Answered

AirPlay 2 request

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

Userlevel 1
It would seem to me that the easiest integration may be one which hasn't been discussed in this thread yet. A new Bridge which is AirPlay2 compatible. With internal computing power becoming less expensive, Sonos could design an effective AirPlay server so as to pass music streaming to each speaker using it's current streaming protocol. This would allow for users to replace a single piece of their Sonos network and implement AirPlay at each speaker. (it at least seems possible in theory, considering AirPlay server hacks are already available).
Badge
I'm AMAZED Apple is selling Sonos in their own stores...

apple great at throwing others under the bus
Please integrate ios11. Smart home = smart sound.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
It would seem to me that the easiest integration may be one which hasn't been discussed in this thread yet. A new Bridge which is AirPlay2 compatible. With internal computing power becoming less expensive, Sonos could design an effective AirPlay server so as to pass music streaming to each speaker using it's current streaming protocol. This would allow for users to replace a single piece of their Sonos network and implement AirPlay at each speaker. (it at least seems possible in theory, considering AirPlay server hacks are already available).

This, although not as ideal for the consumer because it's something else I have to buy/power on/store/maintain, might work out better for Sonos because of possible lesser licensing fees if it's done per device and the people that want it can buy it.
Or just wait until Apple brings out a competitive product and watch customers like me replace Sonos with something that better integrates with my ecosystem.

Looks like that might happen with the announcement of the HomePod. I'm dubious it's as good as the advanced Sonos speaker setups, but it looks to be better than the Play 1 - Play 5 AND will support AirPlay 2.

The early reports are that it beats the Play 3 in sound quality. I own four Play 1's, and the minute the HomePod hits the market they're all going up for sale.
As an iPhone user, the AirPlay 2 multiroom features built into the OS are pretty attractive. Anything that makes it easier to manage what's playing on my Sonos system and where is welcome.

Don't see myself switch to the homepod though, they have no playbar or connect alternative, and they don't support a fraction of the services my Sonos system supports.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Or just wait until Apple brings out a competitive product and watch customers like me replace Sonos with something that better integrates with my ecosystem.

Looks like that might happen with the announcement of the HomePod. I'm dubious it's as good as the advanced Sonos speaker setups, but it looks to be better than the Play 1 - Play 5 AND will support AirPlay 2.

The early reports are that it beats the Play 3 in sound quality. I own four Play 1's, and the minute the HomePod hits the market they're all going up for sale.

But nothing about tie-in for surround sound which is where my Sonos will remain. No HomePods for me for the time being. I'll let others spend their money and review first.
Just adding my tuppence worth. I filled my house with play:1s because I wanted a cheap multi room system with decent sound quality. I use spotify exclusively as my music source. This all works almost 100% perfectly. But I really wish Sonos would implement airplay (and now that airplay 2 has been announced, airplay 2).

I listen to podcasts on my iphone using an app (downcast) to download the podcasts so I have them locally on the device. I just want to play those podcasts, from my phone, on my decent speakers. That's all. I don't want to have to buy an airport express and a play:5 or a connect (costing many hundreds of pounds). I don't want to hack together a raspberry pi or other pc as a work around.

But you can do this:

How to listen to Podcasts on Sonos

Have a favorite podcast you want to listen to on Sonos? Browse and play podcasts on-demand using Radio by TuneIn. You can also download podcasts to your computer or mobile device, or use another available streaming service on Sonos to stream your favorites.

Streaming podcasts from the Internet

Radio by TuneIn comes preconfigured on your Sonos system with a large catalog of podcasts to choose from. Use the search bar, making sure to search under “Podcasts & Shows” to find your favorite podcasts and shows, or browse what’s available by selecting Radio by TuneIn > Talk.

Depending on your geographical location, there are other music services you can add to Sonos that allow you to stream podcasts as well. Stitcher and Spreaker are two services that are available globally that have a vast podcast catalog. Find out what other streaming music services are available on our website.

Streaming podcasts from your computer

Sonos can play podcasts that have been downloaded to your computer and saved on the hard drive. Just make sure to share the folder where the podcasts reside with Sonos. Each time you download a new podcast, you must re-index your music share for the Sonos system to see it.

Podcast will show up under Music Library > Artist in the Sonos app if the metadata is supplied (not all podcasts do this). They may also be listed under the Music Library > Genre > Podcasts.

Streaming podcasts from your phone or tablet

Android:
For podcasts to show up in the Sonos app under "On this Mobile Device," they must reside in the “Podcasts” folder on your Android controller. The podcasts folder should be in the root directory of your Android device. If you have podcasts located in your Music folder, the podcasts will be listed under Music - not Podcasts.

iPhone / iPad:
Use the preinstalled “Podcasts” app to download your favorite podcasts to your iOS device and watch them appear instantly under Sonos music menu > This iPhone / iPad. Podcasts downloaded with any other 3rd party app will not appear under “This iPhone / iPad.”
The early reports are that it beats the Play 3 in sound quality. I own four Play 1's, and the minute the HomePod hits the market they're all going up for sale. Well it sounded like it was an Apple staged demo, with Apple choosing the demo music and controlling volumes. And the Play:3 is Sonos' oldest and least impressive speaker. So having never done your own comparison you are ready to dump Sonos? How odd. Sonos don't have a monopoly on good sound so I'll be interested to hear which sounds better. By actually listening to it.
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Userlevel 1
Badge +2
Haven't most of us dumped the Bridge in favor of direct WiFi? I do agree though that if that was all it takes to implement AP2, I would happily reintroduce the Bridge.
Haven't most of us dumped the Bridge in favor of direct WiFi? I do agree though that if that was all it takes to implement AP2, I would happily reintroduce the Bridge.I will have to get my jaw off the floor on this one. The only people who have dropped the Bridge in favour of wifi are those who know and understand nothing about Sonos' mesh networking capability. And the Bridge (and its replacement the Boost) are purely networking devices that do no audio processing and so the suggestion that it might be a route into Airplay integration is ridiculous. I am getting out of this thread now before I lose my sanity.
Badge
SONOS PLEASE WAKE UP!
You need to implement AirPlay2 as you did with Spotify Connect. Its the only thing that makes sence - and if you dont, you will be killing your business and leave us all in the dark.
We can have both, the sonos app as we know it AND AirPlay 2 at the same time. + Spotify Connect and everyone is happy.
I LOVE MY SONOS, so please JUST DO THIS! ❤️❤️❤️
Has anybody loaded hacked firmware onto Sonos speakers? Worst case, maybe we could hack our speakers into Airplay 2 machines? I do hope Sonos chooses to support as many standards as makes sense, and I think Airplay 2 makes sense now that no extra hardware is required.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
+1 for AirPlay 2 support. I often use the Airport Express plugged in to a Connect Amp hack currently.

For me, the biggest reason to support AirPlay is that I don't like using the Sonos app to browse and play my music. I want to be able to use the Apple Music app. The app I use when I'm not in the house. It's the app I prefer for it's rich UI and full feature set (soon to increase again with iOS 11).

Convenience of sending tunes to wireless speakers from the Apple Music app or Control Center is a big factor in comparing Sonos to alternatives.

Granted, we don't know all of the technical details about AirPlay 2 yet - I hope music can be streamed from the cloud directly to AirPlay 2 devices (like Sonos does) rather than having to go via an iOS device / Mac.

I'd also like to be able to use my Sonos system in conjunction with my other HomeKit accessories. For example, starting a radio station if motion is detected between 7 and 9am on a week day.

Sonos, give us Apple users the tight integration that we'd like. Be the inclusive ecosystem you claim to be.
Userlevel 1
I fully agree. Even if we get the start that Spotify has allowed with Sonos, for Apple Music, we will be on the right track.
Userlevel 3
Badge
The early reports are that it beats the Play 3 in sound quality. I own four Play 1's, and the minute the HomePod hits the market they're all going up for sale. Well it sounded like it was an Apple staged demo, with Apple choosing the demo music and controlling volumes. And the Play:3 is Sonos' oldest and least impressive speaker. So having never done your own comparison you are ready to dump Sonos? How odd. Sonos don't have a monopoly on good sound so I'll be interested to hear which sounds better. By actually listening to it.

it's all about the ecosystem.
I was here when Airplay 1 came out. Apple fans made the exact same predictions of Sonos' looming death, threats to sell Sonos gear, claims of Apple superiority, etc. back then. Today, the "inferior" Sonos has thrived sans Airplay, whereas Airplay is dead, and Airplay 2 is now trying to copy Sonos after all these years.

Sonos will be fine
Userlevel 2
Badge
Some guys (or should I say Sonos fans 😉 posting here have issues.. always trying to stage the posts in this thread as a fight between Sonos and Apple fanboys. That's stupid. It has nothing to do with whether Sonos networking is better than airplay 1/2 or not or whatever. It has something to do with changing needs/desires of many customers. Today, I (many) want to be able to integrate speakers into home automation scenes (apple ecosystem). If Sonos doesn't want to do this for some obscure secret reason or is unable to implement this, and if others will offer that and deliver comparable performance in other areas that are important to me, then my Sonos is for sale, that simple. Also, a majority of new customers will most likely choose a system with proper integration.

OK Sonos, when do you release your HomeKit compatible bridge? Even Philips managed to make the Hue bridge HomeKit compatible 😛
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Haven't most of us dumped the Bridge in favor of direct WiFi? I do agree though that if that was all it takes to implement AP2, I would happily reintroduce the Bridge.I will have to get my jaw off the floor on this one. The only people who have dropped the Bridge in favour of wifi are those who know and understand nothing about Sonos' mesh networking capability. And the Bridge (and its replacement the Boost) are purely networking devices that do no audio processing and so the suggestion that it might be a route into Airplay integration is ridiculous. I am getting out of this thread now before I lose my sanity.

I opted for the BOOST for the very reason of utilizing the SONOSNET. Putting an 802.11ac NIC in it for airplay & other streaming technologies input wouldn't take away the ability to play higher quality streams traditionally (the SONOS way). Think having eco & sport mode on vehicles.. just because you use one doesn't mean the other functionality is gone. Use sport mode when you want to or use eco mode when you want that functionality.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Has anybody loaded hacked firmware onto Sonos speakers? Worst case, maybe we could hack our speakers into Airplay 2 machines? I do hope Sonos chooses to support as many standards as makes sense, and I think Airplay 2 makes sense now that no extra hardware is required.

I have not but I'm considering setting up a janky way to airplay stream using this method:
https://medium.com/@stephencwan/hacking-airplay-into-sonos-93a41a1fcfbb

It'd be cool to gain root on the sonos and implement airplay myself.. but that's way above my current skill level.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I was here when Airplay 1 came out. Apple fans made the exact same predictions of Sonos' looming death, threats to sell Sonos gear, claims of Apple superiority, etc. back then. Today, the "inferior" Sonos has thrived sans Airplay, whereas Airplay is dead, and Airplay 2 is now trying to copy Sonos after all these years.

Sonos will be fine

Not a fanboy of any one company.. just a fan of current hardware & software setups that I can afford. That being said my thread is not one to claim Sonos' deathbead, superiority of anyone's gear of choice. I simply wanted to voice my opinion on why I would like Sonos to re-consider not implementing AirPlay and to hopefully engage developing AirPlay 2 into their lineup. There has been no argument that has countered why having AirPlay 2 implemented would hurt the Sonos ecosystem except for the negatives I mentioned in an above post.

Negatives for including AirPlay 2:
-Licensing cost
-Non technical people might not opt to use SonosNet or steer from using the embedded streaming services unless they want discover that it allows them to stream even without having their media devices on the network. (for these people, they aren't audiophiles anyway)
-Developer hours"
Some guys (or should I say Sonos fans 😉 posting here have issues.. always trying to stage the posts in this thread as a fight between Sonos and Apple fanboys. That's stupid. It has nothing to do with whether Sonos networking is better than airplay 1/2 or not or whatever. It has something to do with changing needs/desires of many customers. Today, I (many) want to be able to integrate speakers into home automation scenes (apple ecosystem). If Sonos doesn't want to do this for some obscure secret reason or is unable to implement this, and if others will offer that and deliver comparable performance in other areas that are important to me, then my Sonos is for sale, that simple. Also, a majority of new customers will most likely choose a system with proper integration.

OK Sonos, when do you release your HomeKit compatible bridge? Even Philips managed to make the Hue bridge HomeKit compatible :b

This argument doesn't make much sense to me. I currently have 2 home automation hubs I use regularly (Smartthings and Lutron), and my Sonos is integrated with both of them . I do have my speakers integrated into the scenes so to speak. We also know that Sonos has an Open API. So if you can't integrate your speakers with Homekit, why are you blaming Sonos and not Apple?

You say that Phillips made their product compatable with homekit, are you sure it's not the other way around? I'm almost positive it is.

As for the Airplay, never used it, never cared to. I have no idea how much of a marketshare it holds. I can see the benefit of compatibility, but I don't know what it costs SONOS, how willing Apple is to integrate, nor whether it could be done with existing hardware (I doubt it). I wouldn't be surprised if Apple doesn't want to license Airplay 2 to Sonos since it's a competitor in some sense. Perhaps they don't like that Sonos went to Amazon for IA integration before them.

All that said, I would like to see SONOS come up with a device that's sort of a 'universal source'. Inputs only, RCA, headphone jack, Bluetooth, and airplay if it makes sense. But I would not go far as to say that I know better then the guys running SONOS regarding the direction they need to go.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
We also know that Sonos has an Open API. So if you can't integrate your speakers with Homekit, why are you blaming Sonos and not Apple?

The API is for the development by the manufacturers of automation equipment. For HomeKit integration, I'm pretty sure Sonos would have to develop the implementation on their end I believe (meeting Apple's standards and getting approval for the HomeKit compatible logo)

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple doesn't want to license Airplay 2 to Sonos since it's a competitor in some sense. Perhaps they don't like that Sonos went to Amazon for IA integration before them.

Nonsense. AirPlay is licensed to other high-end audio speaker manufacturers. Even ones that Apple has been in litigation with.
Userlevel 2
Only one brand I care about is missing this feature being supported and clearly it's very important for some of us... Now that I know they're supporting airplay 2, I'm just waiting on better than sonos' Spotify Connect support (not difficult - why can't I set volume and group with the "integration" of connect?!?!) Spotify Connect appearing on Bose Soundtouch devices personally (and I am heavily invested in sonos hardware).