Airplay 2, phone call drops

When I listen to music using Apple Music on my iPhone and Sonos Play:One with Airplay 2, the phone call "drops" after some time. The call is still active, but the sound dissapear for me and the person on the other end. Then I have to disconnect the call and call back. Then it works...but after some time: silence again.

14 replies

I have this exact same issue, anyone?
Userlevel 7
Badge +25
What version of iOS are you running on your phone when this happens? It's possible that this is something Apple is working on with iOS 12. Do you have any other AirPlay 2 devices that aren't Sonos compatible which you can try this out with?
11.4.1 so are you implying that this is not going to work until an unreleased version of the software is released? My only other airplay2 compatible device is a HomePod but I will give it a go and report back.
Same issue for me :(
It happens with regular and FaceTime audio calls...
I have the same issue and have been asking Sonos support about it - they think it may be an AirPlay 2 issue. FYI, it happens when the 'song' in apple music is changing to a new track (for me, at least) - and if I am connected to a BlueTooth headset (for the phne call) switching away from and back to the headset (within the call) gets the call back - try it, and see if your issue is the same?
Badge
I've also noticed this. Not sure if there was ever a resolution but we are well into iOS 12 and it's still not fixed.
Badge
Same issue. Apple has at different times said this is Sonos at fault and then that my XR is faulty and needs the Bluetooth repaired. As I’m a 5 hour drive from an Apple store this is a huge frustration. Anyone having this problem ever get it resolved?
Same issue. Apple has at different times said this is Sonos at fault and then that my XR is faulty and needs the Bluetooth repaired. As I’m a 5 hour drive from an Apple store this is a huge frustration. Anyone having this problem ever get it resolved?

This issue happens on all airplay 2 speakers as far as I can tell and has been a problem ever since they released it. I have done two reports now at their feedback page on this issue, my current resolution is to have to answer the call and then pause and then redirect audio back to my phone. This solves the issue but is incredibly frustrating. If you can also submit a report (feedback Apple iPhone, google it) maybe they will recognise this bug?
I have the exact same problem. Has anyone been able to fix this? It is very annoying as the phone call's audio stops working but the connection is still there with very good signal reception. I have to hang up and call the person back to get audio working again but it will happen again.
I have the exact same problem. Has anyone been able to fix this? It is very annoying as the phone call's audio stops working but the connection is still there with very good signal reception. I have to hang up and call the person back to get audio working again but it will happen again.
What does Sonos have to do with this issue? You know how Airplay works, right? You ought to get in touch with Apple support for assistance.
Smilja, I have no problem getting in touch with Apple. But this problem only occurs when I use airplay2 to stream music on my Sonos speakers. I never had this issue before. So please educate me why Sonos has nothing to do with this.
Smilja, I have no problem getting in touch with Apple. But this problem only occurs when I use airplay2 to stream music on my Sonos speakers. I never had this issue before. So please educate me why Sonos has nothing to do with this.
You may want to read this. Sonos is merely an output device. You are initiating and controlling Airplay from the Airplay menu on iOS. Beyond that, I presume that you are receiving the phone calls on the iPhone rather than on your Sonos speakers. Which is why getting in touch with Apple is your best bet.
Userlevel 2
So...the only solution is manually pausing Apple Music when accepting/placing a phone call?
So...the only solution is manually pausing Apple Music when accepting/placing a phone call?
Aye!