Answered

AirPlay 2 request

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

1) They have a home theater system that doesn’t support the latest ways to connect to tv’s. They even released the new play base and it only accepts optical audio. I personally love optical audio but unfortunately it is a dead standard and it is a pain to find tv’s that properly support it.

There is a lot of cheap converters around if you need one : https://goo.gl/images/Te9voe

I gave it a thought and I still think that I what would be the mostly welcomed by me is voice control over sonos systems accesible without having to be attached to apple (which i am at the moment). Also I hope Sonos will be able to control this piece of crabbage called homepod.

2010 there was not a such good speaker in pipeline from apple.

Everything out of one hand will be the keyword.

Apple is doing great in their ecosystem and now its time for speakers.

Everybody who ignores that will be supprisef 2018 - others will plan their exit on sonos. We live in a modern world and innavation will succeef.

Sonos is no innovator for years.

As I said, I heard the exact same thing about Airplay in 2010, and Apple buying Beats in 2014. Airplay turned out to be obsolete the day it came out, behind the stream-from-source architecture Sonos had 5 years earlier, and Apple's done nothing with Beats. Calling Apple an innovator for finally upgrading their offerings to what Sonos pioneered 12 years ago is quite rich.

Reminds of an old computer ad from the 80's. IBM claimed their belated entry into the mini-computer world would finally "Legitimize the market".

Data General, a pioneer in mini-computers along with DEC and others replied "The Bastards say 'Welcome.'"

And by the way, IBM's original mini-computer offering was a failure.
My only interest in the devices is to see if they have truly made any breakthroughs in sound quality; something that has largely stagnated across all makes for years now. Particularly to see if the Apple versions of Trueplay and stereo pairing are more effective than what Sonos does.

Long wait, I notice.
Well it is understandable from a buyers perspective that we do not have visibility into the corporate commercial agreements that SONOS has made with streaming music providers as well as the internal strategic roadmap that their product lines will follow competitively.

However that being said, lets imagine a world in the future where the Apple HomePod is released / marketed and a strong competitor like Bose, adapts to Airplay2. Now we have a market that is scary to SONOS and may cause a move albeit late.
Toady the fact that SONOS has the best speaker and home solution today, will not matter in the future business market. I mean really, who here bought their SONOS speakers because of copious marketing or interoperability with the ecosystems?

I'll personally bet less than 5% of you. But as we are in the future now, and the Apple and Google machines will:
* Market the HomeKit/Alexa with their home speakers as the ears and voice of the HUB (AppleTV / Google TV)
* Apple will not make speakers other than the HUB extenations, nor will google
* Bose and others will market themselves as the HomeKit / Alexa extension to the market who wants to actually hear what they see (a much broader market than niche).

So the last question ends up much like the first - "will be is there a business case for SONOS to become a hardware supplier to the ecosystems?"
If not, SONOS will become a smaller truly niche product; much like it is today.
If so SONOS may have to lower quality to compete in a mainstream market.

So don't tell SONOS things like wake up... They know where they are, their competitive space and their quality.
But SONOS, please note, that in the past there were no speakers from Apple or Google.
Their new ecosystems will use their devices as the ears and mouth for their new space and your competition will move in to bridge the market place. Think hard and long about the competitive landscape in 2 to 3 years.
You do not want to risk the acceptance of the first adopters in the market curve that AirPlay2 and that pod will make. Not to mention its long term repercussions.
Userlevel 3
Badge
So don't tell SONOS things like wake up... They know where they are, their competitive space and their quality.
But SONOS, please note, that in the past there were no speakers from Apple or Google.
Their new ecosystems will use their devices as the ears and mouth for their new space and your competition will move in to bridge the market place. Think hard and long about the competitive landscape in 2 to 3 years.
You do not want to risk the acceptance of the first adopters in the market curve that AirPlay2 and that pod will make. Not to mention its long term repercussions.

This. How many people are still using the Lotus counting system or Word Perfect? Anyone still have an MP Man?
Userlevel 3
Badge
No one in their right mind will buy multiple HomePods to outfit every room in their house like they buy Sonos.

Much like the rest of the industry, you don't seem to understand Apple or its customer base. Apple's eco system is practically bullet proof...
No one in their right mind will buy multiple HomePods to outfit every room in their house like they buy Sonos.

Much like the rest of the industry, you don't seem to understand Apple or its customer base. Apple's eco system is practically bullet proof...

They said the same about Airplay 1, and yet here we are with Airplay 2, and Apple is still playing catch up.

They said the same about Apple networking products, yet now Apple is getting out of the router business.
Userlevel 3
Badge

They said the same about Airplay 1, and yet here we are with Airplay 2, and Apple still playing catchup.

Apples strength is Software + Hardware.

Apples strength is Software + Hardware.

Apple's strength is marketing. If their strength was software and hardware, their router business wouldn't be dying on the vine.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Well, Apple does catch up all the time, but they are good at it. That means they're better now with their kind of reverse engineering than pure innovation. Anyway sonos is even worse.

Most tech innovations come from startups, which apples sometimes acquire to develop or kill.
Well, Apple does catch up all the time, but they are good at it. That means they're better now with their kind of reverse engineering than pure innovation. Anyway sonos is even worse.

Most tech innovations come from startups, which apples sometimes acquire to develop or kill.

So their strength is hardware and software, but they play catch up all the time and use reverse engineering instead of pure innovation? Seems to be a glaring conflict in those two statements.

Also, if that is so, they had 5 years to "catch up" and "reverse engineer" Sonos, yet they came out with the unreliable and obsolete-the-day-it-was-released failure that was Airplay 1. Funny enough, Apple fans were here in droves preaching the imminent death of Sonos at the hands of Apple on that day, too.

I am Apple's customer base. I'm obsessed with Apple and fully integrated into everything they do, hence my hesitation to adopt Sonos until I see how they decide to play with Apple. I still don't see the point in having a HomePod in every room, much less 2.
Userlevel 2
Badge

So their strength is hardware and software, but they play catch up all the time and use reverse engineering instead of pure innovation? Seems to be a glaring conflict in those two statements.

Also, if that is so, they had 5 years to "catch up" and "reverse engineer" Sonos, yet they came out with the unreliable and obsolete-the-day-it-was-released failure that was Airplay 1. Funny enough, Apple fans were here in droves preaching the imminent death of Sonos at the hands of Apple on that day, too.

There is no conflict there.

On a side note sonos released their multiroom system in 2005, airplay 1 was not a competitor at all, its 2017 and airplay 2 was announced. 12 years to catch-up. Is airplay 2 innovation? No. Was airplay an innovation, it was. Still during these 12 years sonos could do a lot more to stay ahead. They're loosing ground.
Sigh.
IMO, Airplay was just a neat marketing trick to sell audio connectivity as a extra feature of a WiFi extender/network interface device for things like printers and servers. The combined optical analog output socket was perhaps an innovation at the time. But the audio side of things suffered from the hub/spoke architecture that was good enough for the primary function.

If Airplay 2 still uses hub/spoke, why will it be as good as Sonosnet for audio, particularly for grouped speakers playing the same music? Perhaps it is, but there isn't much of case for it till that is seen to be the case.
I would agree that Apple is excellent at marketing and that Apple's successes are often due to tight integration of hardware and software. I think their faults lie in the areas where they rely on marketing over a solid innovative product and when they refuse to work with other companies that have strengths they can't match.

I have no doubt that Apple will have success in this market. There are too many consumers out there who will buy it just because. They may even be the revenue leader since each unit costs 2 to 7 times their competitors (Amazon and Google). They may put a dent in Sonos business, but I tend to think the market's going to get bigger this year, and there's room for everyone.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi everyone, a lot of great activity in here, glad to see you're all interested.

We’re encouraged by the dramatic improvements Apple has made to Airplay with Airplay 2, and we’re actively working with them to see how these improvements might deliver a great experience for Sonos owners. We don’t have specific details to share today, but we’re constantly pushing to bring new features and options to Sonos all the time.

When there's any news or plans available in the future we'll be sure to let you all know.

Thank you. Although it may or may not be dramatic.. I'm hopeful Sonos will implement the support in order to meet a need that will alleviate the need.

Well said. Many are trying to pick a fight between Sonos/Apple (and those that use Apple products), when adding support for AirPlay 2 does nothing but strengthen Sonos through adding functionality to those who would use it sometimes. This is another great use case.

And since Apple doesn't seem to like Sonos these days, you have to wonder if Apple would allow Sonos to use AirPlay 2. I don't know if that the case, but I wouldn't assume, if the integration doesn't happen, that Sonos is the side preventing integration.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Well said. Many are trying to pick a fight between Sonos/Apple (and those that use Apple products), when adding support for AirPlay 2 does nothing but strengthen Sonos through adding functionality to those who would use it sometimes. This is another great use case.

And since Apple doesn't seem to like Sonos these days, you have to wonder if Apple would allow Sonos to use AirPlay 2. I don't know if that the case, but I wouldn't assume, if the integration doesn't happen, that Sonos is the side preventing integration.

meh. We could assume that gossip all day long (like many in this thread are trying to do).
I'm not basing my assumption on gossip, but on Apple going on stage, throwing up a picture of Sonos Play:3 and essentially saying "our product is better then their's". It doesn't invoke thoughts of "I bet these two companies are going add integration soon". But I don't know, it's just an assumption.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I'm not basing my assumption on gossip, but on Apple going on stage, throwing up a picture of Sonos Play:3 and essentially saying "our product is better then their's". It doesn't invoke thoughts of "I bet these two companies are going add integration soon". But I don't know, it's just an assumption.

They also have made a lifetime of jabs at Microsoft, yet they have products and services that work with them. Just because they want to compete, doesn't mean they don't like Sonos or their staff. Likely wouldn't stop them from taking a big check for licensing, if that's what takes place to get it implemented.
Userlevel 2
Badge
It would be funny to see that airplay2 infringed sonos propietary rights. And then Apple pulled sonos app from Apple store as a negotition move.:8
I love that this question was answered in the way that it was. Makes me excited for possible home-kit integrated Sonos speakers....
I hope Sonos becomes more responsive to customers. I had already been holding off on future purchases since I had to kluge together support for AirPlay using a Connect and Denon receiver. My other biggest issue was wanting voice control for times I have my hands full or am in the shower etc. With the HomePod announcement, Apple has solutions to both these issues. I'm strongly considering switching. Apple put a shot across Sonos's bow and called Sonos out by name.

I found it interesting they called them out as not being a smart speaker, but I think Sonos has made great strides in introducing lots of cool software updates. I doubt the HomePod will be able to touch the quality of having a Playbar, two Plays, and a sub.. The microphone inclusion might be nice but my phone & watch already do that. Time will tell.

I just hope they decide to implement AirPlay 2 support. My next option would be to setup an "AirPlay server", with an AirPort Express key and modified Sonos firmware for a hacked solution to AirPlay streaming. I don't think that will work for the HomeKit integration though.

Plex media server + sonos.
Easy.
I like using Apple products and it would be nice to control my sonos speakers from the control panel and with HomeKit instead of having to use the sonos app all the time. Airplay 2 support would allow this. Sonos is already on the pricey end so anyone buying it would consider the HomePod, especually is Apple ever comes out with a sound bar. Consider Siri and airplay 2 support before Apple steals your customers with its HomePod.