Alexa on Sonos Roam- Spotify not playing music

• 30 October 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

For the last couple weeks I have had problems using Alexa to trigger Spotify music on my Sonos Roam.

If I ask Alexa to play a song, the Alexa voice will respond and indicate the correct song on Spotify, but then... nothing! No music comes out of the speaker.

I can still play music on the Roam via the Spotify Connect or Sonos App. It just won't play when I use Alexa.

I have reviewed all the settings, and Alexa has Spotify skill enabled. This used to work fine. 

What am I doing wrong?

7 replies

Userlevel 7

Try disabling and re-enabling the Spotify and Sonos skills in the Alexa app. Remove Alexa from the Roam in the Sonos app and reboot the Roam by following these steps:

1. Disconnect Roam from charging cables and remove it from wireless chargers.
  2. Hold the button on the back of Roam for at least five seconds until you hear the power-off tone and the light above the Sonos logo turns off.
  3. Wait 10 seconds.
  4. Press the button on the back of Roam to turn it back on.

Then re-add Alexa to the Roam. You might also reboot your router.

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Nope. This didn't work.

I have tried and tried. Would happily share a video of the issue but there is no option to do that.

The Alexa app shows the song playing but there's no audio.

Might be time to submit a system diagnostic within 10 minutes of experiencing this problem, and call Sonos Support to discuss it.

There may be information included in the diagnostic that will help Sonos pinpoint the issue and help you find a solution.

When you speak directly to the phone folks, they have tools at their disposal that will allow them to give you advice specific to your Sonos system and network.

I’m experiencing the same issue on my Sonos Roam.  Removed the amazon Alexa voice assistant and redownloaded.  Still no music.   Alexa says it will play the song through the Sonos Roam, but then no music comes out. 

Are you away from your home WiFi?

I connected the Roam to another WiFi and tried Hot Spot and had the same problem.. turns out Alexa can only be paired to one Sonos system (which appears to be a collection of Sonos devices on the same WiFi)

Seems to be a bit of a limitation of the Roam given the idea was that we were to Roam with it?

Userlevel 2

I have the same issue, where Sonos Roam on any other WiFi network no longer plays Spotify when asked with Alexa. So much for roaming. This bug is bad enough that I think I’m going to return the Roam. 

I had the same problem. I fixed it by going to Sonos app and linking Spotify and then going to the Alexa app and enabling the Spotify app. This didn’t work. So, I enabled the Sonos skill on Alexa as well as the other things that I enabled before. This worked, ima happy camper 👍