Answered

AirPlay 2 request

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge
You can use this https://sourceforge.net/projects/aircast-airupnp/ and you'll have AirPlay on your Sonos players. Just set the latency parameter to the 1000:2000 for Sonos and that'll work
I will be selling my Sonos surround setup due to lack of airplay support.

I've enjoyed the Sonos experience until now, but other solutions that include airplay support offer a more compelling experience for me from my many apple devices.
I will be selling my Sonos surround setup due to lack of airplay support.

I've enjoyed the Sonos experience until now, but other solutions that include airplay support offer a more compelling experience for me from my many apple devices.

Perhaps you didn't read the designated answer in this thread, a post from a Sonos rep confirming that they are actively working with Apple concerning Airplay 2 support? :8

Perhaps you didn't read the designated answer in this thread, a post from a Sonos rep confirming that they are actively working with Apple concerning Airplay 2 support? :8

I did notice the 3 month old non-answer with no followup. Since then we have seen a Sonos app update solely to enable user data collection, which I find deplorable, and there have been announcements made about developments of other features (new hardware for Alexa integration), which I have no interest in and which suggests Sonos' focus and direction is not with my use cases.

I've had over a year of enjoyment of this setup, but it's time to move on before it becomes further obsolete.
That's ok, Sonos loves second hand sales. The new owners actually want the product, and tend to buy more. Anything to get them in the family.
FYI, this was announced officially today. :)

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/4/16418944/sonos-airplay-2-support-apple-ios-siri-2018
Sonos have missed the boat with voice. Where is Alexa-alike support?

Coming October 4th

Sonos missed the boat with their own app eco system. Why isn’t their a stream to sonos sdk? (Missed revenue!)

There is, you are very uninformed.

Sonos did ok with their Spotify Connect support but you cannot stop.

Stay tuned.

Innovate or integrate please Sonos.

Please name ONE multiroom system that's even remotely as innovative as Sonos.

AirPlay 2 will buy you time.

If you were paying attention at all, you will have read the Sonos rep's response above.

@ chicks,

The official announcement of the Play:1 for Alexa support was on October 4th ... not many new about it prior to then. You can't blame the person you quoted based on their post September 12, 2017.

Comparable Competition to Sonos ... Naim [NAIM MU-SO QB: AirPlay, Spotify Connect, UPnP, Tidal, Bluetooth, USB, optical digital, analogue, Wi-Fi, ethernet & multi-room] , Bang & Olufsen (which supports AirPlay), Devialet Phantom, MASTER & DYNAMIC, and a few more. Seems you maybe uninformed? What a quality wireless speaker can play and connect to in terms of features/services ... is a matter of software and licensing agreements (including using a services, or API's brand). Either Sonos enables more of these through the strong demand of their customers or soon enough they'll loose these customers to others that will. That's free enterprise, not sure why anyone would want otherwise.

Hi everyone, a lot of great activity in here, glad to see you're all interested.

We’re encouraged by the dramatic improvements Apple has made to Airplay with Airplay 2, and we’re actively working with them to see how these improvements might deliver a great experience for Sonos owners. We don’t have specific details to share today, but we’re constantly pushing to bring new features and options to Sonos all the time.

When there's any news or plans available in the future we'll be sure to let you all know.

The official Sonos rep response is vague and non-descript in full thus non-conclusive.

AppleInsider:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/10/04/sonos-announces-support-for-apples-airplay-2-wireless-standard-coming-in-2018

Announced by Sono's Allen Mask at a media event in New York, AirPlay 2 support means users will be able to control Sonos speakers via HomeKit and Siri, directing music to the hardware via their voice.

AirPlay 2 support for Sonos devices is scheduled to arrive next year, Mask said.

"There had to be a seamless connection between Sonos and Apple, and so we waited until we could get it right, together," he said.

The addition of AirPlay 2 will let users control their entire Sonos system by just speaking. In an onstage demonstration, Mask showed how a user could interact with a Sonos speaker to skip ahead to a next track playing on a wirelessly connected iPad.

Support for AirPlay 2 is systemwide, meaning users can have sound come through Sonos speakers when not only listening to music, but also playing videos, games or apps.

TheVerge:
https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/4/16418944/sonos-airplay-2-support-apple-ios-siri-2018

Sonos just announced that it’ll be adding support for Apple’s new AirPlay 2 standard to its speakers next year. In addition to making it easier to play music from iOS devices, AirPlay 2 means that — much like the recently announced Alexa support — users will be able to use Siri on iOS devices and eventually Apple’s HomePod to control their Sonos systems.

AirPlay 2 also enables multi-room support for AirPlay speakers, meaning that you’ll be able to integrate Sonos devices with other AirPlay 2 speakers for a seamless experience across your home — including Apple’s HomePod, which was originally announced as a competitor to Sonos’ devices.

Unlike the original AirPlay, AirPlay 2 doesn't require special hardware anymore, but is entirely software-based, which allows for companies like Sonos to add support to their devices after the fact.

For those Sonos owners participating in this thread that are against AirPlay for whatever reason or not ... you need to think beyond your lifestyle or the conveniences we all have and consider those with no arms or ability to use their arms and feet. I'm not joking on this either ... born, war veterans/casualties, those suffered in major car, plane, train accidents etc. They have the right like all of us to enjoy their music, audio books, computer and TV/Movies as sound coming through their Sonos speakers as well.

For those of you that think AirPlay was a failure clearly have no idea what AirPlay enables and how it intergrates into HomeKit ... especially for someone that's a quadraplegic ... such as Todd:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PoE9tHg_P0

Have a look ... and think ... how an AirPlay speaker would help him using a computer: reading accessibility via Voice while in another room, door bell ringing over loud music he could be listening too, home theatre, enhancing a video call.

Man some people need to get out of their own world to consider the benefits of enabling a simple API or feature that an existing hardware can support, support well, and enhance lives beyond just convenience.
So, since the Connect and Amp aren't speakers, they seem outside of the scope of the announcement, but sounds like no Airplay 2 for them???
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
They will play Airplay 2 if they are group with Sonos One, Plabase, or Play:5g2.

ON their own they dont' have the processing power to decode the airplay stream (has nothing to do with them actually being speakers). If we see a Connect gen2 or Amp gen2 they will do airplay natively then.
I understand that SonosNet is allegedly superior to Wi-Fi/AirPlay for streaming.. but I hope Sonos re-considers the decision to not implement AirPlay. Now with AirPlay 2 supporting HomeKit integration, I really do not desire purchasing a Sonos Connect & Airport Express for every room in order to stream to all of my Sonos speakers outside of the Sonos app and tie-in to HomeKit.

I'm streaming Tidal from my laptop via AirPlay and it sounds great. I think downsampling the masters still results in a superior sound. Thoughts?
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
This is an older thread, but I wanted to post and update to make sure everyone knows that we've added AirPlay 2 support to Sonos. You can read more about the integration here.