Answered

AirPlay 2 request

Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I understand that SonosNet is allegedly superior to Wi-Fi/AirPlay for streaming.. but I hope Sonos re-considers the decision to not implement AirPlay. Now with AirPlay 2 supporting HomeKit integration, I really do not desire purchasing a Sonos Connect & Airport Express for every room in order to stream to all of my Sonos speakers outside of the Sonos app and tie-in to HomeKit.
icon

Best answer by Jeff S 9 August 2018, 19:31

This is an older thread, but I wanted to post and update to make sure everyone knows that we've added AirPlay 2 support to Sonos. You can read more about the integration here.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

161 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Note that you only need one AirPlay capable device, connected into the Line-In of a CONNECT (or PLAY:5, or CONNECT:AMP), to stream AirPlay to any or all of your SONOS speakers. That's one of the strengths of the SONOS system. If you want multiple AirPlay streams in different rooms, you'll need multiple AirPlay devices.

I don't disagree that native AirPlay support would be nice, for when there's no alternative. For all cases where there is an alternative, SONOS's approach (where the speakers autonomously stream content without requiring the controller) is greatly superior -- and I have extensive experience of using both.
Userlevel 3
Badge
It's time. These speakers have enough technology inside to support airplay. And if they don't the boost or similar device should allow this to be enabled without buying more already expensive speakers.

AirPlay 2s multi room ability means the current "hack" (it's no solution) solution probably won't work. Come on Sonos, get with it. Your customers are Apple users and Apple users are your potential customers. Or just wait until Apple brings out a competitive product and watch customers like me replace Sonos with something that better integrates with my ecosystem.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Regardless of only needing one Connect, I would prefer AirPlay included on the speaker firmware to avoid having an AirPort Express in each room. AirPlay 2 was just announced with minimal details, but it appears that the AppleTV will act as the controller/hub.. Having the added capability is the superior option because I can stream with Sonos when I want a higher quality listening experience, and for all other needs AirPlay for the win. I'm assuming it comes to a licensing/money issue for why Sonos has chosen not to implement, because other manufacturers are doing it and from a usability perspective, it's not confusing and "just works".
Sonos' doom has been forecast on here for 10 years, because of its lack of Airplay. Sonos is already a multiroom, multisource, multicontroller system, with superior technology to Airplay. May Sonos never touch Airplay with a bargepole.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Or just wait until Apple brings out a competitive product and watch customers like me replace Sonos with something that better integrates with my ecosystem.

Looks like that might happen with the announcement of the HomePod. I'm dubious it's as good as the advanced Sonos speaker setups, but it looks to be better than the Play 1 - Play 5 AND will support AirPlay 2.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Sonos' doom has been forecast on here for 10 years, because of its lack of Airplay. Sonos is already a multiroom, multisource, multicontroller system, with superior technology to Airplay. May Sonos never touch Airplay with a bargepole.

Not saying Sonos will fail for not supporting AirPlay.. I love my Sonos and it's audio quality. I desire the added capability for my needs.. And having it wouldn't impede on anyone streaming with SonosNet if that's what they prefer.
Userlevel 2
What about Bose (and their whole home audio that supports airplay 2)?
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
What about Bose? I don't own Bose speakers. I prefer my Sonos.
Userlevel 2
I hope Sonos becomes more responsive to customers. I had already been holding off on future purchases since I had to kluge together support for AirPlay using a Connect and Denon receiver. My other biggest issue was wanting voice control for times I have my hands full or am in the shower etc. With the HomePod announcement, Apple has solutions to both these issues. I'm strongly considering switching. Apple put a shot across Sonos's bow and called Sonos out by name.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I hope Sonos becomes more responsive to customers. I had already been holding off on future purchases since I had to kluge together support for AirPlay using a Connect and Denon receiver. My other biggest issue was wanting voice control for times I have my hands full or am in the shower etc. With the HomePod announcement, Apple has solutions to both these issues. I'm strongly considering switching. Apple put a shot across Sonos's bow and called Sonos out by name.

I found it interesting they called them out as not being a smart speaker, but I think Sonos has made great strides in introducing lots of cool software updates. I doubt the HomePod will be able to touch the quality of having a Playbar, two Plays, and a sub.. The microphone inclusion might be nice but my phone & watch already do that. Time will tell.

I just hope they decide to implement AirPlay 2 support. My next option would be to setup an "AirPlay server", with an AirPort Express key and modified Sonos firmware for a hacked solution to AirPlay streaming. I don't think that will work for the HomeKit integration though.
Userlevel 2
I mentioned Bose as I would rate their sound quality, in case there is the assumption the homepod would be inferior. I went with sonos as they "integrated" with spotify (if we can call it that, you can't group speakers in spotify, nor can you change an individual speaker's volume. that coupled with the random full volume issue is just icing on the cake.

So if I can press one of 6 buttons on a Bose to play a given playlist on a given set of speakers without getting my phone out, fantastic, couple that with being to group, ungroup and set volume individually without loading an app up (Airplay 2)...

The nicest part of the Spotify "integration" is when you're in spotify, and want to add a speaker to the group and set the volume, it pops up the sonos app and you can add a speaker to the group but not set volumes, so you click out, return to spotify, press the home button, launch the sonos app, which is still on the grouping screen, go to the main screen, then go to the now playing screen, then the volume control then you can finally set a speaker's volume.

Smooth.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I mentioned Bose as I would rate their sound quality, in case there is the assumption the homepod would be inferior. I went with sonos as they "integrated" with spotify (if we can call it that, you can't group speakers in spotify, nor can you change an individual speaker's volume. that coupled with the volume issue is just icing on the cake.

So if I can press one of 6 buttons on a Bose to play a given playlist on a given set of speakers without getting my phone out, fantastic, couple that with being to group, ungroup and set volume individually without loading an app up...

The nicest part of the Spotify "integration" is when you're in spotify, and want to add a speaker to the group and set the volume, it pops up the sonos app and you can add a speaker to the group but not set volumes, so you click out, return to spotify, press the home button, launch the sonos app, which is still on the grouping screen, go to the main screen, then go to the now playing screen, then the volume control then you can finally set a speaker's volume.

Smooth.

I'm just not interested in jumping ship from Sonos as I truly love the sound quality and the grouping features within the Sonos App. The inclusion of AirPlay 2 support would also allow multi-room playing without the kludginess of the Sonos app though. What are the volume issues you have? I definitely notice that switching inputs keeps the volume at what it was for the previous input which is irritating. I'd like to set a default per input.
Userlevel 2
Volume issue here best bit is it likes to do it at silly o'clock and I have neighbours...:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDOKNI2VuIA

And it took me seconds to design a screen that could be used in place of the group speaker screen spotify opens in the sonos app:-

add speakers and set volume in one step (it's kind of like they're not trying) 😕
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Oh, so it's a Spotify integration issue within the Sonos app.. I don't use Spotify. That's a bummer though.
Userlevel 2
I think not having AirPlay2 will be a deal killer for many. The SONOS iOS app is nice but I sometimes want to sit around and watch something on my iPad and still have good audio.

Now that's AirPlay2 can natively support multiroom audio in an easy to use manner which was the main use for the SONOS app really I fail to see why AirPlay won't be integrated. Look I get that AirPlay may not have the same fidelity as SONOS but usability comes first.

My girlfriend returned her Playbase and Play5 when she found out they couldn't do AirPlay. I'm AMAZED Apple is selling Sonos in their own stores...
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
I think not having AirPlay2 will be a deal killer for many. The SONOS iOS app is nice but I sometimes want to sit around and watch something on my iPad and still have good audio.

Now that's AirPlay2 can natively support multiroom audio in an easy to use manner which was the main use for the SONOS app really I fail to see why AirPlay won't be integrated. Look I get that AirPlay may not have the same fidelity as SONOS but usability comes first.

My girlfriend returned her Playbase and Play5 when she found out they couldn't do AirPlay. I'm AMAZED Apple is selling Sonos in their own stores...

My thoughts exactly.. it's a huge drawback. Although it's not been a deal killer for me, I'm still hopeful Sonos will listen. What is yet to be seen with AirPlay 2/HomePod and multi-room support is the ability to stream multiple streams from Apple Music to different speaker groups. With Sonos, I can start Apple Music within the Sonos app and push two different songs/stations/playlists to multiple speakers or groups. I can then leave the house and it all keeps playing. Not sure that AirPlay 2 or the HomePod will implement this out the gate.
Userlevel 2
kind of, spotify app can set the volume of the group in spotify itself and has has a kind of "more" button for when you need to group speakers (which pops up the sonos app, like in that video, but from grouping the speakers you've got an epic trek to set it's volume, and that awful if it's volume was up high last time it was used and you're using it late at night).

Even using sonos's app, if you want to add a speaker to an already playing group but want to make sure you're not blasted by sound, you have to either:-

1) Add it and pray
2) pause the music then you will find it's volume slider will show when you touch the volume slider
3) switch to the group it's currently in, and set it's volume, switch back, and add it to the group.

They can make good hardware, but their apps are really not great from an experience point of view.

Simple changes like adding volume sliders to the grouping screen would make life so much easier.

Also on a tangent permanent groups that speakers are always a member of would be nice, eg "upstairs" or "getting ready for work" and "whole house" currently my alarm (bedroom only) removes the bedroom from the group and then I have to re-add it every morning, simple way of handling conflicts would be if a perm group starts playing something, all speakers in it return to it if they're not already in it.

Sound, once set up, is supposed to get out of the way and just be there, not require thinking about or babysitting.
Badge +1
... to avoid having an AirPort Express in each room ...

Two points:

1. You do not need an AirPort Express in each room. You only need one AirPort Express, located near and plugged in to a CONNECT or a PLAY:5, per simultaneous AirPlay stream.

2. You only need an AirPort Express if you want to stream music from a service SONOS does not support.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

1. You do not need an AirPort Express in each room. You only need one AirPort Express, located near and plugged in to a CONNECT or a PLAY:5, per simultaneous AirPlay stream.

That's correct. Once again though, the kludginess comes into play with having to go into the Sonos app and group the speakers you want to play together in addition to pushing the stream to the AirPlay device connected to the Sonos Connect.

2. You only need an AirPort Express if you want to stream music from a service SONOS does not support.

I'm tracking... Proud owner of a multi-room Sonos setup to include a Connect which is setup to a pre-amp that has both my AirPort Express and turntable connected to the inputs.
Is Airplay 2 just rebranded Play-Fi? With all the existing Play-Fi members listed as partners I have to wonder if Apple really produced anything new as opposed to just co-opting existing technology.

Also what is the release date for this? I assume it will be available a lot sooner than the Homepod?
Userlevel 2
SONOS, please listen to your customers and make their wish reality. Your speakers are not cheap to fear about paying Apple Airplay royalties.
I am certainly holding off indefinitely of buying another SONOS product until there's some announcement about Airplay support. If it doesn't arrive till the end of the year, I will switch entirely to HomePods.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2
Is Airplay 2 just rebranded Play-Fi? With all the existing Play-Fi members listed as partners I have to wonder if Apple really produced anything new as opposed to just co-opting existing technology.

Also what is the release date for this? I assume it will be available a lot sooner than the Homepod?

It will ship with iOS 11 which will be in the Fall I believe. Existing speakers will likely need a firmware update to support.
Userlevel 5
Badge +2

What is yet to be seen with AirPlay 2/HomePod and multi-room support is the ability to stream multiple streams from Apple Music to different speaker groups. With Sonos, I can start Apple Music within the Sonos app and push two different songs/stations/playlists to multiple speakers or groups. I can then leave the house and it all keeps playing. Not sure that AirPlay 2 or the HomePod will implement this out the gate.

Visually, it appears AirPlay 2 will support pushing multiple streams to grouped and individual speakers simultaneously. I still am curious if the HomePod can play music without the iDevice having to "push" the music similarly to how Sonos Playbar runs Apple Music.

Userlevel 3
Badge
I'm AMAZED Apple is selling Sonos in their own stores...

I'm sure it's only a matter of time before Apple quietly starts removing Sonos from the retail locations.
Userlevel 2
Badge
OK, I admit it, I am a frustrated Sonos customer. Looks like I did a mistake in trusting that Sonos has a sustainable vision, power and intelligence to execute on it.

Much like GoPro, Sonos managed to be the first generating a huge success in an innovative product niche but they seem to overestimate the uniqueness of their products, underestimate the speed of competitors and they seem to not understand (or ignore or patronize) part of their customers.

Let's face it, there are much better hifi wlan speakers with multiroom support available, that are maybe more expensive but not so expensive that someone, who is spending thousands to equip the house with (Sonos) speakers, wouldn't consider buying them (e.g. Dynaudio Xeos / Focus). On the lower end Amazon and Apple release their own speakers with maximum ecosystem integration.

Competitors software may lack some of the integration features of the Sonos app but it is most likely a matter of months until you can ask e.g Alexa to arrange playlists and play streams from any source in a set of rooms - and on IOS it will be likely the same for those supporting Airplay2 / HomeKit.

More than a year ago Play5 was released with microphones. Did I miss an announcement what they are for? Is it enough for a tech company to release yet another speaker every 1-2 years to stay ahead of the competition and survive? Except for cosmetic changes and one more streaming service every year that is only of very minor interest for the majority of users, what are the big improvements and new functionality in the IOS app (except trueplay)? Remember that it took months and years of begging until Sonos implemented a simple 'Repeat one' functionality into their playlists?

"We’re constantly looking for ways to improve the experience – with new products, new software and continually investing in ways to provide our customers with the best experience possible."

Above is part of Sonos' vision statement. I hear it but I don't see it executed.

In these days you are either innovative enough to make your own ecosystem a success, you are solvent enough to establish your ecosystem or you integrate with - and extend (and stay ahead of) capabilities of existing leading ecosystems.

For Sonos, with the exception of trueplay, I don't see the innovation (anymore) and I doubt they are solvent enough, so they should go for integration with ecosystems (what they partially did with Amazon). So it makes a lot of sense to integrate with Apple too - and "the best user experience", to quote Sonos, is a complete HomeKit integration.

If Sonos decides to continue to ignore the questions, wishes and worries of their users, an increasing number will hold back further purchases of Sonos products. Some might decide to sell now, before the public realizes that Sonos might be a dying ecosystem and resale value drops.

SONOS WAKE UP!!!