Airplay and windows PC

Badge
Hi everyone,

Did somebody managed to stream the audio from a windows 10 PC to Sonos via Airplay?

I was very excited with the AP2 update as I've been hoping that it will allow me to stream the audio from my PC straight to my Sonos speakers. Till now I've been using SWYH, but it introduces a 2-3 seconds delay, which is too much if you want to watch Youtube or some other video content.
So, I've tried several solutions to make Airplay work with my windows 10 PC:
- iTunes works perfectly on win10, which is cool, but only if you want to listen to music
- Airfoil seemed to be the solution I was looking for, but it asks a password when I try to connect it with Sonos
- TuneBlade could be another solution, it recognizes the speakers, but doesn't connect to them at all

If you have find a solution, your help will be very welcomed!
Kind regards.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

15 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
Following
Same problem with me. So following the issue. Did you try to communicate with Airfoil or TuneBlade?
Badge
Yes, with Airfoil. The answer was that they do not support Sonos AP2 hardware atm, but they are ivestigating the possibility of this.
I got Airfoil to work, but the lag is too long to be able to watch videos, it is badly out of sync (two seconds or so). Got around the password problem by going to the Home app on iOS, tapping the house icon in the upper left hand corner, and then Home Settings, and then select your home as named. Scroll down and make sure Allow Speaker Access is set to Everyone.

Can't get Tuneblade to work, and that's the better solution, since they have a very low latency mode for watching TV. I would really like to get this to work because I would like to use my cheap soundbar on my TV in conjunction with my two Sonos Ones when I watch a movie or just to play music. So close!
This really needs to be addressed, I dont understand why sonos want to be the one wireless solution for your home entertainment but yet limit the software so much. Having invested all of this money in a Sonos system through the whole house, it would be really useful to if it could address all of your audio needs, currently, I feel I could achieve more with a normal speaker and a cable.
When I used to play music through my separate alexa device and a speaker, I used to be able to like the PC up this via Bluetooth, but even this possibility has been removed now!
This really needs to be addressed, I dont understand why sonos want to be the one wireless solution for your home entertainment but yet limit the software so much. Having invested all of this money in a Sonos system through the whole house, it would be really useful to if it could address all of your audio needs, currently, I feel I could achieve more with a normal speaker and a cable.
When I used to play music through my separate alexa device and a speaker, I used to be able to like the PC up this via Bluetooth, but even this possibility has been removed now!

Exactly how is Sonos supposed to put Airplay 2, an Apple produced protocol, on a PC, a Windows based product, without violating Apple patents?
The most recent iTunes v12.8.0.150 supports Airplay2 on Windows. The whole Airplay2 package is only available on Apple hardware I'm afraid.
It's not very difficult to do, I airplay stuff all the time to my apple tv via my pc and from my phone to my PC. Reflector, airparrot, airfoil or (and ive not used it but the guys earlier in the thread were talking about it) tuneblade.
But if you notice I never actually mentioned they do it via airplay... the point is that when you spend over a £1000 on a wireless speaker set, it would be nice if I then didn't have to have to keep your previous speaker hooked up to the PC in order to play sound from it. great now I've got 2 speakers!!
If the prospect of getting sound from a PC to play through a sonos wireless speaker is too difficult then im a little upset I just dropped all that money on them.
It's not very difficult to do, I airplay stuff all the time to my apple tv via my pc and from my phone to my PC. Reflector, airparrot, airfoil or (and ive not used it but the guys earlier in the thread were talking about it) tuneblade.
But if you notice I never actually mentioned they do it via airplay... the point is that when you spend over a £1000 on a wireless speaker set, it would be nice if I then didn't have to have to keep your previous speaker hooked up to the PC in order to play sound from it. great now I've got 2 speakers!!
If the prospect of getting sound from a PC to play through a sonos wireless speaker is too difficult then im a little upset I just dropped all that money on them.

Every one of those is an unauthorized hack written by a guy in his basement, which is why Apple "tolerates" them (actually, Apple rearranges their protocol every once in a while to foil these hacks). Sonos is a billion dollar company that would get sued faster than you can say "Steve Jobs".

As to the rest, the title of this thread is "Airplay and windows PC". Forgive me if I thought you were talking about Airplay via a Windows PC. 😉
Badge
Here is an update about the solutions I've been looking for.
1) SWYH was the open source little software running in the background of my PC for a while. It has some imperfections and in my case required permanent restart. But I was pretty happy with it when watching a movie through VLC.
2) Airfoil - I've tried the free version a few months ago. It solves all the problems I had with SWYH, but it didn't convenience me to go for the premium version as it still has the 2seconds delay I had had with SWYH.
3)Tuneblade - I've tried it a few days ago and immediately bought the premium version. It doesn't completely cancel the delay, but reduce it to under half of second (or even less). It still doesn't sync the audio, however it makes possible to watch some video content in my case. What I love the most is its integration with VLC for YouTube videos. It simply runs the YouTube content through VLC with no delay. Moreover, it automatically syncs VLC with the audio from Sonos for both YouTube and movies I have on PC.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Thanks for updating! This is my experience too.

In addition: There is an option in Airfoil to minimize the buffer size, too. It's a slider which is not labelled, so you don't know exactly what value is set. But from what I could figure the minimum that works with my setup is roughly the same lag (~400ms) as in Tuneblade. (As of Airfoil for Windows 5.6.0)

This leaves the questions:
Why is AirPlay2 roughly lipsynced when using Apple hardware, but this seems not possible with TuneBlade/Airfoil?
Why does TuneBlade require a minimum of 192ms buffer size for Sonos? Is this a requirement of the speakers?
Bonus: Why the hell is it not possibly to start a transmission directly from SWYH (needs starting from Sonos)?

On a side note I could not observe any progress on Android apps like Tubio or AllCast. They seem to be stuck in Airplay 1 or whatever is causing the issues with Sonos. Let me know if you observe otherwise!
Badge
Interesting questions!

As for Android. I have a TV box running on a rooted version of Android. I've been using AirAudio for movies, which works fine for me. It introduces a similar audio delay as SWYH, but one is able to start the transmission directly from the app.
The downside of the app is that it requires to root your Android device.
Its a shame sonos dont add the api, for the built in feature in windows 10, where you can connect to wireless audio devices and wireless displays.. as windows already supports wireless audio it shouldn't be a headache for sonos to connect via that api ( if they let it via a software/firmware update) they are working of adding google assistant, why not work on windows, as im pretty sure a few of us are using windows as a media player in our home cinemas
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Its a shame sonos dont add the api, for the built in feature in windows 10, where you can connect to wireless audio devices and wireless displays.. as windows already supports wireless audio it shouldn't be a headache for sonos to connect via that api ( if they let it via a software/firmware update) they are working of adding google assistant, why not work on windows, as im pretty sure a few of us are using windows as a media player in our home cinemas

I feel pretty comfortable in saying that the volume of customers who are interested in Google integration is significantly higher that those who are looking for integration with windows. As far as working with home cinemas, you absolutely can use your windows media player. You just have to have your media player wired to a Sonos home theatre product directly, or indirectly through the TV. Since you generally want your speaker to be near your video display, and you aren't going to send video from the PC to your display wirelessly, I'm not seeing why this is a big concern for the vast majority of customers.
I'm not sure if you realize it, but there are two Windows 10 built in OS options, for streaming directly from Windows to Sonos speakers.

If you open Windows Media Player, it will list all of your network devices in the left column, you can select any music in your library and stream directly from Windows Media Player. I have 2 Sonos Beams, and they are both listed with their IP Addresses..

The other method would be to open up Windows File Explorer in your Music folder, right click on the files(or drag select multiple files) Click on Cast, and your Sonos IP should show up by Sonos name and IP address. Just select and this will open up windows media streaming window and automatically add the song/s to it's play list. If you want to add more songs to the playlist, just select additional song/s, right click and cast to the same Sonos device to add to the current playback list.

I hope I explained this properly 🙂