Answered

AirPlay 2 request

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

Hopefully - then i will keep my existig stuff - but the brain and next devices will be homepods who control sonos via airplay (hopefully)

But no sonos device will be bought - and this will not only be my idea.

So why exactly would Sonos care about your wishes if you will never again buy their product? Not really the best way to advance your cause.
Badge
Cause this means less revenue - and there will be a lot that think like me
Cause this means less revenue - and there will be a lot that think like me

It's less revenue no matter what they do, according to your own words. Matter of fact, if they do nothing you threatened to sell your Sonos, presumably to someone who wants Sonos for what it does now, and who may choose to add on, thus generating more revenue.

In other words threatening to never buy Sonos again no matter if they support Airplay or not gives you zero leverage. It's like me threatening to never buy Dunkin Donuts again unless they are more like Starbucks, and even if they suddenly dark roast their beans and make machiattos, I'm still buying Starbucks.

Admit it, you really didn't put much thought into your threat, did you?
I have purchased a lot of sonos speakers and it is going to be painful to pull out of this eco system but I’m afraid I have to. This company just seems to be out of touch with what their customers want. There are two points that make buying sonos going forward a non starter for me.

1) They have a home theater system that doesn’t support the latest ways to connect to tv’s. They even released the new play base and it only accepts optical audio. I personally love optical audio but unfortunately it is a dead standard and it is a pain to find tv’s that properly support it.

2) Their continued lack of support for AirPlay. The old version of it would have been nice not as a way to stream to individual speakers but if a group of speakers that you set up could have recieved an airplay stream that would have been brilliant. I’m certain they won’t support AirPlay 2 and for me this is unacceptable.

These are my two biggest complaints but I have others. I know some people will think these aren’t big deals but i believe most sonos customers have one or two deal breaker issues like this and Sonos just seems unwilling to address any portion of their communities needs.

RIP Sonos
I know at least 30 Sonos users (having previously been a Sonos reseller), none of whom has any deal breaker issues. They are all happy with their systems and none has ever mentioned Airplay to me. You are entitled to your own preferences but your extension to other users is unjustified.
1) They have a home theater system that doesn’t support the latest ways to connect to tv’s. They even released the new play base and it only accepts optical audio. I personally love optical audio but unfortunately it is a dead standard and it is a pain to find tv’s that properly support it.
I dare say the HomePod isn't going to play nicely (aka simultaneously) with Apple TV.
And yet another first time poster fortelling "RIP Sonos" because they aren't currently supporting an Apple shiny object announcement. It's like 2010 all over again and the JRDF is in full effect. 😃
Badge
And yet another first time poster fortelling "RIP Sonos" because they aren't currently supporting an Apple shiny object announcement. It's like 2010 all over again and the JRDF is in full effect. :D

2010 there was not a such good speaker in pipeline from apple.

Everything out of one hand will be the keyword.

Apple is doing great in their ecosystem and now its time for speakers.

Everybody who ignores that will be supprisef 2018 - others will plan their exit on sonos. We live in a modern world and innavation will succeef.

Sonos is no innovator for years.
Userlevel 2
Badge

There is a lot of cheap converters around if you need one : https://goo.gl/images/Te9voe

I gave it a thought and I still think that I what would be the mostly welcomed by me is voice control over sonos systems accesible without having to be attached to apple (which i am at the moment). Also I hope Sonos will be able to control this piece of crabbage called homepod.
Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Sorry sonos - the reviews confirm that the homepod outperforms a play 3 and that is amazing.

I know that people are calling them "reviews" online, but if the product isn't going to be out for several months I feel like that's a "preview".

First, you're amazed that a speaker released 6 years later and sold for $50 more sounds better than the Play 3? You might want to boost your expectations :)

The reviews I've seen from (ex. What Hifi, Tech Radar) have mentioned a similar audio quality to the Play 3 with a heavy bass element. It also appears to all be from the same controlled environment, and I can't say I'm completely trusting of a competitor setting up the equipment.

Look, the HomePod is an interesting device. It offers an improved smart speaker listening experience, but it's occupying a questionable niche for me. The "reviews" talk about how easy it is to pair them. You're paying a lot of premium for the "smarts" this speaker offers, and every device that gets paired is essentially wasted for them.

If your desire is a single Apple smart speaker with good sound then your answer may be here later in 2017. If you have the desire for more speakers though, you're immediately treading on thin ice until I see something that suggests otherwise.

2010 there was not a such good speaker in pipeline from apple.

Everything out of one hand will be the keyword.

Apple is doing great in their ecosystem and now its time for speakers.

Everybody who ignores that will be supprisef 2018 - others will plan their exit on sonos. We live in a modern world and innavation will succeef.

Sonos is no innovator for years.

As I said, I heard the exact same thing about Airplay in 2010, and Apple buying Beats in 2014. Airplay turned out to be obsolete the day it came out, behind the stream-from-source architecture Sonos had 5 years earlier, and Apple's done nothing with Beats. Calling Apple an innovator for finally upgrading their offerings to what Sonos pioneered 12 years ago is quite rich.

Reminds of an old computer ad from the 80's. IBM claimed their belated entry into the mini-computer world would finally "Legitimize the market".

Data General, a pioneer in mini-computers along with DEC and others replied "The Bastards say 'Welcome.'"

And by the way, IBM's original mini-computer offering was a failure.
+1 to AirPlay 2 support.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, a lot of great activity in here, glad to see you're all interested.

We’re encouraged by the dramatic improvements Apple has made to Airplay with Airplay 2, and we’re actively working with them to see how these improvements might deliver a great experience for Sonos owners. We don’t have specific details to share today, but we’re constantly pushing to bring new features and options to Sonos all the time.

When there's any news or plans available in the future we'll be sure to let you all know.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
P.S. I made this thread a question and marked my post as an answer. That way it's right up there and easy to find if anyone goes looking for an "official reply". Please do keep up the discussion though.
Assuming Airplay 2 meets Sonos' expectations for appropriate quality for streaming, I'd be in favor of adding it as an option. Would reduce about 50% of the posts in these boards, I think 🙂
My only interest in the devices is to see if they have truly made any breakthroughs in sound quality; something that has largely stagnated across all makes for years now. Particularly to see if the Apple versions of Trueplay and stereo pairing are more effective than what Sonos does.

Long wait, I notice.
Well it is understandable from a buyers perspective that we do not have visibility into the corporate commercial agreements that SONOS has made with streaming music providers as well as the internal strategic roadmap that their product lines will follow competitively.

However that being said, lets imagine a world in the future where the Apple HomePod is released / marketed and a strong competitor like Bose, adapts to Airplay2. Now we have a market that is scary to SONOS and may cause a move albeit late.
Toady the fact that SONOS has the best speaker and home solution today, will not matter in the future business market. I mean really, who here bought their SONOS speakers because of copious marketing or interoperability with the ecosystems?

I'll personally bet less than 5% of you. But as we are in the future now, and the Apple and Google machines will:
* Market the HomeKit/Alexa with their home speakers as the ears and voice of the HUB (AppleTV / Google TV)
* Apple will not make speakers other than the HUB extenations, nor will google
* Bose and others will market themselves as the HomeKit / Alexa extension to the market who wants to actually hear what they see (a much broader market than niche).

So the last question ends up much like the first - "will be is there a business case for SONOS to become a hardware supplier to the ecosystems?"
If not, SONOS will become a smaller truly niche product; much like it is today.
If so SONOS may have to lower quality to compete in a mainstream market.

So don't tell SONOS things like wake up... They know where they are, their competitive space and their quality.
But SONOS, please note, that in the past there were no speakers from Apple or Google.
Their new ecosystems will use their devices as the ears and mouth for their new space and your competition will move in to bridge the market place. Think hard and long about the competitive landscape in 2 to 3 years.
You do not want to risk the acceptance of the first adopters in the market curve that AirPlay2 and that pod will make. Not to mention its long term repercussions.
No one in their right mind will buy multiple HomePods to outfit every room in their house like they buy Sonos. And although the idea of a pair of HomePods in a room is nice for sound quality, how can you justify paying the price to have 2 "brains" in the room when you really only need one? That leaves people interested in the HomePod to buy AirPlay-enabled speakers if they want to go the wireless sound route.

I have been researching Sonos for months and was going to pull the trigger very soon but now I'm in a holding pattern to see how they address the HomePod/Airplay 2. I'm not interested in using Alexa or Google Home.

I'd like to see Sonos support Airplay 2 so that Sonos users can buy 1 HomePod to add to their Sonos home sound system.
Userlevel 1
Apple HomePod + Sonos with AirPlay 2 would rock, hopefully it's just a firmware upgrade

There's only two problems with Sonos

1) Apple Home Kit / Siri integration for us Apple fans (thanks for Apple Music support btw)

2) My wife won't let me buy any more Sonos speakers, I need 4 more Sonos Play 5 speakers 😃
Userlevel 3
Badge
So don't tell SONOS things like wake up... They know where they are, their competitive space and their quality.
But SONOS, please note, that in the past there were no speakers from Apple or Google.
Their new ecosystems will use their devices as the ears and mouth for their new space and your competition will move in to bridge the market place. Think hard and long about the competitive landscape in 2 to 3 years.
You do not want to risk the acceptance of the first adopters in the market curve that AirPlay2 and that pod will make. Not to mention its long term repercussions.

This. How many people are still using the Lotus counting system or Word Perfect? Anyone still have an MP Man?
Userlevel 3
Badge
No one in their right mind will buy multiple HomePods to outfit every room in their house like they buy Sonos.

Much like the rest of the industry, you don't seem to understand Apple or its customer base. Apple's eco system is practically bullet proof...
No one in their right mind will buy multiple HomePods to outfit every room in their house like they buy Sonos.

Much like the rest of the industry, you don't seem to understand Apple or its customer base. Apple's eco system is practically bullet proof...

They said the same about Airplay 1, and yet here we are with Airplay 2, and Apple is still playing catch up.

They said the same about Apple networking products, yet now Apple is getting out of the router business.
Userlevel 3
Badge

They said the same about Airplay 1, and yet here we are with Airplay 2, and Apple still playing catchup.

Apples strength is Software + Hardware.

Apples strength is Software + Hardware.

Apple's strength is marketing. If their strength was software and hardware, their router business wouldn't be dying on the vine.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Well, Apple does catch up all the time, but they are good at it. That means they're better now with their kind of reverse engineering than pure innovation. Anyway sonos is even worse.

Most tech innovations come from startups, which apples sometimes acquire to develop or kill.