Answered

Alexa/Echo yet?

• Novice
  • 0 replies
I can not seem to find if or when the integration with Amazon Alexa will happen. And I have been looking...
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 14 April 2017, 21:58

HI Bune, it hasn't happened yet. We're working with Alexa to being integration to Sonos this year, but we'll make sure everyone knows when it happens. Stay tuned! You can watch our Announcement section on the forum here, we'll be posting there when there's news.

View original

29 replies

When it's good and ready...
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
HI Bune, it hasn't happened yet. We're working with Alexa to being integration to Sonos this year, but we'll make sure everyone knows when it happens. Stay tuned! You can watch our Announcement section on the forum here, we'll be posting there when there's news.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Ryan S wrote:

We're working with Alexa to being integration to Sonos this year...

Hmmm...
I hope you'll give equal consideration to interfacing Sonos to Google Home voice control.
This is a bit disappointing. I was bought a few Alexa dots for Christmas as you had announced the connectivity between Alexa and Sonos. I hadn't thought it would take this long.
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
Rpetrie wrote:

This is a bit disappointing. I was bought a few Alexa dots for Christmas as you had announced the connectivity between Alexa and Sonos. I hadn't thought it would take this long.

I too bought an Echo here in the UK at a Prime knock down price and am anxious for the integration to be sooner rather than later. That being said I continue I continue my Sonos just as much.

Furthermore, there is nothing in Sonos history to suggest that they will be fast to the gate with this feature, even though they have announced it. They are well known for being rather slow which is generally down to a desire to ensure that the new features work as well as they possibly can - They do NOT want to follow the Sir Clive Sinclair business model (Google will help!).
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Sonos-Gort wrote:

I hope you'll give equal consideration to interfacing Sonos to Google Home voice control.

We're looking forward to partnering with other voice control systems in the future, but don't have any specific details on who will be the next ones, and when they will come. We'll share more when we're able to, but for now we'll make sure to pass your feedback on to the team.
How about other assistants like Google Home? Are they on the same timeline?
dwieggi wrote:

How about other assistants like Google Home? Are they on the same timeline?

Since the Alexa/Echo implementation has actually been announced and given a basic timeline, and nothing has been announced about Google Home, etc. except the wish to work with them, I highly doubt they are on the same timeline.

Though Software Engineering common sense states that much of the heavy lifting required will be done during the Amazon development, and other voice control assistants will be able to take advantage of the current work to streamline their own development.
Ryan S wrote:

Hi,

I've also asked this question a few times through this year without reply from Sonos. Alot of the original press releases and media stories stated specifically that the integration would be "EARLY" 2017. I guess this was a marketing ploy by both companies to sell units over Christmas?! It worked on me and I'm getting pretty frustrated that I was conned into buying this thing so early.

Sonos, please answer me and acknowledge the false press releases. A friend works for TechCrunch and an email from you guys specifically states early 2017. Please let us know whats happening.

Scott
Userlevel 4
Badge +3
scottreadman wrote:

Ryan S wrote:

Hi,

I've also asked this question a few times through this year without reply from Sonos. Alot of the original press releases and media stories stated specifically that the integration would be "EARLY" 2017. I guess this was a marketing ploy by both companies to sell units over Christmas?! It worked on me and I'm getting pretty frustrated that I was conned into buying this thing so early.

Sonos, please answer me and acknowledge the false press releases. A friend works for TechCrunch and an email from you guys specifically states early 2017. Please let us know whats happening.

Scott

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening
scottreadman wrote:

Hi,

Scott

Media stories? Maybe. I've seen only one, personally. Press releases? Sonos made one and only one press release, and it specifically stated "general release in 2017".
Stuart_W wrote:

scottreadman wrote:

Ryan S wrote:

Hi,

Scott

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening

Firstly who are you and why do you care? Just let Sonos answer.

This is the quote copied directly from a Sonos email and placed into many articles:

"The Alexa feature will be a free software upgrade for existing Sonos hardware. A private beta later this year will be expanded to public release early in 2017"

Some articles below with exact same copy taken from Sonos. Looking at waybackmachine it appears as though Sonos backtracked on this and possibly resubmitted it shortly afterwards as some articles changed from "early 2017" to "some time in 2017".

Articles still showing original copy:

https://www.cnet.com/uk/news/amazon-alexa-coming-to-sonos-music-systems/

http://womenfreetime.com/news/sonos-music-systems-adding-alexa-voice-support-in-2017.html

https://india.trend.network/2016/08/30/sonos-music-systems-adding-alexa-voice-support-2017/JkYlMpcVhgk

https://www.f3nws.com/news/sonos-music-systems-adding-alexa-voice-support-in-2017-cnet-muWcED
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
I believe it will be:

1) Before HEOS brings it out (if HEOS ever does)
2) Before Google Home Support
3) Later then everyone wants it
So either the news agencies or Sonos' PR group got it wrong, and they did the right thing by quickly correcting their mistake?

How dare they!!! :8
That's a bit of a strawman comment. There's nothing wrong with correcting a mistake but it quite obviously wasn't a mistake. It was very obviously meant to maximise Christmas sales.

All anyone is asking for is a more robust timeline. If they thought it would be 'early' 2017 then whats happened to make it later. Why not communicate?

And also why do people keep trolling simple questions directed at Sonos? Why are saddos trawling through community comments? Sonos, just answer please.

jgatie wrote:

So either the news agencies or Sonos' PR group got it wrong, and they did the right thing by quickly correcting their mistake?

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
scottreadman wrote:

That's a bit of a strawman comment. There's nothing wrong with correcting a mistake but it quite obviously wasn't a mistake. It was very obviously meant to maximise Christmas sales.

All anyone is asking for is a more robust timeline. If they thought it would be 'early' 2017 then whats happened to make it later. Why not communicate?

And also why do people keep trolling simple questions directed at Sonos? Why are saddos trawling through community comments looking to be dicks? Sonos, just answer please.

jgatie wrote:

I, like you, am a user of this forum. I'm also a user of a number of Sonos devices. And, as I mentioned further up on this page, I have an Echo Dot that I purchased for the express use of the Sonos integration.

If you're holding your breath for a "more robust timeline" then you won't get it here, or anywhere else for that matter. You will know as soon as the rest of us know when it is released (probably in Beta).

Sonos have already answered in this thread - 3 days ago! You, me or anybody else, foot stomping and demanding they respond with a more detailed timeline isn't going to change that. If you think me or others replying to you rather than Sonos is trolling then so be it.
They wanted to maximize Christmas sales, yet the only official statement ever released says nothing about "early 2017"? That's a pretty lousy PR scam. ;)
Stuart_W wrote:

scottreadman wrote:

And also why do people keep trolling simple questions directed at Sonos? Why are saddos trawling through community comments looking to be dicks? Sonos, just answer please.

jgatie wrote:

I, like you, am a user of this forum. I'm also a user of a number of Sonos devices. And, as I mentioned further up on this page, I have an Echo Dot that I purchased for the express use of the Sonos integration.

If you're holding your breath for a "more robust timeline" then you won't get it here, or anywhere else for that matter. You will know as soon as the rest of us know when it is released (probably in Beta).

Sonos have already answered in this thread - 3 days ago! You, me or anybody else, foot stomping and demanding they respond with a more detailed timeline isn't going to change that. If you think me or others replying to you rather than Sonos is trolling then so be it.

Your answer isn't trolling the others were. Look up what trolling is.
jgatie wrote:

They wanted to maximize Christmas sales, yet the only official statement ever released says nothing about "early 2017"? That's a pretty lousy PR scam. ;)

You obvs don't get how PR works.
scottreadman wrote:

You obvs don't get how PR works.

I usually don't like to have resume swinging contests, but weekly meetings with a marketing department with a multi-million dollar budget for an industry leading entity with $5 B in sales would say otherwise. PM me and I will send you proof, as long as you agree not to discuss the PM in public.
bune wrote:

I can not seem to find if or when the integration with Amazon Alexa will happen. And I have been looking...

Seriously Sonos this is getting old. I bought numerous dots only because it was advertised they would interface with Sonos in 2017!
Still some time for 2017 to be over!
Userlevel 6
Badge +4
Ummm... it is 2017.

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8