Answered

All services gone...

• 18 November 2016
  • 44 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Apple Music. Gone.

TunedIn Radio. Gone.

I tried deleting Apple Music, and can't even re-add it now. I suppose next up on the list is unplugging router and re-setting.

Guys....guys....guys.

Your hardware is great.

But I work at a software company. And I've got to say - your implementation of Apple Music is not good. The integration is shoddy to begin with - many Apple Music features (indicators for explicit content, ability to "like" songs / artists, etc.) not implemented. For months, people like me and others on here couldn't get the new Apple Music stations to show up. To get them, you had to do a workaround by playing the station in the native Apple Music app, and then it would show up in Sonos recently played list.

And now, out of the blue, it just goes belly up and goes away.

So, so, so frustrating. I can't say it enough. And the most frustrating part is that my only recourse at this point is to post irritated messages in your community like this. And I'm sure I'll get a "we're working hard on it" response. And I'm sure you are! But the bottom line is that my experience as an end-user kind of sucks at times.
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 21 November 2016, 19:22

Hey guys, thanks everyone for jumping in and helping out. This thread got a lot red herrings and I wanted to jump in and clarify a few things. As Chris_bye's last post said, it's a known issue with some iOS 10 devices and certain ISP/DNS services. We are working with it right now and you can find some more details here.

If you run into trouble with your services missing, you can use the steps in that other thread to resolve the trouble. You'll need to adjust the DNS settings on your iOS device or on your router. Some of the affected ISPs don't allow you to set default DNS settings on the router, so you have to do it on the router. And for COGECO there's an extra step you might need to take too.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

44 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
Update. Re-started router.

Nothing. When I try to re-add Apple Music, it just tells me right away that there was a problem and to check my WiFi.

WiFi is working just fine.

So now I can't use my Apple music account until whatever has gone balls up on your end gets fixed.

I submitted a diagnostic for what it's worth.

COME ON!!!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
1) You're probably registered on the Beta program in which case if you are using an iOS device you WILL have limited functionality. In that case remove yourself from the Beta and update.

2) If that isn't the case you need to give us information (data) of your system.

2a) You need to put the diagnostic number in the post because Sonos cannot guess it.
whatever has gone balls up on your end

I would bet a fair bit that it has gone balls up at your end.
Userlevel 2
Badge
whatever has gone balls up on your end

I would bet a fair bit that it has gone balls up at your end.

Thanks. Super helpful.
Userlevel 2
Badge
1) You're probably registered on the Beta program in which case if you are using an iOS device you WILL have limited functionality. In that case remove yourself from the Beta and update.

2) If that isn't the case you need to give us information (data) of your system.

2a) You need to put the diagnostic number in the post because Sonos cannot guess it.

Diagnostic number is 6759681.

Beta program? I signed up for Apple Music in August 2016. Was it still on Beta at that point?

I've also lost ability to browse TunedIn. That in Beta too?

I work for a software company. When we release a beta product to our customers, we bend over backwards to ensure a smooth transition from beta to full release. Ridiculous.
My point is that you are sounding off as if this is a global Sonos issue when it is almost certainly an issue local to your own network. As Stuart says, your best bet is to submit a diagnostic and post the number back here.

There are a lot of super helpful people on here and I happily spend some of my time helping those who come on here looking for help rather than just to whinge.
Userlevel 2
Badge
My point is that you are sounding off as if this is a global Sonos issue when it is almost certainly an issue local to your own network. As Stuart says, your best bet is to submit a diagnostic and post the number back here.

There are a lot of super helpful people on here and I happily spend some of my time helping those who come on here looking for help rather than just to whinge.

There are a lot of posts around the topic over the years saying "I can no longer connect to my XYZ service". So it is a widespread issue. Not just me.

There are lots of posts about limited Apple Music functionality, and the implementation being less than idea. Again, widespread issue, not just me.

Again, thanks for the judgement. Please happily go off and happily contribute elsewhere.
A reboot of your entire network might fix the problem. There are no guarantees.

Power down your router and absolutely everything that connects to your network - phones, printers, Smart TV etc, and of course Sonos gear. Turn on the router and let it come up fully. Then power on any wired Sonos component, then other Sonos components, then everything else. One device at a time, and let each come up fully before doing the next.

Stuart was referring to the Sonos Beta 7 release which is well publicised as not having full functionality for iOS devices because of Apple restrictions. I suspect that isn't the cause in your case though.
Sorry, tried to help before you told me to get lost.

Bye Chris.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Bye Chris.

Look - I'm sorry too. I let my frustration boil over in a public forum, and I haven't ever done that before.

Thanks for trying to help in your post above. Tried that, no joy. But I do appreciate your help.
OK Chris. Apologies all round. Thanks for giving it a go and sorry it didn't help. It sounds like a DNS error or IP addressing issue sort of thing, but rebooting like you have done should sort either of those and it hasn't. I can understand your frustration.

The diagnostic should reveal a fair bit. You might get quicker attention by calling Sonos.

Do you run with a component wired to your router or fully wireless?
You mentioned the option of resetting in an earlier post. Please don't factory reset anything. It is very unlikely to help and can be very counter-productive.
Citing forum posts, some of which are made over the course of years, as a "widespread problem" are the equivalent of going to a barber shop and asying people who need a haircut are a "widespread problem". That's what forums are for, so naturally you are going to see problems here. That says nothing about the overall stability and reliability of the system, unless the threads are huge and posted in a short time.

That said, your original post is long on hyperbolic whinging and short on information. When you say "Gone!" what do you mean? Gone from the sources menu? Gone from the search? Able to be searched but will not play? The way it is worded it sounds like your entire music sources menu is blank, something I find hard to believe considering TuneIn cannot be removed, it is there by default.

So why don't you take the time to submit a diagnostic and post the number here. Sonos will get back to you. In the meantime, take a breath, stop abusing those who are here to help, and describe exactly what is happening to your system. "Gone" means nothing to us.
Userlevel 2
Badge
OK. Deep breath. Again, I apologize for coming on hot - not usually how I go.

Diagnostic number was posted above, re-posted here: 6759681

I have had Apple Music working fine (albeit with the limitations noted by me and others elsewhere on the forums) on my system for about 4 months. Apple Music and TunedIn are the two services I use all the time. No others.

Yesterday, when I went to browse Apple Music, it simply showed an Apple Music intro screen with the message that it was unable to connect to Apple Music. I could not browse any of its stations, my playlists, its playlists, etc. That's what I meant by "gone".

Doing what had been recommended to others by Sonos staff, last night I tried to remove Apple Music and re-add it. Now even that won't work. When I try to re-add it, it tells me that there's a problem with my WiFi connection, and that if there isn't actually a problem with my WiFi, to try later. I've tried several times, and can't re-add Apple Music.

TunedIn simply says that I can't browse the TunedIn service. Strangely enough, I have a few stations added to my favourites, and I can play those by clicking. But at the moment, there is no way I could go and find any other TunedIn stations. That's what I meant by "gone" for TunedIn.

I've tried powering down the entire network, unplugging all Sonos, etc.

Tried re-setting the controller.

Tried to run update, but it comes back with error 1101, which the FAQ suggests a possible resolution being the network power-down and re-boot.
Userlevel 2
Badge
OK Chris. Apologies all round. Thanks for giving it a go and sorry it didn't help. It sounds like a DNS error or IP addressing issue sort of thing, but rebooting like you have done should sort either of those and it hasn't. I can understand your frustration.

The diagnostic should reveal a fair bit. You might get quicker attention by calling Sonos.

Do you run with a component wired to your router or fully wireless?

Thanks. My initial post was very un-Canadian.

Set-up is fully wireless. Two 1s, one 3, and a Playbar, scattered around the house.

The system itself is working (in terms of playing music on my device); it's the connection to services that seems to be on the fritz.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20

Bye Chris.

Look - I'm sorry too. I let my frustration boil over in a public forum, and I haven't ever done that before.

Thanks for trying to help in your post above. Tried that, no joy. But I do appreciate your help.

Hi Chris,

There's a couple things going on in your diagnostic report. First off, there appears to be some wireless interference showing up. This is causing your Sonos units to have a bit of trouble reliably communicating with your home network. You can try adjusting your router's wireless channel to see if that helps. Also, look around and in between your Sonos units for third party wireless devices. Common sources of interference include cordless phones (especially DECT phones), wireless cameras, wireless baby monitors, third party wireless audio equipment and wireless printers. If any similar device is near or in between your Sonos units and router, please move them away or temporarily power then off and see if things improve.

Normally interference wouldn't cause your system to be completely unable to access music services though. Usually it just causes audio interruptions.

It looks like your Sonos units have a long uptime, so it may help to reboot each of your units by removing them from power for ten seconds. This should ensure that each unit is using up to date network information and may help.

Also, if you're using any DNS redirect services, such as Unblock-us, it may help to disable these services as they can introduce extra latency into the Sonos system's connection to online services, which can lead to the system being unable to connect to and play music.

Please let me know if these steps do not help.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I don't use any DNS redirect services.

There are phones and a wireless printer around the house, but these aren't new; my system has been working well for several months. I don't get any audio dropouts.

The inability to connect to the online services started out of the blue yesterday morning. So far I've tried rebooting my wireless modem/router unit, I've also tried that in combination with the powering down of the Sonos units for 30 seconds (I tried that after submitting the diagnostic).

The one thing I didn't do in the sequence of powering everything down and powering all back up is to force quit the Sonos controller app on all of our iOS devices. I'll try that too.

I can try that all again this evening when I'm back home. Any other suggestions?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I don't use any DNS redirect services.

There are phones and a wireless printer around the house, but these aren't new; my system has been working well for several months. I don't get any audio dropouts.

The inability to connect to the online services started out of the blue yesterday morning. So far I've tried rebooting my wireless modem/router unit, I've also tried that in combination with the powering down of the Sonos units for 30 seconds (I tried that after submitting the diagnostic).

The one thing I didn't do in the sequence of powering everything down and powering all back up is to force quit the Sonos controller app on all of our iOS devices. I'll try that too.

I can try that all again this evening when I'm back home. Any other suggestions?

If those steps don't do the trick it would probably be best to continue working with our phone team who can take a deeper look. Let me know how it goes and I'll create a support ticket for you if needed.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Well I've tried re-setting everything, and I currently have the router broadcasting to a dedicated channel for Sonos. Still not able to access any services from my iOS controller.

Here's what I can do from the Sonos controller on my iPhone:

1) Play media on the phone itself.

2) In the Sonos favourites, there are "ghosts" of TunedIn Radio stations that I had added to the favourites before. I can play those. However, I cannot go to TunedIn Radio and browse for other stations.

The minute I try to add the Apple Music service it jumps right away to the screen that says "Check Your Wireless Connection" at the top, with the blurb about there being a problem getting started below that. Then I get the option to Try Again or Not Now. I've tried "Try Again" several times and it never goes anywhere.

Keep in mind that Apple Music had been running for several months with no issue - through the trial period and into a few months of paid access. It still runs fine on the native Apple Music app.

The one new piece of information is that I CAN browse TunedIn Radio using the Mac app on my laptop. That had me excited for a bit, and I thought that perhaps a workaround would be to add Apple Music through the Mac app. However, it insists that I must add Apple Music on my iPhone Sonos controller.

Just out of curiosity, I tried to add my SoundCloud and Slacker via the Sonos iOS controller. I'm told right away there's a problem when I try and do that too.

However, I WAS able to add my Soundcloud account using the Mac app. I can then play music from Soundcloud, browse Soundcloud, etc. from the Mac app. However, although Soundcloud appears in the menu of the iOS controller, next to TunedIn Radio, I cannot browse or play material from it there.

This really seems to be pointing to something with the iOS end of things. I've tried a few things on that score:

1) Deleted and re-added the Sonos controller app.
2) Within the Sonos app, I've tried resetting the controller.
3) I went into Settings on the phone and re-set the network settings to force all the WiFi connections to be re-added.

Still can't add any services or connect to any services (other than through favourites) using the Sonos controller on the phone.

Latest diagnostic I submitted a few mins ago is 6763076.

Incredibly frustrated and humbled here. Beyond being angry anymore, I just want this to go back to working.

Any input or thoughts welcome.
The Mac versus iOS thing is interesting. As you may or may not be aware, Apple Music cannot be added using a desktop controller so that is not an issue with your system, just the way things are. Do you have a friend with an iOS or Android device who you'd be happy to allow to connect to your network? They could download the Sonos app, and you could see if the same issues arise, and potentially see if you can add Apple Music and if it can then be accessed from the Mac.
Also, I wasn't clear what you meant by having a dedicated channel on your router broadcasting to Sonos. Please would you explain?
Which prompts another question, although I doubt it is relevant... do you have a dual band router and if so, is your phone connecting to the 2.4 or 5 GHz band?

How does the Mac connect to your network - wired or wireless?
Userlevel 2
Badge
I had the same ploblem some months ago.
I found after long search I saw the problem was caused by the wifi settings on my IPhone and IPad.
After an IOS update there was something changed in the WIFI DNS settings.
Correcting the wifi settings on your IPhone will probably the solution.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Also, I wasn't clear what you meant by having a dedicated channel on your router broadcasting to Sonos. Please would you explain?
Which prompts another question, although I doubt it is relevant... do you have a dual band router and if so, is your phone connecting to the 2.4 or 5 GHz band?

How does the Mac connect to your network - wired or wireless?

By the "dedicated channel" I meant that what I tried was to change the router from broadcasting on an "automatic" channel to broadcasting on a dedicated channel (channel 11) and in the Sonos setup (which had to be done temporarily wired with an ethernet cable) changing its channel to 11 as well; along the lines of Jeff S' suggestion above.

The strangest thing here is how I can add and browse services (except for Apple Music, which as you note can only be added via iOS controller) on the Mac, and not on the phone. I've gotta check out the post below about how the phone is connecting versus how the Mac is connecting to the network.

Mac is connected wirelessly. One thing I noted is that for my Mac, I had gone in some time ago and set it to use Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8; 8.8.4.4) all the time. Maybe I need to do that on phone too.

Router is dual band; I noted that the only channels that Sonos seems to scan is the 2.4 GHz band. Not sure which one phone connects to - I think it pics whatever's best, but again, this isn't anything that changed recently and I keep coming back to why it just up and quit.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I had the same ploblem some months ago.
I found after long search I saw the problem was caused by the wifi settings on my IPhone and IPad.
After an IOS update there was something changed in the WIFI DNS settings.
Correcting the wifi settings on your IPhone will probably the solution.

Do you have any recollection as to what you did to correct it? As I understand, you can change the DNS settings for various WiFi connections in the phone for a given network. I'll have a Google around, but if there's anything you think of please don't hesitate to throw it out. I'm just throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks...
I found this but it sounds like you may have tried some of these already

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2016/09/fix-ios-10-wifi-problems.html