Answered

All services gone...

• 18 November 2016
  • 44 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

Incidentally, when you have a wired component so that SonosNet is running you must have the Sonos channel set to something different from the router channel, to avoid interference between the SonosNet and wifi segments of your LAN.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I found this but it sounds like you may have tried some of these already

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/09/fix-ios-10-wifi-problems.html

I have tried these, but in a bit of a haphazard manner. I think what I need to do, in order is:

1) Reset phone network settings.

2) Reboot modem / router.

3) Try reconnecting to WiFi.

4) Change phone to use Google DNS (like my Mac is).
Userlevel 2
Badge
Incidentally, when you have a wired component so that SonosNet is running you must have the Sonos channel set to something different from the router channel, to avoid interference between the SonosNet and wifi segments of your LAN.

I only had it wired because I was changing the WiFi network settings for the Sonos. After doing the set-up, I was able to unplug it and go back to all wireless.

Everything works in terms of connectivity of the system - I can group players, ungroup, play separate music....all the Sonos functionality that you'd expect is there.

Only thing is this inability to add / browse any service on the iOS controller.
And maybe temporarily change your router DNS to Google servers too? I must admit I'm a bit hazy on how all these things interact.
Userlevel 2
Badge
And maybe temporarily change your router DNS to Google servers too? I must admit I'm a bit hazy on how all these things interact.

I wondered about that too...I'll try phone DNS option first, since this is how the Mac is set up and it seems to be working fine.

(I really wish you could add Apple Music via the Mac - could that go on the Sonos dev wish list!?)
I suspect Sonos are powerless to do anything about adding Apple Music via desktop. I imagine it's an Apple thing, but can't be sure. To the best of my knowledge Apple Music is the only streaming service you can't add via desktop (although I can't be totally sure about that either)
Userlevel 2
Badge
I suspect Sonos are powerless to do anything about adding Apple Music via desktop. I imagine it's an Apple thing, but can't be sure. To the best of my knowledge Apple Music is the only streaming service you can't add via desktop (although I can't be totally sure about that either)

I reckon you're right - last night I happily added SoundCloud via the Mac desktop.

I have made some progress, or at least learned something new.

I recalled that my daughter's iPod didn't make the jump from iOS 9 to iOS10; iOS 10 wasn't supported on that gen of iPod. So I got her iPod, and guess what - happily added Apple Music using that. Also can browse TuneIn Radio and Soundcloud on her iPod, just like I can on the Mac.

So the culprit here is definitely something about iOS10.1.1, because:

1) I can browse / add services via Mac desktop app.

2) Browse / add services (including Apple Music) via iOS 9

I'll keep digging....
Might this be relevant?

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/ios10-sonos-controller-cant-connect-to-music-services-6740059
Userlevel 2
Badge
Might this be relevant?

https://en.community.sonos.com/controllers-software-228995/ios10-sonos-controller-cant-connect-to-music-services-6740059

Funny - I searched the Community for iOS10 and found the same thread. I've looked at it and changed all my DNS servers to the Google ones (8.8.8.8; 8.8.4.4), but that doesn't seem to do it for me. But I think I'll go and ask those guys over on that thread and see if they have any other suggestions.
OK. It might need Sonos Support to take a detailed look, when that is next available to you. They can remote access your system if need be. At least you now have the means to play music, although clearly this issue needs to be resolved.
I don't know if it's the done thing to private message other users for support - I'm honestly not sure of the etiquette. If anyone can help it will be @ratty, but I think he should be allowed to join in if he so chooses.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I don't know if it's the done thing to private message other users for support - I'm honestly not sure of the etiquette. If anyone can help it will be @ratty, but I think he should be allowed to join in if he so chooses.

BREAKTHROUGH!

I had tried adding the Google DNS servers, and those alone didn't do the trick. I added the OpenDNS servers to the list, as well as their IPv6 servers. After adding the OpenDNS servers, everything came back - I can now browse all music services on my iOS10 device.

Wow - what a convoluted path to resolution...
Yay!
Great that it's resolved.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Scratch that.

It's reverted, as described by one of the posters in the other thread and is now showing the same behaviour as before. Says I can't connect to Apple Music, SoundCloud, or TuneIn Radio.

Sigh.
Hi Chris. Bad news. The only remaining suggestions I have are:

1. Having made the DNS changes you have to both phone and router, do another complete router / network reboot.

2. Get on the phone to Sonos Support, who may need to escalate you to tier 2 support, but who can actually see what is going on in a way that none of us can.

I'd be interested to hear how this pans out.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Yeah, bummer. In that other thread, Ryan the Sonos tech says it's a known issue that they're working on, so hopefully they'll sort it out. In the meantime, now that I've at least added Apple Music back in with my daughter's iOS 9 device, I can limp along with this limited functionality.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hey guys, thanks everyone for jumping in and helping out. This thread got a lot red herrings and I wanted to jump in and clarify a few things. As Chris_bye's last post said, it's a known issue with some iOS 10 devices and certain ISP/DNS services. We are working with it right now and you can find some more details here.

If you run into trouble with your services missing, you can use the steps in that other thread to resolve the trouble. You'll need to adjust the DNS settings on your iOS device or on your router. Some of the affected ISPs don't allow you to set default DNS settings on the router, so you have to do it on the router. And for COGECO there's an extra step you might need to take too.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Following Ryan's instructions on the other thread worked! On Arris router, I found the setting recommended by Ryan and that did the trick! Able to add/browse services again on iOS 10 devices; don't need to override their DNS settings - they're just picking up default ISP DNS settings.

Will monitor over the next few hours to see if it holds....

Thanks!!