Answered

AirPlay 2 request

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

+1 for Apple AirPlay 2 support. Please get on it pronto Sonos!
Airplay 2 Please!!! Holding off all my Sonos purchases. No airplay? moving to apple's homepod or Bose and selling my Sonos PLAY:5 on eBay
Userlevel 2
Badge
Will definitely be on the lookout for a bargain like used sonos 5 🆒
Will definitely be on the lookout for a bargain like used sonos 5 🆒

If Sonos fails on this, I'm sure you'll be able to find another Play:5 and have a pair!
Userlevel 2
Badge
That would be great! I own 2 play 1, one 5, sub and playbar and another 5 would take it even better. Couldn't care less about that apple wifi thing.

First world problems: 1) I need to use my hands to play music 2) have to click few times more 3) my virtual ecosystem isn't flawless.

Get real and talk to people from Aleppo, Donbas, Venezuela or North Korea.:@
Userlevel 3
Badge
That would be great! I own 2 play 1, one 5, sub and playbar and another 5 would take it even better. Couldn't care less about that apple wifi thing.

First world problems: 1) I need to use my hands to play music 2) have to click few times more 3) my virtual ecosystem isn't flawless.

Get real and talk to people from Aleppo, Donbas, Venezuela or North Korea.:@

Don't turn this into a politic al discussion. What harm is it to you if a sizable portion of this community is interested in this feature? Everyone gets aded functionality without YOU having to sacrifice anything.
Userlevel 2
Badge
My point is that predicting sonos demise over AirPlay nonsense is way off. There are people in many countries who would like to get sonos regardless of AirPlay. Furthermore, I see that our respective community members are getting very emotional about "things". That's not healthy.

I would really love new features and sonos should take every opportunity to make their products better when enemy is at the gates (competition like homepod and any other speaker that will support airplay). But hey, sonos has limited resources. why AirPlay should be more important than Alexa integration when multiroom support is already there?

I am wondering why people bought sonos taken there was no direct airplay support from the begging? Is it hope or other features that make sonos speakers exceptional?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Well the apple stores were selling sonos directly, so some shop customers assumed they supported airplay.
Apple stores seem to have dropped selling sonos now...
Userlevel 1
See this https://www.forbes.com/sites/aarontilley/2017/06/07/apple-homekit-wwdc-2017-update/#5297407e1283

This might make it easier or possible to add HomeKit to existing Sonos products. No guarantee of course.
What about Bose (and their whole home audio that supports airplay 2)?

Bose dropped Airplay 1. Are they now supporting Airplay 2? Did they not learn from the first fiasco that caused them to relaunch their entire line?
Userlevel 1
What about Bose (and their whole home audio that supports airplay 2)?

Bose dropped Airplay 1. Are they now supporting Airplay 2? Did they not learn from the first fiasco that caused them to relaunch their entire line?

As per the picture in this article https://9to5mac.com/2017/06/05/apple-announces-airplay-2-w-multi-room-support-new-social-features-in-music-more/ you can see Bose are listed as a partner who will be supporting AirPlay 2. It is not clear yet but in some cases it might be possible to issue a simple firmware update to upgrade from AirPlay 1 to AirPlay 2.
It would be interesting to find some "meat" about the differences between Airplay 1 and Airplay 2. How much difference is there?
Add me to the list of people who will be putting their Sonos gear up for sale if Sonos doesn't support Airplay 2 by the time the Homepod comes out.

It is mostly a convenience thing, most (all?) of my friends use Apple products and I am tired of having to explain how to use the weird cludge to make Airplay work. Also, most of the things I listen to aren't in the Sonos supported services.

The biggest reason to not replace my Sonos gear would be the soundbar and wireless amp. Unfortunately for Sonos most of the companies on the Airplay 2 slide offer similar products.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Correct me if I'm wrong: you are willing to sell sonos because your friends are not clever enough? That's ok.
Correct me if I'm wrong: you are willing to sell sonos because your friends are not clever enough? That's ok.

No, I am willing to sell my Sonos gear in order to make my friends's, my wife's, and my life easier by not requiring the use of either the clunky Sonos app or the weird cludge for making AirPlay work.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Hard life.
Userlevel 2
I am not exactly sure how airplay would make my own experience bettter (got playbar 2 sonos 1 and one 5 and a sub and also use them with line in cd player). I use playbar and appleTV and can mirror my iphone/ipad. I doubt that introducing airplay would make any bigger diference. I do not use apple music (tidal is the way for me). in my country apple homepod will not be anyway supported since siri does not speak my language (as is the case with amazon echo and google home). I also doubt that when thinking hi-fi homepod (being a universal unit) can outbeat my setup. multiroom is what sonos does quite well (despite few drawbacks). Also apple stuff is gettting more and more expensive (so I am thinking about switching to android). So once again, what do I lose without airplay?

So it's obvious you don't care about this functionality. Are you only participating in this thread to be dismissive towards others? Should everyone buy all the products you have just to kluge together a solution to this? Do you think everyone has your needs? It's also funny that you talk about how expensive Apple products are. Sonos is more expensive than Apple, when you compare the fact that I needed a Sonos Connect and an AVR to add AirPlay functionality to my Play3 and Play 1s. HomePod is only $50 more than Play3, but better quality audio (according to bloggers previews thus far), 360 degree speakers, and Siri/HomeKit/AirPlay 2 integration.

Like others, I'd like to listen to podcasts without the current AirPlay kluge (using AirPlay to my Denon AVR which is hooked to Sonos Connect). I don't want to use the default Podcasts app. I use Castro. AirPlay 2 would be a great addition, and would be a solution for me with this issue. I'd also like HomeKit integration. I've held off on buying into Amazon/Alexa while I waited for Apple to release something, and now they have. Sonos probably won't die quickly if they don't implement this, but the vast majority of people I know with Sonos are also Apple owners. So when they see that Apple offers a solution, I imagine many, like me, will be looking closely at it instead.
Sonos probably won't die quickly if they don't implement this, but the vast majority of people I know with Sonos are also Apple owners. So when they see that Apple offers a solution, I imagine many, like me, will be looking closely at it instead.
Yes, but that is an example of poor population sampling. I use Apple as well, but I don't care for Airplay because it is a kludge in the first place with its hub/spoke architecture that leaves it a lot less reliable/robust than Sonos when Sonosnet is invoked as it needs to be for best wireless performance. And there are many here that like Sonos and dislike Apple.
As far as I am concerned even if Airplay 2 has reached those levels of reliability that Sonos did long ago, I see no reason to use a reinvented wheel at my home.
If this is successful, I expect it to expand the market and not take much share from Sonos as long as Sonos doesn't make a hash of the Alexa integration; not a feature I need, but voice control is a new market segment.
We must move in different circles. I must know at least 20 people with Sonos systems. Some are Apple users. None of them gives a **** about Airplay. They bought Sonos to play music from their computers (including iTunes libraries), from their phones (some of them iPhones), from music services (e.g. Apple Music). Sonos does all they want. Reading this thread you would think Sonos was ignoring Apple users. That is not so.
I would love to see built-in Airplay support. 99% of iPhone users know how to use the Apple Music App and want to use it and many do not want to use a new app (like Sonos). I get beat up by my familiy every week why I installed that stupid Sonos system... As soon as you have more than one Sonos speaker/zone, using an Airport Express attached to your Sonos system creates a complicated user experience as you have to switch between apps to select the speaker you want to play on. Airplay support (creating one Airplay device per Sonos speaker/zone) would provide best in class integration and seamless user experience on all Apple devices!
Badge
I would love to see built-in Airplay support. 99% of iPhone users know how to use the Apple Music App and want to use it and many do not want to use a new app (like Sonos). I get beat up by my familiy every week why I installed that stupid Sonos system... As soon as you have more than one Sonos speaker/zone, using an Airport Express attached to your Sonos system creates a complicated user experience as you have to switch between apps to select the speaker you want to play on. Airplay support (creating one Airplay device per Sonos speaker/zone) would provide best in class integration and seamless user experience on all Apple devices!

Thats exactly my opinion.
Today i gave back my play3 and discontinued my testing with the playbase and return it to my retailer.

I still have 3 play1, 2 play 5 (1 is dying now I think) and a connect AMP. These I will hold until december and then they will go on sale.

Sorry sonos - the reviews confirm that the homepod outperforms a play 3 and that is amazing.

In my opinion for tech fans sonos is out of order - qualitywise and for smart technology of course.
They waited to long and now its over - this will be a slow desth but a 100% one.

Sorry I was a really big fan of sonos so far 😞
Yet another Sonos "owner" coming here touting Airplay on their very first post. Pardon me if I show a little skepticism. :8
Badge
Shall I take a picture of my remaining 3 play1 and 2 play5 and AMP 😉
FWIW sonos account says they are looking in to it https://i.redd.it/uchnj5kquu2z.jpg

(not my screen grab)
Badge
Hopefully - then i will keep my existig stuff - but the brain and next devices will be homepods who control sonos via airplay (hopefully)

But no sonos device will be bought - and this will not only be my idea.