Answered

AirPlay 2 request

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

Gee, a thread predicting Sonos' doom for not supporting an Apple implementation that may accomplish what Sonos did flawlessly back in 2005? Now where have I heard that before?
Userlevel 3
Badge
Gee, a thread predicting Sonos' doom for not supporting an Apple implementation that may accomplish what Sonos did flawlessly back in 2005? Now where have I heard that before?

It's not about doom. But its common for companies to see sales stall or contract when a former partner decides to enter the market themselves. What happened to all the other players after Apple & MS entered the mp3 player market? Being the incumbent doesn't make you entitled.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

My OP for this thread did nothing of the such. And if you read the thread you're bashing, you'll see where myself and others post how it's not so flawless.

I just want to raise my voice to a need that myself and others desire and for what purpose.

My OP for this thread did nothing of the such. And if you read the thread you're bashing, you'll see where myself and others post how it's not so flawless.

I just want to raise my voice to a need that myself and others desire and for what purpose.

Unless I quoted your OP, you can assume I wasn't addessing it directly. I was specifically speaking to the poster who predicted loss of sales and a sell off by current Sonos owners due to its "dying ecosystem", followed by "SONOS WAKE UP!"
Userlevel 2
... to avoid having an AirPort Express in each room ...

Two points:

1. You do not need an AirPort Express in each room. You only need one AirPort Express, located near and plugged in to a CONNECT or a PLAY:5, per simultaneous AirPlay stream.

2. You only need an AirPort Express if you want to stream music from a service SONOS does not support.

So Netflix, HULU, Amazon Video, YouTube etc etc
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

Unless I quoted your OP, you can assume I wasn't addessing it directly. I was specifically speaking to the poster who predicted loss of sales and a sell off by current Sonos owners due to its "dying ecosystem", followed by "SONOS WAKE UP!"

It would be better to point out posts and not the entire thread. People will always make posts like that in others' threads just as there are those that dismiss valid points in order to point out nonsensical posts which don't align to the OP.
Sigh.... heard it all a thousand times. Sonos does all I need of it (including Netflix audio via Playbar). But I understand that other people have different needs. I don't know whether Sonos has the right business strategy. What amazes me are the number of people who have never run as much as a whelk stall who think they know the best strategy for a multi-billion dollar global tech company. I declare my ignorance.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
And it never fails that any time someone makes a feature request, they get dumped on by the fanboys that think their company of choice is perfect and can do no better.. until they introduce a feature on their own accord.

It would be interesting to see a feature request page that could have a voting system like what Sophos uses for their feature requests. It helps to know what they want to focus their developers on potentially.
The inclusion of AirPlay 2 support would also allow multi-room playing
I used Airplay via AEX back in 2011 when I was getting my feet wet in the world of wireless streaming. As an audiophile interested in regaining a sane life, it allowed me to realise that there is no sound quality compromise involved in music streaming, but I wasn't happy with music play up times. Too many drops and delayed starts in any place that was a little distance from the router. I therefore moved to Sonos for its reputation for much better up time and for its multi room capability and no regrets on either count in 2017 for having done so.

But I find little use for the multi room feature except when grouping speakers in a single large open space. With other users in the home now using streaming services that they could also independently access regardless of which system was chosen, I can't see how this is a Sonos USP any more. But the open question to my mind with Airplay 2 is system stability and whether that has improved beyond what it was in 2011 by virtue of all music working on a hub spoke basis with every Airplay enabled speaker having to get its signals only from the router and not from a speaker to speaker mesh of the kind Sonos offers. If nothing has changed on that front, there are still very good reasons I would not go back to Airplay even with its new labelling.

It would be better to point out posts and not the entire thread. People will always make posts like that in others' threads just as there are those that dismiss valid points in order to point out nonsensical posts which don't align to the OP.

You are correct. I should not have painted with that broad a brush. My apologies.
Apologies - as with @jgatie, my comment wasn't aimed at you, but threads take on a life of their own. It's the doom-mongers I take issue with. I respect their right to express their view but it's a public forum and I claim my right to challenge their views. I personally have also found Airplay to be unreliable. You have clearly not had any problems. I would rather Sonos had nothing to do with it because I think the "through the device" technology of the original Airplay is inconsistent with Sonos' technology and could be detrimental to the Sonos experience. Maybe Airplay 2 takes a different approach? Anyway, you are of course entitled to request any feature you wish.
And it never fails that any time someone makes a feature request, they get dumped on by the fanboys that think their company of choice is perfect and can do no better.. until they introduce a feature on their own accord.

It would be interesting to see a feature request page that could have a voting system like what Sophos uses for their feature requests. It helps to know what they want to focus their developers on potentially.

They've had voting in the past. It was useless because it was too easily gamed. Just the fact that one of the largest voting blocks was the 2% of the market that was Windows Phones users is proof of that.

That aside, I'm sure Sonos has the marketing data it needs to make the right decision. Afterall, they didnt support Airplay before, saving the millions of dollars Bose spent in support costs and redesign efforts from having to drop it from their line of streamers due to poor reliability and performance.

We will see if Airplay 2 improves on the negatives of Airplay 1, which was obsolete the day it was released.
And from memory: multi room was available on Airplay back in 2011 as well, but it was limited to "same music in all rooms" and, as I found, subject to many drops particularly in that kind of use.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
AirPlay has been extremely reliable on the hardware that has been released the last few years. What it hasn't done well in years past is streaming in sync as well as the fact that all AirPlay compatible hardware (that I'm aware of) reprocesses lossless audio files. I'm hopeful that AirPlay 2 addresses the syncing issue as they've figured it out with the AirPods quite well. Even if it isn't great for synced music, that's not what many people will use it for which is to push music from outside the Sonos environment to the Sonos speakers without needing extra gear. The speaker hardware is already sufficient.

Positives for including AirPlay 2:
-Added capability with no loss to existing capabilities.
-Works in more situations.. especially for all iDevice & Mac owners

Negatives for including AirPlay 2:
-Licensing cost
-Non technical people might not opt to use SonosNet or steer from using the embedded streaming services unless they want discover that it allows them to stream even without having their media devices on the network. (for these people, they aren't audiophiles anyway)
-Developer hours

Negatives to not including AirPlay 2:
-Potential loss of some customers who have been known to return or not purchase the equipment because it doesn't do what they thought it would do
-Loss of capability for a good amount of Mac/iOS customers
Userlevel 2
Badge
Gee, a thread predicting Sonos' doom for not supporting an Apple implementation that may accomplish what Sonos did flawlessly back in 2005? Now where have I heard that bevor?

You must be the big exception if your needs didn't change since 2005. My needs and wishes change with advances in technology that allow for new possibilities. I want state of the art intelligent home integration and I bet many others do.

As you stated, in 2005 Sonos had an exceptional offer and could therefore behave like they do with no harm but that is no longer the case! So yes, I stand with my words, they will struggle if they don't adapt quickly to changes in ecosystems and don't stick to what they promise in their vision statement!
Now that I have read a little about HomePod, a question:
Isn't one now left with a choice between Alexa powered Sonos on the one hand, and HomePod/Airplay 2 on the other? Why have a mish mash? Alexa or Siri, surely?
And on the HomePod subject, a quote:
"Put another HomePod in the same room, and the two automatically detect and balance each other — for sound that’s even more lifelike."
I also read about something like Trueplay. So it would seem that for sound quality Apple will do better than Amazon. It would be interesting to see how two HomePods stack up against a stereo pair of play 1 units. How does "detecting and balancing" stack up against good old stereo imaging?
Userlevel 2
Badge
What amazes me are the number of people who have never run as much as a whelk stall who think they know the best strategy for a multi-billion dollar global tech company. I declare my ignorance.

I know - and expressed (in my posting) common sense.
One fundamental problem with not supporting Airplay is the catch-up game that Sonos has to play with app developers. Each time a new app is invented that supports sound, Sonos has to specifically support it by including it in their app. For instance, the big hit with tweens is the Musicology app, not supported by Sonos. Its an uneven match that basically hurts Sonos' customers.

It seems common sense to me that implementing Airplay 2 would only increase the possible user base, while retaining the qualities of the Sonos ecosystem.
Userlevel 3
Badge
the big hit with tweens is the Musicology app, not supported by Sonos. Its an uneven match that basically hurts Sonos' customers.

To be fair, I don't believe 'tweens' even fall on Sonos's radar.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
My 2p's worth:

I have a Sonos 5.0 setup and 3 other zones. I was as frustrated as hell with Sonos at first, nothing to do with sound quality, but its connectivity, specifically Spotify, and the lack of DTS on Playbar and the propensity to drop sound when playing DD.

Working with support I'm of the opinion that it's Samsung firmware that causes problems and, to be honest, the DTS is not a major issue for me personally, as I tend to stream films and none, to my knowledge, are DTS. As for Bluray, I have a transcoding DVD player.

I mainly listen to music, so the 'new' integration with Spotify is just what much of the user base wanted and Sonos have delivered. I'm back to recommending Sonos and am more than happy with it.

I was quite vociferous on these forums a couple of years ago but I'm pleased I stuck with it.

Apple AirPlay is shockingly bad in my opinion, for music and for video. In fact, it stops me from going with Apple Music (and the clunkyness of its Sonos integration). If AirPlay 2 is any good (and it'll need to be) then I'm sure that Sonos will seriously consider it. I just hope that, if appropriate, it won't fight it as much as it did with Spotify Connectt before finally relenting.

Stick with it, it's worth it.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
the big hit with tweens is the Musicology app, not supported by Sonos. Its an uneven match that basically hurts Sonos' customers.

To be fair, I don't believe 'tweens' even fall on Sonos's radar.

There are music services Sonos has opted to spend time making deals with and implementing into their ecosystem that have a much smaller user base and impact on their company. The point I think tokeriis was trying to make is that instead of trying to play whack-a-mole, take out the whole garden with including the protocol which doesn't hinder anyone's current environment.. only adds capability and a better user experience for many.
Just adding my tuppence worth. I filled my house with play:1s because I wanted a cheap multi room system with decent sound quality. I use spotify exclusively as my music source. This all works almost 100% perfectly. But I really wish Sonos would implement airplay (and now that airplay 2 has been announced, airplay 2).

I listen to podcasts on my iphone using an app (downcast) to download the podcasts so I have them locally on the device. I just want to play those podcasts, from my phone, on my decent speakers. That's all. I don't want to have to buy an airport express and a play:5 or a connect (costing many hundreds of pounds). I don't want to hack together a raspberry pi or other pc as a work around. I don't care that the sound quality over airplay might be slightly less than perfect. It's a podcast in a noisy kitchen. Every time I have to pause my podcast because the dishwasher, washing machine or kettle is on because I can't hear the iPhone's speakers, I get just a little bit annoyed with Sonos.

They have chosen not to implement Airplay for a reason, as is their right. I don't know what that reason is, so I don't understand it. And so it annoys me.

What I pick up when reading through threads like these is that there are many different use cases. I use my speakers as described above, others use them differently. Which is why I would always advocate introducing flexibility into the system. Sonos need to look at feedback and decide where they want to dedicate their limited resources. I understand that they can't implement every requested feature. Again, this is why flexibility is needed. Offering native Airplay support alongside native chromecast audio would mean that regardless of where the audio is, online/local, supported service or not, I can play what I want on my hundred of pounds worth of speaker system.
I agree. AirPlay 2 support really needs to happen. I love the speakers I have, but as someone who listens to a lot of podcasts using Overcast on the iPhone, it is extremely frustrating to have to setup the speakers within the app so I can then Airplay to a speaker. Apple's announcements yesterday show that they are going to be challenging Sonos.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Just adding my tuppence worth. I filled my house with play:1s because I wanted a cheap multi room system with decent sound quality. I use spotify exclusively as my music source. This all works almost 100% perfectly. But I really wish Sonos would implement airplay (and now that airplay 2 has been announced, airplay 2).

I listen to podcasts on my iphone using an app (downcast) to download the podcasts so I have them locally on the device. I just want to play those podcasts, from my phone, on my decent speakers. That's all. I don't want to have to buy an airport express and a play:5 or a connect (costing many hundreds of pounds). I don't want to hack together a raspberry pi or other pc as a work around. I don't care that the sound quality over airplay might be slightly less than perfect. It's a podcast in a noisy kitchen. Every time I have to pause my podcast because the dishwasher, washing machine or kettle is on because I can't hear the iPhone's speakers, I get just a little bit annoyed with Sonos.

They have chosen not to implement Airplay for a reason, as is their right. I don't know what that reason is, so I don't understand it. And so it annoys me.

What I pick up when reading through threads like these is that there are many different use cases. I use my speakers as described above, others use them differently. Which is why I would always advocate introducing flexibility into the system. Sonos need to look at feedback and decide where they want to dedicate their limited resources. I understand that they can't implement every requested feature. Again, this is why flexibility is needed. Offering native Airplay support alongside native chromecast audio would mean that regardless of where the audio is, online/local, supported service or not, I can play what I want on my hundred of pounds worth of speaker system.

Yes!! Exactly
Userlevel 2
Badge
I am not exactly sure how airplay would make my own experience bettter (got playbar 2 sonos 1 and one 5 and a sub and also use them with line in cd player). I use playbar and appleTV and can mirror my iphone/ipad. I doubt that introducing airplay would make any bigger diference. I do not use apple music (tidal is the way for me). in my country apple homepod will not be anyway supported since siri does not speak my language (as is the case with amazon echo and google home). I also doubt that when thinking hi-fi homepod (being a universal unit) can outbeat my setup. multiroom is what sonos does quite well (despite few drawbacks). Also apple stuff is gettting more and more expensive (so I am thinking about switching to android). So once again, what do I lose without airplay?