Answered

AirPlay 2 request

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

Apples strength is Software + Hardware.

Apple's strength is huge margins on less advanced products, and a large user base dumb enough to not understand this.
Well, Apple does catch up all the time, but they are good at it. That means they're better now with their kind of reverse engineering than pure innovation. Anyway sonos is even worse.

Most tech innovations come from startups, which apples sometimes acquire to develop or kill.

So their strength is hardware and software, but they play catch up all the time and use reverse engineering instead of pure innovation? Seems to be a glaring conflict in those two statements.

Also, if that is so, they had 5 years to "catch up" and "reverse engineer" Sonos, yet they came out with the unreliable and obsolete-the-day-it-was-released failure that was Airplay 1. Funny enough, Apple fans were here in droves preaching the imminent death of Sonos at the hands of Apple on that day, too.
No one in their right mind will buy multiple HomePods to outfit every room in their house like they buy Sonos.

Much like the rest of the industry, you don't seem to understand Apple or its customer base. Apple's eco system is practically bullet proof...

I am Apple's customer base. I'm obsessed with Apple and fully integrated into everything they do, hence my hesitation to adopt Sonos until I see how they decide to play with Apple. I still don't see the point in having a HomePod in every room, much less 2.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Well, Apple does catch up all the time, but they are good at it. That means they're better now with their kind of reverse engineering than pure innovation. Anyway sonos is even worse.

Most tech innovations come from startups, which apples sometimes acquire to develop or kill.

So their strength is hardware and software, but they play catch up all the time and use reverse engineering instead of pure innovation? Seems to be a glaring conflict in those two statements.

Also, if that is so, they had 5 years to "catch up" and "reverse engineer" Sonos, yet they came out with the unreliable and obsolete-the-day-it-was-released failure that was Airplay 1. Funny enough, Apple fans were here in droves preaching the imminent death of Sonos at the hands of Apple on that day, too.

There is no conflict there.

On a side note sonos released their multiroom system in 2005, airplay 1 was not a competitor at all, its 2017 and airplay 2 was announced. 12 years to catch-up. Is airplay 2 innovation? No. Was airplay an innovation, it was. Still during these 12 years sonos could do a lot more to stay ahead. They're loosing ground.
Sigh.
IMO, Airplay was just a neat marketing trick to sell audio connectivity as a extra feature of a WiFi extender/network interface device for things like printers and servers. The combined optical analog output socket was perhaps an innovation at the time. But the audio side of things suffered from the hub/spoke architecture that was good enough for the primary function.

If Airplay 2 still uses hub/spoke, why will it be as good as Sonosnet for audio, particularly for grouped speakers playing the same music? Perhaps it is, but there isn't much of case for it till that is seen to be the case.
I would agree that Apple is excellent at marketing and that Apple's successes are often due to tight integration of hardware and software. I think their faults lie in the areas where they rely on marketing over a solid innovative product and when they refuse to work with other companies that have strengths they can't match.

I have no doubt that Apple will have success in this market. There are too many consumers out there who will buy it just because. They may even be the revenue leader since each unit costs 2 to 7 times their competitors (Amazon and Google). They may put a dent in Sonos business, but I tend to think the market's going to get bigger this year, and there's room for everyone.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
No one in their right mind will buy multiple HomePods to outfit every room in their house like they buy Sonos. And although the idea of a pair of HomePods in a room is nice for sound quality, how can you justify paying the price to have 2 "brains" in the room when you really only need one? That leaves people interested in the HomePod to buy AirPlay-enabled speakers if they want to go the wireless sound route.

I have been researching Sonos for months and was going to pull the trigger very soon but now I'm in a holding pattern to see how they address the HomePod/Airplay 2. I'm not interested in using Alexa or Google Home.

I'd like to see Sonos support Airplay 2 so that Sonos users can buy 1 HomePod to add to their Sonos home sound system.

Well said. Many are trying to pick a fight between Sonos/Apple (and those that use Apple products), when adding support for AirPlay 2 does nothing but strengthen Sonos through adding functionality to those who would use it sometimes. This is another great use case.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi everyone, a lot of great activity in here, glad to see you're all interested.

We’re encouraged by the dramatic improvements Apple has made to Airplay with Airplay 2, and we’re actively working with them to see how these improvements might deliver a great experience for Sonos owners. We don’t have specific details to share today, but we’re constantly pushing to bring new features and options to Sonos all the time.

When there's any news or plans available in the future we'll be sure to let you all know.

Thank you. Although it may or may not be dramatic.. I'm hopeful Sonos will implement the support in order to meet a need that will alleviate the need.

Well said. Many are trying to pick a fight between Sonos/Apple (and those that use Apple products), when adding support for AirPlay 2 does nothing but strengthen Sonos through adding functionality to those who would use it sometimes. This is another great use case.

And since Apple doesn't seem to like Sonos these days, you have to wonder if Apple would allow Sonos to use AirPlay 2. I don't know if that the case, but I wouldn't assume, if the integration doesn't happen, that Sonos is the side preventing integration.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

And since Apple doesn't seem to like Sonos these days, you have to wonder if Apple would allow Sonos to use AirPlay 2. I don't know if that the case, but I wouldn't assume, if the integration doesn't happen, that Sonos is the side preventing integration.

meh. We could assume that gossip all day long (like many in this thread are trying to do).
I'm not basing my assumption on gossip, but on Apple going on stage, throwing up a picture of Sonos Play:3 and essentially saying "our product is better then their's". It doesn't invoke thoughts of "I bet these two companies are going add integration soon". But I don't know, it's just an assumption.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I'm not basing my assumption on gossip, but on Apple going on stage, throwing up a picture of Sonos Play:3 and essentially saying "our product is better then their's". It doesn't invoke thoughts of "I bet these two companies are going add integration soon". But I don't know, it's just an assumption.

They also have made a lifetime of jabs at Microsoft, yet they have products and services that work with them. Just because they want to compete, doesn't mean they don't like Sonos or their staff. Likely wouldn't stop them from taking a big check for licensing, if that's what takes place to get it implemented.
Userlevel 2
Badge
It would be funny to see that airplay2 infringed sonos propietary rights. And then Apple pulled sonos app from Apple store as a negotition move.:8
I love that this question was answered in the way that it was. Makes me excited for possible home-kit integrated Sonos speakers....
I hope Sonos becomes more responsive to customers. I had already been holding off on future purchases since I had to kluge together support for AirPlay using a Connect and Denon receiver. My other biggest issue was wanting voice control for times I have my hands full or am in the shower etc. With the HomePod announcement, Apple has solutions to both these issues. I'm strongly considering switching. Apple put a shot across Sonos's bow and called Sonos out by name.

I found it interesting they called them out as not being a smart speaker, but I think Sonos has made great strides in introducing lots of cool software updates. I doubt the HomePod will be able to touch the quality of having a Playbar, two Plays, and a sub.. The microphone inclusion might be nice but my phone & watch already do that. Time will tell.

I just hope they decide to implement AirPlay 2 support. My next option would be to setup an "AirPlay server", with an AirPort Express key and modified Sonos firmware for a hacked solution to AirPlay streaming. I don't think that will work for the HomeKit integration though.

Plex media server + sonos.
Easy.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Have never really figured out why Sonos simply wouldn't pay the royalties and get Airplay running on their systems. It's not going to add a huge percentage to what isn't exactly a super cheap system. I have Airport Express's running off a few of my Connect Amp's and it can be so convenient playing from any music app I have. I look at Sonos speakers as simply wireless speakers and feel we shouldn't be locked down with Sonos' app centric design. I appreciate not every app like Spotify will have native Sonos control but surely Airplay is the easiest & most user convenient solution to enable all apps to play music to Sonos.
Userlevel 1
Couldn't agree more with how great Airplay support would be. I was at a friends on the weekend who has B & O speakers. I connected to her wifi network, POW. Done. The music app, podcast aps, it seemed anything could use her speakers. It was so simple, so easy. Come on Sonos, join the party please.
Userlevel 1
And BTW, I don't want Airplay to impress people who visit. I would use it all the time. I play a lot of podcasts, so have playlists set up on my phone. It would be great to continue listening when I get home on my Sonos(s). Yes, I can access podcasts through the app but it's not as simple as a podcast app on the phone. It would be soooooo much simpler if I could just pickup where I left off.
I like using Apple products and it would be nice to control my sonos speakers from the control panel and with HomeKit instead of having to use the sonos app all the time. Airplay 2 support would allow this. Sonos is already on the pricey end so anyone buying it would consider the HomePod, especually is Apple ever comes out with a sound bar. Consider Siri and airplay 2 support before Apple steals your customers with its HomePod.
+1 for AirPlay 2/HomeKit support. This isn't an area where Apple and Sonos would compete, but rather complement each other.
Sonos have missed the boat with voice. Where is Alexa-alike support?

Sonos missed the boat with their own app eco system. Why isn’t their a stream to sonos sdk? (Missed revenue!)

Sonos forces up-sell to Play 5 for line in support with no support for virtual line in.

Sonos did ok with their Spotify Connect support but you cannot stop.

Innovate or integrate please Sonos.

AirPlay 2 will buy you time.
Sonos have missed the boat with voice. Where is Alexa-alike support?

Coming October 4th

Sonos missed the boat with their own app eco system. Why isn’t their a stream to sonos sdk? (Missed revenue!)

There is, you are very uninformed.

Sonos did ok with their Spotify Connect support but you cannot stop.

Stay tuned.

Innovate or integrate please Sonos.

Please name ONE multiroom system that's even remotely as innovative as Sonos.

AirPlay 2 will buy you time.

If you were paying attention at all, you will have read the Sonos rep's response above.
Sigh.
Have bought Sonos home theatre recently, mostly happy with them, and the only downside is what's mentioned in this thread: no airplay support

While Sonos app is great and has lots of contents within, not being able to simply play any music from other apps in my mobile is frustrating. Yes there are alternative methods e.g. Apple TV which I happen to own one, but for a high price audio speaker brand like Sonos, I expect simpler ways. And many times I just want to listen to music, but if I play through Apple TV, I have to turn on my television otherwise there's no audio output.

Thinking of returning my Sonos speakers if couldn't see any improvements recently. Preventing ur customers from using ur speakers through other apps is really not a wise thought.

Btw: Does anyone know is it possible to use Sonos speakers as the audio output of my windows laptop? It's not as urgent problem as airplay but would still be happy if it's feasible.