Answered

Airplay not showing all my sonos speaker groups

• 23 April 2019
  • 6 replies

Badge
I have a sonos5 and several sonos1 speakers. In iOS 12.2 I can see my speaker groups for my sonos5 but not my sonos1 speakers. Is there a way to make apple discover my other speaker groups?

A good example of how it should work is with Spotify. On IOS it shows all my speaker groups. In Audible it only displays my sonos5 speaker group. If I use the sonos app to play audible I can select a speaker group. I’m interested in using Air Play. Thanks in advance.
I’m using sonos Version: 10.1 (build 49263270)
icon

Best answer by pwt 23 April 2019, 15:54

I was not clear enough. I have both Play:1 and Play:5 speakers. I’m able to see my Play:5 speaker on IOS 12.2 using AirPlay but I’m not able to see my Play:1 speakers.
Right: that's because your Play:1 speakers do not support AirPlay. The support article below may help.
https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/airplay
View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Do you have Sonos One speakers, or Sonos Play:1 speakers? Only the former support AirPlay.
Emmmm,

I suspect your speakers are Play:1, rather than Sonos One, as pwt mentions. In the Spotify App with a premium subscription, you will see those speakers as they are all accessible via the Spotify 'connect' service. The audible app on the other hand uses 'airplay' so you will only see the Play 5 (Gen2) as that is the only compatible airplay speaker, or so it seems.
Badge
I was not clear enough. I have both Play:1 and Play:5 speakers. I’m able to see my Play:5 speaker on IOS 12.2 using AirPlay but I’m not able to see my Play:1 speakers.

Play:1
Version: 10.1 (build 49263270)
Hardware Version: 1.20.1.6-1
Series ID: A200

Play:5
Version: 10.1 (build 49263270)
Hardware Version: 1.13.1.8-1
Series ID: C200
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Right: that's because your Play:1 speakers do not support AirPlay. The support article below may help.
https://www.sonos.com/en-gb/airplay

As stated, Play:1 speakers are not Airplay 2 compatible. Only the Beam, Playbase, One, and Play:5 (Gen 2) will show up as Airplay targets.
However, once you have AirPlay 2 in the Sonos system, you can group any other speakers in your Sonos system with the receiving speaker. I often group my PLAYBAR room with a PLAY:5 gen 2 to listen to baseball games sent via AirPlay 2.