Answered

AirPlay 2 request

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

Sonos probably won't die quickly if they don't implement this, but the vast majority of people I know with Sonos are also Apple owners. So when they see that Apple offers a solution, I imagine many, like me, will be looking closely at it instead.
Yes, but that is an example of poor population sampling. I use Apple as well, but I don't care for Airplay because it is a kludge in the first place with its hub/spoke architecture that leaves it a lot less reliable/robust than Sonos when Sonosnet is invoked as it needs to be for best wireless performance. And there are many here that like Sonos and dislike Apple.
As far as I am concerned even if Airplay 2 has reached those levels of reliability that Sonos did long ago, I see no reason to use a reinvented wheel at my home.
If this is successful, I expect it to expand the market and not take much share from Sonos as long as Sonos doesn't make a hash of the Alexa integration; not a feature I need, but voice control is a new market segment.
We must move in different circles. I must know at least 20 people with Sonos systems. Some are Apple users. None of them gives a **** about Airplay. They bought Sonos to play music from their computers (including iTunes libraries), from their phones (some of them iPhones), from music services (e.g. Apple Music). Sonos does all they want. Reading this thread you would think Sonos was ignoring Apple users. That is not so.
I would love to see built-in Airplay support. 99% of iPhone users know how to use the Apple Music App and want to use it and many do not want to use a new app (like Sonos). I get beat up by my familiy every week why I installed that stupid Sonos system... As soon as you have more than one Sonos speaker/zone, using an Airport Express attached to your Sonos system creates a complicated user experience as you have to switch between apps to select the speaker you want to play on. Airplay support (creating one Airplay device per Sonos speaker/zone) would provide best in class integration and seamless user experience on all Apple devices!
Badge
I would love to see built-in Airplay support. 99% of iPhone users know how to use the Apple Music App and want to use it and many do not want to use a new app (like Sonos). I get beat up by my familiy every week why I installed that stupid Sonos system... As soon as you have more than one Sonos speaker/zone, using an Airport Express attached to your Sonos system creates a complicated user experience as you have to switch between apps to select the speaker you want to play on. Airplay support (creating one Airplay device per Sonos speaker/zone) would provide best in class integration and seamless user experience on all Apple devices!

Thats exactly my opinion.
Today i gave back my play3 and discontinued my testing with the playbase and return it to my retailer.

I still have 3 play1, 2 play 5 (1 is dying now I think) and a connect AMP. These I will hold until december and then they will go on sale.

Sorry sonos - the reviews confirm that the homepod outperforms a play 3 and that is amazing.

In my opinion for tech fans sonos is out of order - qualitywise and for smart technology of course.
They waited to long and now its over - this will be a slow desth but a 100% one.

Sorry I was a really big fan of sonos so far 😞
Badge
Hopefully - then i will keep my existig stuff - but the brain and next devices will be homepods who control sonos via airplay (hopefully)

But no sonos device will be bought - and this will not only be my idea.
Hopefully - then i will keep my existig stuff - but the brain and next devices will be homepods who control sonos via airplay (hopefully)

But no sonos device will be bought - and this will not only be my idea.

So why exactly would Sonos care about your wishes if you will never again buy their product? Not really the best way to advance your cause.
Badge
Cause this means less revenue - and there will be a lot that think like me
Cause this means less revenue - and there will be a lot that think like me

It's less revenue no matter what they do, according to your own words. Matter of fact, if they do nothing you threatened to sell your Sonos, presumably to someone who wants Sonos for what it does now, and who may choose to add on, thus generating more revenue.

In other words threatening to never buy Sonos again no matter if they support Airplay or not gives you zero leverage. It's like me threatening to never buy Dunkin Donuts again unless they are more like Starbucks, and even if they suddenly dark roast their beans and make machiattos, I'm still buying Starbucks.

Admit it, you really didn't put much thought into your threat, did you?
I have purchased a lot of sonos speakers and it is going to be painful to pull out of this eco system but I’m afraid I have to. This company just seems to be out of touch with what their customers want. There are two points that make buying sonos going forward a non starter for me.

1) They have a home theater system that doesn’t support the latest ways to connect to tv’s. They even released the new play base and it only accepts optical audio. I personally love optical audio but unfortunately it is a dead standard and it is a pain to find tv’s that properly support it.

2) Their continued lack of support for AirPlay. The old version of it would have been nice not as a way to stream to individual speakers but if a group of speakers that you set up could have recieved an airplay stream that would have been brilliant. I’m certain they won’t support AirPlay 2 and for me this is unacceptable.

These are my two biggest complaints but I have others. I know some people will think these aren’t big deals but i believe most sonos customers have one or two deal breaker issues like this and Sonos just seems unwilling to address any portion of their communities needs.

RIP Sonos
1) They have a home theater system that doesn’t support the latest ways to connect to tv’s. They even released the new play base and it only accepts optical audio. I personally love optical audio but unfortunately it is a dead standard and it is a pain to find tv’s that properly support it.
I dare say the HomePod isn't going to play nicely (aka simultaneously) with Apple TV.
And yet another first time poster fortelling "RIP Sonos" because they aren't currently supporting an Apple shiny object announcement. It's like 2010 all over again and the JRDF is in full effect. 😃