Airplay

Badge

I am unable to get Airplay to work on any speaker in any room. I have a Soundbar, Bass, and two Sonos Ones in the living room. I have turned off the Alexa feature on the Sonos Ones. I have two Sonos Play 1’s in the bedroom and two 3’s in the bathroom. I am unable to get Airplay to work at all with any of the speakers. When I go to iTunes and click on the icon to stream not a single one of my speakers show up as an option. All speakers are on the same Wifi as all my Apple devices. 

Needless to say, this is so frustrating. 

So, how do I get this fixed?

15 replies

The two speakers that should be showing up in AirPlay 2 are the Sonos Ones. Those are the only speakers from your list that have AirPlay 2 capability. Once you ‘send’ to one of those, you’d be able to group any other Sonos speakers with it as normal.

What OS version are you running on your Mac? Which version of the Music app (iTunes has been removed as a music player by Apple)?

But if the Ones are being used as surrounds then you cannot use them for Airplay. 

Excellent point. I was, for some reason, assigning the PLAY:1s as surrounds, probably because I’ve got that setup, but the OP does clearly state the PLAY:1s are in the bedroom. So, I’d switch those around, and use the PLAY:1 pair as surrounds, and put the Sonos Ones in the bedroom.

Badge

Thanks for your quick replies. I want to make sure I understand: if I put the Play 1’s in the living room to make them part of the surround and use the Play Ones as stand-alone or as a pair, I can use AirPlay2 with those via iTunes? Then I would go to the Sonos app and group the house together? 

Yes that would work. Start playing Airplay  2 to one of the Ones (or stereo pair):then group any other speakers to the one playing the Airplay  stream.

I should also say that to play from iTunes on  a Mac I would not use Airplay anyway, but the Sonos Music library.

Badge

Thanks, John! I would use that secondary method of playing through Sonos library but only songs purchased show up in playlists in Sonos. The lack of features with Sonos vs subscribing to Apple Music just isn’t worth my investment in these speakers. I’m really considering getting rid of my Sonos and replace them with Apple Homepods. 

Thanks, John! I would use that secondary method of playing through Sonos library but only songs purchased show up in playlists in Sonos. The lack of features with Sonos vs subscribing to Apple Music just isn’t worth my investment in these speakers. I’m really considering getting rid of my Sonos and replace them with Apple Homepods. 

You do know that the Homepod is considered by many to be a flop?  Just Google “Homepod flop” or “Homepod failure”.  And remember, Apple tends to bury their flops, ceasing all support, and making it seem like they never existed. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Your two Sonos ones unpaired from surrounds would have working airplay2 the same as homepods.  

the issue you have why it’s not working the way have is that you have the play at which is pre-airplay2.  If you had a Sonos beam as your sound bar everyth8ng would be working as is with airplay2 to your whole surround system. 

Badge

So planned obsolescence, eh?

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

No - speaker releases before Airplay2 existed.  

that is more of an Apple norm

sonos have continued to supported speakers with their apps that are over 10years old.  And continues.   

So planned obsolescence, eh?

The Playbar design precedes Airplay 2 by half a decade.  You cannot “plan obsolescence” for something that doesn’t even exist yet.  Also, if Sonos were planning obsolescence, why would they include Airplay 2 support in the Playbase and Play:5 Gen 2?   They both were released well before Airplay 2, but unlike the Playbar, they had the necessary hardware requirements.

Badge

Airplay 2 didn’t come out until 2018 or 2019 and yet 2nd gen Play 5’s that came out in 2015 can work with airplay, right? So yea, planned obsolescence. 

Airplay 2 didn’t come out until 2018 or 2019 and yet 2nd gen Play 5’s that came out in 2015 can work with airplay, right? So yea, planned obsolescence. 

You are making no sense.  The Play:5 Gen 2 working with Airplay 2 is the very opposite of planned obsolescence.  The fact is, the hardware in the Playbar is not capable of running Airplay 2, the newer hardware in the Play:5 is.  That’s not “planned” anything, it’s just the reality of computer hardware.  

The play:5 gen 2s were first introduced with more memory, well after the play:1s were introduced.  It’s natural that future released products will have more memory as memory becomes cheaper.  Neither were built with airplay 2 in mind, since it didn’t exist, but the play:5 happen to be able to handle it.

If your argument is that products need to be future proofed for features that don’t exist yet, then every single tech product ever made would be planned obsolescence.