Answered

AirPlay 2 request

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Well said. Many are trying to pick a fight between Sonos/Apple (and those that use Apple products), when adding support for AirPlay 2 does nothing but strengthen Sonos through adding functionality to those who would use it sometimes. This is another great use case.

And since Apple doesn't seem to like Sonos these days, you have to wonder if Apple would allow Sonos to use AirPlay 2. I don't know if that the case, but I wouldn't assume, if the integration doesn't happen, that Sonos is the side preventing integration.

meh. We could assume that gossip all day long (like many in this thread are trying to do).

Well said. Many are trying to pick a fight between Sonos/Apple (and those that use Apple products), when adding support for AirPlay 2 does nothing but strengthen Sonos through adding functionality to those who would use it sometimes. This is another great use case.

And since Apple doesn't seem to like Sonos these days, you have to wonder if Apple would allow Sonos to use AirPlay 2. I don't know if that the case, but I wouldn't assume, if the integration doesn't happen, that Sonos is the side preventing integration.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Hi everyone, a lot of great activity in here, glad to see you're all interested.

We’re encouraged by the dramatic improvements Apple has made to Airplay with Airplay 2, and we’re actively working with them to see how these improvements might deliver a great experience for Sonos owners. We don’t have specific details to share today, but we’re constantly pushing to bring new features and options to Sonos all the time.

When there's any news or plans available in the future we'll be sure to let you all know.

Thank you. Although it may or may not be dramatic.. I'm hopeful Sonos will implement the support in order to meet a need that will alleviate the need.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
No one in their right mind will buy multiple HomePods to outfit every room in their house like they buy Sonos. And although the idea of a pair of HomePods in a room is nice for sound quality, how can you justify paying the price to have 2 "brains" in the room when you really only need one? That leaves people interested in the HomePod to buy AirPlay-enabled speakers if they want to go the wireless sound route.

I have been researching Sonos for months and was going to pull the trigger very soon but now I'm in a holding pattern to see how they address the HomePod/Airplay 2. I'm not interested in using Alexa or Google Home.

I'd like to see Sonos support Airplay 2 so that Sonos users can buy 1 HomePod to add to their Sonos home sound system.

I would agree that Apple is excellent at marketing and that Apple's successes are often due to tight integration of hardware and software. I think their faults lie in the areas where they rely on marketing over a solid innovative product and when they refuse to work with other companies that have strengths they can't match.

I have no doubt that Apple will have success in this market. There are too many consumers out there who will buy it just because. They may even be the revenue leader since each unit costs 2 to 7 times their competitors (Amazon and Google). They may put a dent in Sonos business, but I tend to think the market's going to get bigger this year, and there's room for everyone.
IMO, Airplay was just a neat marketing trick to sell audio connectivity as a extra feature of a WiFi extender/network interface device for things like printers and servers. The combined optical analog output socket was perhaps an innovation at the time. But the audio side of things suffered from the hub/spoke architecture that was good enough for the primary function.

If Airplay 2 still uses hub/spoke, why will it be as good as Sonosnet for audio, particularly for grouped speakers playing the same music? Perhaps it is, but there isn't much of case for it till that is seen to be the case.
Sigh.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Well, Apple does catch up all the time, but they are good at it. That means they're better now with their kind of reverse engineering than pure innovation. Anyway sonos is even worse.

Most tech innovations come from startups, which apples sometimes acquire to develop or kill.

So their strength is hardware and software, but they play catch up all the time and use reverse engineering instead of pure innovation? Seems to be a glaring conflict in those two statements.

Also, if that is so, they had 5 years to "catch up" and "reverse engineer" Sonos, yet they came out with the unreliable and obsolete-the-day-it-was-released failure that was Airplay 1. Funny enough, Apple fans were here in droves preaching the imminent death of Sonos at the hands of Apple on that day, too.

There is no conflict there.

On a side note sonos released their multiroom system in 2005, airplay 1 was not a competitor at all, its 2017 and airplay 2 was announced. 12 years to catch-up. Is airplay 2 innovation? No. Was airplay an innovation, it was. Still during these 12 years sonos could do a lot more to stay ahead. They're loosing ground.
No one in their right mind will buy multiple HomePods to outfit every room in their house like they buy Sonos.

Much like the rest of the industry, you don't seem to understand Apple or its customer base. Apple's eco system is practically bullet proof...

I am Apple's customer base. I'm obsessed with Apple and fully integrated into everything they do, hence my hesitation to adopt Sonos until I see how they decide to play with Apple. I still don't see the point in having a HomePod in every room, much less 2.
Well, Apple does catch up all the time, but they are good at it. That means they're better now with their kind of reverse engineering than pure innovation. Anyway sonos is even worse.

Most tech innovations come from startups, which apples sometimes acquire to develop or kill.

So their strength is hardware and software, but they play catch up all the time and use reverse engineering instead of pure innovation? Seems to be a glaring conflict in those two statements.

Also, if that is so, they had 5 years to "catch up" and "reverse engineer" Sonos, yet they came out with the unreliable and obsolete-the-day-it-was-released failure that was Airplay 1. Funny enough, Apple fans were here in droves preaching the imminent death of Sonos at the hands of Apple on that day, too.

Apples strength is Software + Hardware.

Apple's strength is huge margins on less advanced products, and a large user base dumb enough to not understand this.
Userlevel 2
Badge

Apple's strength is marketing. If their strength was software and hardware, their router business wouldn't be dying on the vine.
Userlevel 3
Badge
No one in their right mind will buy multiple HomePods to outfit every room in their house like they buy Sonos.

Much like the rest of the industry, you don't seem to understand Apple or its customer base. Apple's eco system is practically bullet proof...

They said the same about Airplay 1, and yet here we are with Airplay 2, and Apple still playing catchup.

They said the same about Airplay 1, and yet here we are with Airplay 2, and Apple is still playing catch up.

They said the same about Apple networking products, yet now Apple is getting out of the router business.
Userlevel 3
Badge

Userlevel 3
Badge
So don't tell SONOS things like wake up... They know where they are, their competitive space and their quality.
But SONOS, please note, that in the past there were no speakers from Apple or Google.
Their new ecosystems will use their devices as the ears and mouth for their new space and your competition will move in to bridge the market place. Think hard and long about the competitive landscape in 2 to 3 years.
You do not want to risk the acceptance of the first adopters in the market curve that AirPlay2 and that pod will make. Not to mention its long term repercussions.

This. How many people are still using the Lotus counting system or Word Perfect? Anyone still have an MP Man?
Userlevel 1
Apple HomePod + Sonos with AirPlay 2 would rock, hopefully it's just a firmware upgrade

There's only two problems with Sonos

1) Apple Home Kit / Siri integration for us Apple fans (thanks for Apple Music support btw)

2) My wife won't let me buy any more Sonos speakers, I need 4 more Sonos Play 5 speakers 😃
No one in their right mind will buy multiple HomePods to outfit every room in their house like they buy Sonos. And although the idea of a pair of HomePods in a room is nice for sound quality, how can you justify paying the price to have 2 "brains" in the room when you really only need one? That leaves people interested in the HomePod to buy AirPlay-enabled speakers if they want to go the wireless sound route.

I have been researching Sonos for months and was going to pull the trigger very soon but now I'm in a holding pattern to see how they address the HomePod/Airplay 2. I'm not interested in using Alexa or Google Home.

I'd like to see Sonos support Airplay 2 so that Sonos users can buy 1 HomePod to add to their Sonos home sound system.
Well it is understandable from a buyers perspective that we do not have visibility into the corporate commercial agreements that SONOS has made with streaming music providers as well as the internal strategic roadmap that their product lines will follow competitively.

However that being said, lets imagine a world in the future where the Apple HomePod is released / marketed and a strong competitor like Bose, adapts to Airplay2. Now we have a market that is scary to SONOS and may cause a move albeit late.
Toady the fact that SONOS has the best speaker and home solution today, will not matter in the future business market. I mean really, who here bought their SONOS speakers because of copious marketing or interoperability with the ecosystems?

I'll personally bet less than 5% of you. But as we are in the future now, and the Apple and Google machines will:
* Market the HomeKit/Alexa with their home speakers as the ears and voice of the HUB (AppleTV / Google TV)
* Apple will not make speakers other than the HUB extenations, nor will google
* Bose and others will market themselves as the HomeKit / Alexa extension to the market who wants to actually hear what they see (a much broader market than niche).

So the last question ends up much like the first - "will be is there a business case for SONOS to become a hardware supplier to the ecosystems?"
If not, SONOS will become a smaller truly niche product; much like it is today.
If so SONOS may have to lower quality to compete in a mainstream market.

So don't tell SONOS things like wake up... They know where they are, their competitive space and their quality.
But SONOS, please note, that in the past there were no speakers from Apple or Google.
Their new ecosystems will use their devices as the ears and mouth for their new space and your competition will move in to bridge the market place. Think hard and long about the competitive landscape in 2 to 3 years.
You do not want to risk the acceptance of the first adopters in the market curve that AirPlay2 and that pod will make. Not to mention its long term repercussions.
My only interest in the devices is to see if they have truly made any breakthroughs in sound quality; something that has largely stagnated across all makes for years now. Particularly to see if the Apple versions of Trueplay and stereo pairing are more effective than what Sonos does.

Long wait, I notice.
Assuming Airplay 2 meets Sonos' expectations for appropriate quality for streaming, I'd be in favor of adding it as an option. Would reduce about 50% of the posts in these boards, I think 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
P.S. I made this thread a question and marked my post as an answer. That way it's right up there and easy to find if anyone goes looking for an "official reply". Please do keep up the discussion though.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Hi everyone, a lot of great activity in here, glad to see you're all interested.

We’re encouraged by the dramatic improvements Apple has made to Airplay with Airplay 2, and we’re actively working with them to see how these improvements might deliver a great experience for Sonos owners. We don’t have specific details to share today, but we’re constantly pushing to bring new features and options to Sonos all the time.

When there's any news or plans available in the future we'll be sure to let you all know.
+1 to AirPlay 2 support.