged (and are ordered correctly) in my JRiver Media Center Player.

So I agree, Sonos seems to have dropped the ball on picking up the tags from WMA files.

(And I've deleted and re-added the library, re-indexed, switched settings for ordering in folders ... blah blah)

Might have to run a giant conversion on all the WMA files across to FLAC ... OR ... Sonos could just fix the bug.

:D

Update from me. I've re-ripped a couple of CDs to FLAC and those have no issue with track numbering/sequencing. My issue is purely with WMA files. I know Sonos have only ever supported WMA bit rate of up to 355kbps but I'm not using lossless and they are all variable rate below that limit. The problem isn't with playback, it's purely track numbering.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I found the problem.

At some point Sonos silently stopped supporting track numbers containing slashes.

After some tag edits and media library refreshes here's what I was able to confirm just now:

- Sonos can only understand simple track numbers like "1" and will use them to sort the songs within albums correctly.
- Track numbers like "01/11" and "1/11" are effectively now invisible to Sonos. It treats them as if the field is blank and will instead fall back to order tracks alphabetically.

Some further clarification on this, now that I've had a few weeks to dig in-

I was/am seeing this behavior in FLAC files, whose metadata is stored as Vorbis Comments, not as ID3 tags. The change that Sonos made to cause this bug must lie in their Vorbis Comments importer.

I've found a workaround for now that allows me to retain my track numbers with slashes, although it does require re-tagging before Sonos will see the track numbers.

I use Tag & Rename to manage my file tags. There's a setting hidden its menus that needs to be enabled for Sonos to see track number data once again. I hope someone finds this helpful.

Within T&R, go to "Options/Options," click the "Advanced" tab, and scroll down to "Save Vorbis Comments Track and Disc total numbers to "TRACKTOTAL" and "DISCTOTAL" frames. Ensure that that setting IS CHECKED, and all of your tagged files from that point on will be properly ordered within the Sonos apps.
I find it absolutely astonishing that Sonos would deliberately stop listing tracks in their correct order and choose to list them alphabetically instead. It actually boggles the mind. How many artists name all their songs in alphabetical order?

It is possible to list songs in their correct order - but first you have to click through to the folder where your songs are, then you need to right click on any song, then you need to select "Info and Options' and click on that, then select "View all Songs on Album"

You will have to do this for every album you wish to listen to. Its a real pain. I just wish that Sonos could spend 2 seconds actually THINKING about what they're doing.

We'll just have to wait until the genius that thought this was a good idea changes his mind and puts it back the way it used to be and the way the rest of the planet listens to their songs.
I ended up giving up trying to find a "solution" for the .wma files (everything else - .mp3 and .flac lists correctly in song order). I tried re-tagging using Tag & Rename as suggested elsewhere on this forum with various combinations of tag format, nothing worked (my .wma files were already track # tagged anyway, but I wondered if a forced retag then a forced Sonos re-index might fix it).

So I bit the bullet and ran a long batch file conversion for only my old .wma files into .flac format (using JRiver Media Center which I've owned for years). 10,000 files, took almost 24 hours, then a Sonos re-index, now everything is back to being listed in track order ...
Just posting a quick update that I think will solve this problem - it did for me.

In the Sonos app go to Manage > Settings > Music Library. Then click on the Advanced tab and select the 'Sort Folders By' (even though Song Number was already selected) choosing this option again sorted the problem for me.

I guess this was just a simple software bug.