Answered

AirPlay 2 request

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Gee, a thread predicting Sonos' doom for not supporting an Apple implementation that may accomplish what Sonos did flawlessly back in 2005? Now where have I heard that before?

My OP for this thread did nothing of the such. And if you read the thread you're bashing, you'll see where myself and others post how it's not so flawless.

I just want to raise my voice to a need that myself and others desire and for what purpose.
Userlevel 2
... to avoid having an AirPort Express in each room ...

Two points:

1. You do not need an AirPort Express in each room. You only need one AirPort Express, located near and plugged in to a CONNECT or a PLAY:5, per simultaneous AirPlay stream.

2. You only need an AirPort Express if you want to stream music from a service SONOS does not support.

So Netflix, HULU, Amazon Video, YouTube etc etc
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
My 2p's worth:

I have a Sonos 5.0 setup and 3 other zones. I was as frustrated as hell with Sonos at first, nothing to do with sound quality, but its connectivity, specifically Spotify, and the lack of DTS on Playbar and the propensity to drop sound when playing DD.

Working with support I'm of the opinion that it's Samsung firmware that causes problems and, to be honest, the DTS is not a major issue for me personally, as I tend to stream films and none, to my knowledge, are DTS. As for Bluray, I have a transcoding DVD player.

I mainly listen to music, so the 'new' integration with Spotify is just what much of the user base wanted and Sonos have delivered. I'm back to recommending Sonos and am more than happy with it.

I was quite vociferous on these forums a couple of years ago but I'm pleased I stuck with it.

Apple AirPlay is shockingly bad in my opinion, for music and for video. In fact, it stops me from going with Apple Music (and the clunkyness of its Sonos integration). If AirPlay 2 is any good (and it'll need to be) then I'm sure that Sonos will seriously consider it. I just hope that, if appropriate, it won't fight it as much as it did with Spotify Connectt before finally relenting.

Stick with it, it's worth it.
Just adding my tuppence worth. I filled my house with play:1s because I wanted a cheap multi room system with decent sound quality. I use spotify exclusively as my music source. This all works almost 100% perfectly. But I really wish Sonos would implement airplay (and now that airplay 2 has been announced, airplay 2).

I listen to podcasts on my iphone using an app (downcast) to download the podcasts so I have them locally on the device. I just want to play those podcasts, from my phone, on my decent speakers. That's all. I don't want to have to buy an airport express and a play:5 or a connect (costing many hundreds of pounds). I don't want to hack together a raspberry pi or other pc as a work around. I don't care that the sound quality over airplay might be slightly less than perfect. It's a podcast in a noisy kitchen. Every time I have to pause my podcast because the dishwasher, washing machine or kettle is on because I can't hear the iPhone's speakers, I get just a little bit annoyed with Sonos.

They have chosen not to implement Airplay for a reason, as is their right. I don't know what that reason is, so I don't understand it. And so it annoys me.

What I pick up when reading through threads like these is that there are many different use cases. I use my speakers as described above, others use them differently. Which is why I would always advocate introducing flexibility into the system. Sonos need to look at feedback and decide where they want to dedicate their limited resources. I understand that they can't implement every requested feature. Again, this is why flexibility is needed. Offering native Airplay support alongside native chromecast audio would mean that regardless of where the audio is, online/local, supported service or not, I can play what I want on my hundred of pounds worth of speaker system.
Airplay 2 Please!!! Holding off all my Sonos purchases. No airplay? moving to apple's homepod or Bose and selling my Sonos PLAY:5 on eBay
Add me to the list of people who will be putting their Sonos gear up for sale if Sonos doesn't support Airplay 2 by the time the Homepod comes out.

It is mostly a convenience thing, most (all?) of my friends use Apple products and I am tired of having to explain how to use the weird cludge to make Airplay work. Also, most of the things I listen to aren't in the Sonos supported services.

The biggest reason to not replace my Sonos gear would be the soundbar and wireless amp. Unfortunately for Sonos most of the companies on the Airplay 2 slide offer similar products.
+1 to AirPlay 2 support.
No one in their right mind will buy multiple HomePods to outfit every room in their house like they buy Sonos. And although the idea of a pair of HomePods in a room is nice for sound quality, how can you justify paying the price to have 2 "brains" in the room when you really only need one? That leaves people interested in the HomePod to buy AirPlay-enabled speakers if they want to go the wireless sound route.

I have been researching Sonos for months and was going to pull the trigger very soon but now I'm in a holding pattern to see how they address the HomePod/Airplay 2. I'm not interested in using Alexa or Google Home.

I'd like to see Sonos support Airplay 2 so that Sonos users can buy 1 HomePod to add to their Sonos home sound system.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
No one in their right mind will buy multiple HomePods to outfit every room in their house like they buy Sonos. And although the idea of a pair of HomePods in a room is nice for sound quality, how can you justify paying the price to have 2 "brains" in the room when you really only need one? That leaves people interested in the HomePod to buy AirPlay-enabled speakers if they want to go the wireless sound route.

I have been researching Sonos for months and was going to pull the trigger very soon but now I'm in a holding pattern to see how they address the HomePod/Airplay 2. I'm not interested in using Alexa or Google Home.

I'd like to see Sonos support Airplay 2 so that Sonos users can buy 1 HomePod to add to their Sonos home sound system.

Well said. Many are trying to pick a fight between Sonos/Apple (and those that use Apple products), when adding support for AirPlay 2 does nothing but strengthen Sonos through adding functionality to those who would use it sometimes. This is another great use case.

Perhaps you didn't read the designated answer in this thread, a post from a Sonos rep confirming that they are actively working with Apple concerning Airplay 2 support? :8

I did notice the 3 month old non-answer with no followup. Since then we have seen a Sonos app update solely to enable user data collection, which I find deplorable, and there have been announcements made about developments of other features (new hardware for Alexa integration), which I have no interest in and which suggests Sonos' focus and direction is not with my use cases.

I've had over a year of enjoyment of this setup, but it's time to move on before it becomes further obsolete.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Sonos' doom has been forecast on here for 10 years, because of its lack of Airplay. Sonos is already a multiroom, multisource, multicontroller system, with superior technology to Airplay. May Sonos never touch Airplay with a bargepole.

Not saying Sonos will fail for not supporting AirPlay.. I love my Sonos and it's audio quality. I desire the added capability for my needs.. And having it wouldn't impede on anyone streaming with SonosNet if that's what they prefer.
Userlevel 2
kind of, spotify app can set the volume of the group in spotify itself and has has a kind of "more" button for when you need to group speakers (which pops up the sonos app, like in that video, but from grouping the speakers you've got an epic trek to set it's volume, and that awful if it's volume was up high last time it was used and you're using it late at night).

Even using sonos's app, if you want to add a speaker to an already playing group but want to make sure you're not blasted by sound, you have to either:-

1) Add it and pray
2) pause the music then you will find it's volume slider will show when you touch the volume slider
3) switch to the group it's currently in, and set it's volume, switch back, and add it to the group.

They can make good hardware, but their apps are really not great from an experience point of view.

Simple changes like adding volume sliders to the grouping screen would make life so much easier.

Also on a tangent permanent groups that speakers are always a member of would be nice, eg "upstairs" or "getting ready for work" and "whole house" currently my alarm (bedroom only) removes the bedroom from the group and then I have to re-add it every morning, simple way of handling conflicts would be if a perm group starts playing something, all speakers in it return to it if they're not already in it.

Sound, once set up, is supposed to get out of the way and just be there, not require thinking about or babysitting.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Is Airplay 2 just rebranded Play-Fi? With all the existing Play-Fi members listed as partners I have to wonder if Apple really produced anything new as opposed to just co-opting existing technology.

Also what is the release date for this? I assume it will be available a lot sooner than the Homepod?

It will ship with iOS 11 which will be in the Fall I believe. Existing speakers will likely need a firmware update to support.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

What is yet to be seen with AirPlay 2/HomePod and multi-room support is the ability to stream multiple streams from Apple Music to different speaker groups. With Sonos, I can start Apple Music within the Sonos app and push two different songs/stations/playlists to multiple speakers or groups. I can then leave the house and it all keeps playing. Not sure that AirPlay 2 or the HomePod will implement this out the gate.

Visually, it appears AirPlay 2 will support pushing multiple streams to grouped and individual speakers simultaneously. I still am curious if the HomePod can play music without the iDevice having to "push" the music similarly to how Sonos Playbar runs Apple Music.

Gee, a thread predicting Sonos' doom for not supporting an Apple implementation that may accomplish what Sonos did flawlessly back in 2005? Now where have I heard that before?
The inclusion of AirPlay 2 support would also allow multi-room playing
I used Airplay via AEX back in 2011 when I was getting my feet wet in the world of wireless streaming. As an audiophile interested in regaining a sane life, it allowed me to realise that there is no sound quality compromise involved in music streaming, but I wasn't happy with music play up times. Too many drops and delayed starts in any place that was a little distance from the router. I therefore moved to Sonos for its reputation for much better up time and for its multi room capability and no regrets on either count in 2017 for having done so.

But I find little use for the multi room feature except when grouping speakers in a single large open space. With other users in the home now using streaming services that they could also independently access regardless of which system was chosen, I can't see how this is a Sonos USP any more. But the open question to my mind with Airplay 2 is system stability and whether that has improved beyond what it was in 2011 by virtue of all music working on a hub spoke basis with every Airplay enabled speaker having to get its signals only from the router and not from a speaker to speaker mesh of the kind Sonos offers. If nothing has changed on that front, there are still very good reasons I would not go back to Airplay even with its new labelling.

It would be better to point out posts and not the entire thread. People will always make posts like that in others' threads just as there are those that dismiss valid points in order to point out nonsensical posts which don't align to the OP.

You are correct. I should not have painted with that broad a brush. My apologies.
As an iPhone user, the AirPlay 2 multiroom features built into the OS are pretty attractive. Anything that makes it easier to manage what's playing on my Sonos system and where is welcome.

Don't see myself switch to the homepod though, they have no playbar or connect alternative, and they don't support a fraction of the services my Sonos system supports.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Or just wait until Apple brings out a competitive product and watch customers like me replace Sonos with something that better integrates with my ecosystem.

Looks like that might happen with the announcement of the HomePod. I'm dubious it's as good as the advanced Sonos speaker setups, but it looks to be better than the Play 1 - Play 5 AND will support AirPlay 2.

The early reports are that it beats the Play 3 in sound quality. I own four Play 1's, and the minute the HomePod hits the market they're all going up for sale.

But nothing about tie-in for surround sound which is where my Sonos will remain. No HomePods for me for the time being. I'll let others spend their money and review first.
Badge
SONOS PLEASE WAKE UP!
You need to implement AirPlay2 as you did with Spotify Connect. Its the only thing that makes sence - and if you dont, you will be killing your business and leave us all in the dark.
We can have both, the sonos app as we know it AND AirPlay 2 at the same time. + Spotify Connect and everyone is happy.
I LOVE MY SONOS, so please JUST DO THIS! ❤️❤️❤️
I was here when Airplay 1 came out. Apple fans made the exact same predictions of Sonos' looming death, threats to sell Sonos gear, claims of Apple superiority, etc. back then. Today, the "inferior" Sonos has thrived sans Airplay, whereas Airplay is dead, and Airplay 2 is now trying to copy Sonos after all these years.

Sonos will be fine
Userlevel 2
Badge
Some guys (or should I say Sonos fans 😉 posting here have issues.. always trying to stage the posts in this thread as a fight between Sonos and Apple fanboys. That's stupid. It has nothing to do with whether Sonos networking is better than airplay 1/2 or not or whatever. It has something to do with changing needs/desires of many customers. Today, I (many) want to be able to integrate speakers into home automation scenes (apple ecosystem). If Sonos doesn't want to do this for some obscure secret reason or is unable to implement this, and if others will offer that and deliver comparable performance in other areas that are important to me, then my Sonos is for sale, that simple. Also, a majority of new customers will most likely choose a system with proper integration.

OK Sonos, when do you release your HomeKit compatible bridge? Even Philips managed to make the Hue bridge HomeKit compatible 😛
+1 for Apple AirPlay 2 support. Please get on it pronto Sonos!
Userlevel 2
Badge
Will definitely be on the lookout for a bargain like used sonos 5 🆒
Userlevel 2
I am not exactly sure how airplay would make my own experience bettter (got playbar 2 sonos 1 and one 5 and a sub and also use them with line in cd player). I use playbar and appleTV and can mirror my iphone/ipad. I doubt that introducing airplay would make any bigger diference. I do not use apple music (tidal is the way for me). in my country apple homepod will not be anyway supported since siri does not speak my language (as is the case with amazon echo and google home). I also doubt that when thinking hi-fi homepod (being a universal unit) can outbeat my setup. multiroom is what sonos does quite well (despite few drawbacks). Also apple stuff is gettting more and more expensive (so I am thinking about switching to android). So once again, what do I lose without airplay?

Correct me if I'm wrong: you are willing to sell sonos because your friends are not clever enough? That's ok.

So it's obvious you don't care about this functionality. Are you only participating in this thread to be dismissive towards others? Should everyone buy all the products you have just to kluge together a solution to this? Do you think everyone has your needs? It's also funny that you talk about how expensive Apple products are. Sonos is more expensive than Apple, when you compare the fact that I needed a Sonos Connect and an AVR to add AirPlay functionality to my Play3 and Play 1s. HomePod is only $50 more than Play3, but better quality audio (according to bloggers previews thus far), 360 degree speakers, and Siri/HomeKit/AirPlay 2 integration.

Like others, I'd like to listen to podcasts without the current AirPlay kluge (using AirPlay to my Denon AVR which is hooked to Sonos Connect). I don't want to use the default Podcasts app. I use Castro. AirPlay 2 would be a great addition, and would be a solution for me with this issue. I'd also like HomeKit integration. I've held off on buying into Amazon/Alexa while I waited for Apple to release something, and now they have. Sonos probably won't die quickly if they don't implement this, but the vast majority of people I know with Sonos are also Apple owners. So when they see that Apple offers a solution, I imagine many, like me, will be looking closely at it instead.