Answered

Alexa won't play Amazon Music on Sonos one

• 11 March 2020
  • 5 replies

We recently had to return our One’s to factory setting after we changed our router and couldn’t re-connect. All is now working, except that Alexa announces a requested song playing from Amazon Music, but then silence. I’ve searched answers on here and tried disconnecting Sonos on the Alexa app and vice versa, then re-connecting but the same thing happens. I’ve checked my Amazon account and Music is there. I can’t think what else to do to solve this.

icon

Best answer by AjTrek1 11 March 2020, 13:32

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Hi @mariat01 

Try this

1. In the Sonos app disable Alexa voice services
  2. In the Sonos app remove the Amazon music service
  3. Sign out of Sonos
  4. In the Alexa app remove the Sonos skill
  5. Sign out of Alexa in the app
  6. Sign out of your Amazon account
  7. Sign into your Amazon account
  8. Sign into Alexa
  9. Sign into your Sonos
  10. Enable the Sonos Skill in Alexa
  11. Enable voice services in the Sonos app (if it didn’t auto-return upon sign in)
  12. Ask Alexa to discover devices (she may reply “no new devices were found”...that’s OK)
  13. Test Alexa...by asking for the time or something generic
  14. Add Amazon music service in the Sonos app
  15. Ask Alexa to play music from Amazon

Let us know what happens.

Note: The next time you change a router use the same SSID and Passphrase. Changing a router does not require you to change SSID/Passphrase. If you do it’s akin to setting up everything from ground zero. Had you not made the change in SSID/Passphrase Sonos and all other Wi-Fi clients would have connected as if nothing had been altered.  

Also, if you do decide to change your SSID/Passphrase upon setting up a new router follow the instructions in the link; rather than performing a factory reset:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/1061?language=en_US

Cheers!

I had to start all over again as the Sonos app wouldn’t connect to the speakers, also it kept finding my son’s system upstairs, but not mine. I’ll try what you’ve suggested and let you know how I get on. 

Userlevel 7

I had to start all over again as the Sonos app wouldn’t connect to the speakers, also it kept finding my son’s system upstairs, but not mine. I’ll try what you’ve suggested and let you know how I get on. 

From your comment it appears that your son has a Sonos under different logon credentials than yours. If that’s true it would appear that your Sonos is logged in under his credentials.  If that is the case Amazon is probably playing on his speakers and/or your account is not setup for a family.  

In any event check yours and your sons Sonos logon email. Let us know what you find.

Cheers!

Hello @mariat01. Welcome to the Community.  @AjTrek1 brought up a fair point based on what you told us. It does seem like we have the same Amazon account on two separate Sonos households. Which would most certainly cause Alexa to not complete a command, as she does not know which household to play on. As a result, you get silence instead. 

Is you son’s speaker on a different system then your own speaker? You can normally tell if you cannot see the other speaker from your application. If both you and your son could submit a diagnostic from your respective devices and provide both the confirmation numbers in your reply, I could then confirm our theory here. I look forward to hearing back from you. 

Yes, It was picking my son’s system when I tried to set mine up after we changed routers, but that's cured now. However, I tried all the steps mentioned by AjTREK1 and still the same outcome, Alexa responds but no music plays. 

my diagnostic is 1941895069

ill get my son to do the same when he's home from work later