Answered

ALAC stored on iOS device

• 10 December 2017
  • 6 replies

Hi guys I have ripped all my cds to Apple losses and saved on the device storage of an iPod touch. I stream this to my play ones and playbar. On the website it states that only 2 formats are supported from iOS device and ALAC is not one..how do I know I getting full lossless and is not being downgraded. It plays without a hitch so is that telling me that it’s been fully received without downgrade?
Thanks
icon

Best answer by Keith N 27 June 2018, 21:17

Hello everyone. Thanks for posting and apologies for not catching this earlier. Whenever you are streaming lossless content from a local storage device on the network, it is not altered or downsampled in any way just as if you were using a vinyl record player. For more information about the audio formats that Sonos supports, check out this FAQ.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Badge
Interesting I posted a question about this sometime ago but also received no reply. I do the same thing and the ALAC files play just fine from the iPhone. I would however like reassurance that they aren’t being downgraded when they are sent to Sonos from the phone. Weird that ALAC isn’t listed as one of the formats as you say.
Good man, yes someone did respond to me but didn’t know what I was talking about ...went back and forth with them then gave up...would really like the assurance I’m getting cd quality
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello everyone. Thanks for posting and apologies for not catching this earlier. Whenever you are streaming lossless content from a local storage device on the network, it is not altered or downsampled in any way just as if you were using a vinyl record player. For more information about the audio formats that Sonos supports, check out this FAQ.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Keith, will that support article be updated to indicate that ALAC on an iOS device is also playable then?
Keith, will that support article be updated to indicate that ALAC on an iOS device is also playable then?indeed. It is the article linked by Keith that seems to be causing the confusion in the first place.