Answered

AirPlay question

• 9 December 2016
  • 7 replies

Hello,

I currently have a Play1. I'm considering adding a Play5.
If I connect the Play5 to my Airport Express, will I be able to AirPlay content from my iOS devices to my Play1 as well as the Play5?

Thanks in advance
icon

Best answer by jgatie 9 December 2016, 19:17

Hi. Will I be able to use "any" Sonos speaker on the network with AirPlay, and not just the Play5 connected via the line-in?

Thanks

Yes. The line-in source can be played over any and all Sonos speakers.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +3
Hi cm12

Wellcome to the Sonos community.

I am not sure I understand you question correctly or not. You can play music on you phone through the Sonos system to as many speakers as you have. You do not need "Apple AirPlay" to do that or your Airport Express. All of my Airports are now sitting in a drawer doing nothing.

Hope this helps
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
To add to the above you can plug in a Express if you wanted to. The Play 5 has a line in port.
Thank you for your prompt reply. I have iOS audio apps that I would like to listen to via Sonos. For instance I use Overcast to listen to podcasts. This app cannot be used natively with Sonos. I currently use a bluetooth speaker. I'd prefer to configure Sonos to work with AirPlay.

Cheers
To add to the above you can plug in a Express if you wanted to. The Play 5 has a line in port.

Hi. Will I be able to use "any" Sonos speaker on the network with AirPlay, and not just the Play5 connected via the line-in?

Thanks

Thanks

Yes. The line-in source can be played over any and all Sonos speakers.
That's great to hear. Thank you.
Hi there,

Found AirPlay to be of an inferior sound quality. Volume was low and slightly distorted. It was like there was some sort of interference.

Chromecast Audio has no such issues. Am now able to listen to my podcasts on iOS devices with the Pocket Casts app, sending Casts to my Sonos Play1 & Play5.

Chromecast is only £30 compared to £99 for the AirPort Extreme.