Answered

AirPlay with YouTube Version 13.39.10 on iOS 12.0.1, Video with watermark „connected with AirPlay“ when streaming to Play:5 via AirPlay

I am experiencing a weird problem since I upgraded my iPad (2018) and iPhone (8 plus) to iOS 12.0.1 and the YouTube Apps on both devices to Version 13.39.10.

When streaming Audio to my two Play:5 via AirPlay I got now a watermark „connected with AirPlay“ in the YouTube App. Next to that the Video is washed out and there‘s an picture of the first frame of the Video as some kind of overlay on the Video.

Looks like YouTube does not recognize that I just want to stream Audio. It behaves like I am streaming to a TV or at least I am streaming Audio AND Video.

Think the problem was introduced with YouTube Version 13.39.10 after upgrading iOS 12 to 12.0.1.

I have also an iPhone X (on iOS12) which YouTube Version 13.37.8, there everything is still working as expexcted, so Video can be watched on the iPhone while Audio is being streamed to the Play:5 via Airplay.

Can anybody confirm that problem running the latest YouTube Version on iOS?

Next to that I am wondering to whom I need to address that problem? I would assume to Google?

Or can Sonos assist here and make Google aware of that problem?

Thanks for and help.
icon

Best answer by Keith N 15 October 2018, 20:33

Hello everyone. Thanks for posting and bringing this to our attention. I was able to test a few scenarios out with the team and this happens regardless of YouTube subscription. In fact, we tested this with a Homepod and the same issue occurs. At this point, it seems like part of an update on the YouTube app.

Note: I will mark this comment as the thread answer, so it's at the top for everyone to see.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

25 replies

Badge
Same problem here.
Today’s update of YouTube to 13.39.11 didn’t help.
I have the same problem whether streaming to my SONOS One or to the Apple AirPort Express. It’s not a SONOS related problem. I already informed Google of the problem. It’s either YouTube or iOS.
Thanks for confirming!

I had a call with Sonos support today, at that time they weren’t aware of that problem, but while I was on the phone they were able to reproduce the problem with an iPhone or iPad.

After a while a got an Email from them confirming that the problem is caused by the updated YouTube App and that Goggle has to address this problem,

I assume that Sonos will reach out to Google to inform them about the problem.

According to your findings it seems that also other devices are affected.

BTW, I also just upgraded the YouTube App to Ver. 13.39.11, indeed no changes, problem persists.
Badge
Rolf, the problem is without doubt in the current YouTube iOS app version. If you stream audio via AirPlay running YouTube from a browser OR from any app that has YouTube embedded the problem doesn’t appear. And there is an added benefit: you get the PIP feature. But depending on the video you may have resolution limitations.
Badge
Me too. And I get the pause/play buttons on screen as well. Irritatingly, they stay there even if I change airplay back to iPad rather than Sonos. I have to reboot the iPad to get a clear picture on YouTube again.
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hello everyone. Thanks for posting and bringing this to our attention. I was able to test a few scenarios out with the team and this happens regardless of YouTube subscription. In fact, we tested this with a Homepod and the same issue occurs. At this point, it seems like part of an update on the YouTube app.

Note: I will mark this comment as the thread answer, so it's at the top for everyone to see.
There's again a new YouTube Version out, that is 13.40.

Problem persists with that version, only visible change is that message "connected with AirPlay" is now prominent in the foreground of the App.

Keith,
thanks for confirming and testing a few scenarios.

I am wondering if Sonos could use (hopefully) existing communication channels to report that issue to Google/the YouTube developers. That probably would speed up fixing this bug.

I also gave feedback using the feedback function in the YouTube App, but I am doubting that somebody will pay attention to it.

Thanks.
I have sent feedback too via the iOS version of the App. In my case the overlay stays there on screen, even when I switch back from a Sonos Airplay device, to my iPad ... I guess this could perhaps become a part of the new(ish) google subscription services, I’m hoping however that this will just turn out to be a bug.?
Still not fixed, this is ridiculous....
As previously indicated, this is an issue with the YouTube app, and not with Sonos or Apple.
Does anyone know if the issue goes away, if you subscribe to the Google premium service?

I assume it is working as intended, whether that’s down to Google or Apple, but definitely nowt to do with Sonos.
Badge
As I previously stated, the problem doesn’t appear if you run YouTube from www.youtube.com with a browser, but resolution is limited to max 360p. The problem also doesn’t appear if you run YouTube from an app that has YouTube embedded. In this case you have the max resolution of the stream available.
The problem is not with SONOS as I already mentioned because it also happens when streaming audio to an AirPort Express.
It still could be intentional by YouTube and that the overlay is perhaps removed, when you sign up in the App settings to their premium service at £15.99 per month. That’s the price here in the UK. I think that’s equivalent to $20.75 (U.S.) per month, $739.00 pesos (ARS), or thereabouts.
Still not working & Vimeo is the same; sound works via airplay but no picture on your iOS device.
Netflix, Sky & AMAZON all work great!
Come on YouTube & Vimeo sort it out plz!
YouTube can work on your iOS device and Airplay at the same time in CARDBOARD mode ?
Guys, this is the reply I get from the sonos support thru Facebook

This sounds like expected behavior when using the most recent version of the YouTube app with Airplay. From what we understand upgrading to a YouTube Premium Account or a YouTube Music Premium account removes the watermark. You may want to reach out to consider reaching out to Google/YouTube for the full details around functionality the YouTube app with Airplay.
Interesting. Sounds like the lawyers at Google have an axe to grind.
Badge
Hi everyone!
YouTube 13.45.7 released today SOLVED the problem!
Cheers!
Hi everyone!
YouTube 13.45.7 released today SOLVED the problem!
Cheers!

Yes, just updated the YouTube App and can confirm that Google have fixed it.
Badge
Unfortunately it’s necessary to test software a bit longer before posting a comment.
The AirPlay problem has not been solved 100% and maybe the “solution” was not intended by Google.
Ken, you may be right with your presumption.
After an ad, it doesn’t matter if you let it play completely or you skip it, the problem reappears.
It’s necessary to quit YouTube completely and restart it to get rid of the AirPlay screen.
The same must be done after every ad. ????☹️
Badge
There is one detail to mention: the problem doesn’t appear after an ad that plays at the beginning of a video, only after ads that appear at the middle during playback.
Unfortunately it’s necessary to test software a bit longer before posting a comment.
The AirPlay problem has not been solved 100% and maybe the “solution” was not intended by Google.
Ken, you may be right with your presumption.
After an ad, it doesn’t matter if you let it play completely or you skip it, the problem reappears.
It’s necessary to quit YouTube completely and restart it to get rid of the AirPlay screen.
The same must be done after every ad. ????☹️

I’m not getting this problem with the YouTube App on my iPad ... I’ve just watched a Peter Gabriel, Joe Cocker and David Bowie video whilst streaming the audio over AirPlay to a Sonos One Speaker (Hallway) with no sign of the watermark appearing. I took a couple of screenshots, whilst playing full-screen. It’s difficult to show the red airplay icon at top of screen as then you get the 'Play/Pause/Forward/Rewind' buttons, but otherwise no watermark here so far.
I should have perhaps added that I simply skipped any adverts at the beginning of the videos mentioned in my last post. I will continue to test and report back if I see the problem, but so far it seems okay. I also do not pay/subscribe to any Google YouTube services.
Yayarod,

Just to make sure I have this correct ... this is what I’m doing to test things here...

(1) ... Start a video and then skip Advert (screenshot 1)
(2) ... I select YouTube icon and choose Airplay Sonos One Speaker (Hallway) (screenshot 2)
(3) ... Video plays full-screen and audio plays through Sonos One Speaker with no overlay (screenshot 3)
Badge
Ken, thanks for you detailed post.
But you didn't carefully read my last post where a put a clarification. The problem appears after ads that appears at the middle of the video.
The ads at the beginning of videos are no problem.
The ads that appear at the middle of a video are the problem. Wether you skip them or let them play the watermark appears afterwards. ☹️?
YT Premium includes also Google Play Music and YT Music; three for the price of one, that is. 🙂