Albums sorted by artist rather than by album title

• 4 October 2012
  • 20 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
I'm old school and keep my CDs and LPs (that old!) sorted by artist. Would be nice to have that possibility in the Sonos Music library as well

20 replies

I don't understand, 'Artist' is the first choice on the Music Library menu.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Sorry, should've been clearer. This is about the "Album" view. Go to "Music Library" / "Albums" and the list is sorted by album title. This is where I'd love to have it sorted first by Artist, then by Album Title. I like the "Album" view because I have made sure it only displays complete albums. When I only have the odd song and not the whole album I have removed the "Album" tag.
How have you got the Group Albums options set? (ie. Manage|MusicLibrarySettings|Advanced on the desk top controller). If it is set to AlbumArtists you could try setting up these odd tracks as if they were on a genre albums, ie set their AlbumArtist to something like Various Artists. That way they would all collapse down to just one entry in the Artist index, but still be available individually in the Contributing Artists index. The Artists index would then give you want you want; album titles within artist, filtered to just whole albums.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks for the tip, that setting always confused me, but I actually have it set to Album Artist. But my basic wish is for the "Album" view to be sorted by artist rather than album title. Just the way I would sort them in my bookshelf if I owned the CDs.
Thanks for the tip, that setting always confused me, but I actually have it set to Album Artist. But my basic wish is for the "Album" view to be sorted by artist rather than album title. Just the way I would sort them in my bookshelf if I owned the CDs.
That is what the Artist index currently gives you, although admittedly you get to browse by Artist, have to drop down to see the albums, and then have to resurface to continue browsing. ... So not everything, but it is close.
New iTunes sorts Albums by artist name and its by far the best way to browse in my opinion. Also it means you get browse the album artwork in a logical manor. Sonos please add this feature!
I've just got a sonos and am loving it. I really like the album view as you can see all the covers as I remember them (more so the mrs) but ordering them by album title is a shame as I'd like to see them grouped by the artist as I'd normally have them. Hopefully this a fairly simple addition to make to the app where you can chose to sort album view by album title or album artist. Thanks. Shaun.
Um not sure why my thread was merged, my query is about two albums of the same name grouped together in Album view - for example:

Thank you - Jamelia
Thank you - Stone Temple Pilots

Just shows as Thank you - Jamelia, and when you play you get alternative artists for the same album. 
Um not sure why my thread was merged, my query is about two albums of the same name grouped together in Album view - for example:

Thank you - Jamelia
Thank you - Stone Temple Pilots

Just shows as Thank you - Jamelia, and when you play you get alternative artists for the same album. 
Userlevel 1
Would love to be able to:
 - Browse albums by artist - i.e. see all albums, group by artist, not by name
 - See all tracks under an artist, grouped by album, not by name

really, who needs alpha sorted content ever? It is a broken UX semantic. If I want a particular track or album I use the search box - I dont search through an alphabetic list. If I am /browsing/, rather than searching, then I want things grouped by album, artist or genre.

Whats wrong with seeing all albums by artist, then clicking into each album separately you ask? I cant select 7 albums and put them in the queue easily - I have to click into and add to the queue each album and set of songs separately. Annoying. 

If I go into artist and all tracks,then they get added to the queue in alpha, rather than album, order - ruining the arrangement.,
This is really an essential feature, especially since album art is now emphasized so much more in the new version of the controller!
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
@Aaron: I actually think this has been an issue for like a decade, not just now. The album view was just never thought through and finished, in my view.

ALBUM VIEW. How shall it be sorted? Go to your own record collection, how is it sorted? A-Z ? Likely by Artist. I have never seen anyone sort their largish collection otherwise. Artist, then most likely year (if really organized).
So, if Sonos ever gets around to actually finishing and making the album view more than specificationware, don't forget YEAR for the second sort. I think that would be quite helpful for most.
Userlevel 1
You only have to look at Spotofy to see how useful this would be on the Sonos app
Sonos should add sort options to album view, so we can change the sort order on the fly.
(album title - album artist - release date)

Album view is ideal for scrolling through your complete library, and it can't be too difficult to add a simple sort button and different sort options to this view.
AMEN to that.
I also would love to get an album view in the Genre selection.
Currently it shows every artist, and many of them are from compilation albums.
Especially true for classical and holiday genres. 
Userlevel 1
Everyone that I know sorts their Albums by Artist. You only have ti have a few dozen compilation albums to render the Artist view impossible to look through. Come on Sonos, sort this out!
I would like to happen it also! I did it that way with my CD's!
Totally agree with this.  Apple made the change to the iTunes Album view a while ago and I can't tell you how much easier and enjoyable it is to browse music this way.  And I think that's the key word here, "browse".  If I know exactly what I want to listen to, then yes, the current Artist or Album views are fine.  I love the greater emphasis on album art, but having to dip into every Artist separately to see their albums breaks up the flow.

Maybe it's not for everyone, so just give us some options for sorting the views.  It seems like a very simple thing to do.
+1 on this. I'd use folder view, but that doesn't display the artwork which, while dreadfully slow, is the way we like to browse through a large CD collection. Is this happening any time soon?

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings