Answered

AirPlay 2......how much longer must we wait...?

Badge
This seems to be taking an eternity to implement.

Thing is, the ability to play media directly from an iOS device has been around and available for years now with the "on this iPhone" facility. I don't see how implementing AirPlay is all that different?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 5 July 2018, 19:48

From this iPhone is the system treating your phone like a temporary NAS, going and grabbing the data from the storage location.

AirPlay 2 is taking sound from the stream in the Operating System and sending that to a speaker.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
It's been said that it would be available this month. I would imagine it will arrive as a software update released when the Beam also becomes available at retail for purchase, or when pre-orders start shipping. Just a little more patience. 🙂
From this iPhone is the system treating your phone like a temporary NAS, going and grabbing the data from the storage location.

AirPlay 2 is taking sound from the stream in the Operating System and sending that to a speaker.

AirPlay 2 is taking sound from the stream of sound from the Operating System and sending that to a speaker.
Indeed. Completely different technologies. Sonos deliberately shunned Airplay because it was crap. Airplay 2 has only just launched and there is integration to do and testing. As MikeV said, a bit more patience is required.

Thing is, the ability to play media directly from an iOS device has been around and available for years now with the "on this iPhone" facility. I don't see how implementing AirPlay is all that different?
Lucky you aren't running Sonos then.
Badge
I thought my point likening playing music "from this iPhone" to AirPlay was valid?

Care to explain how it isn't John B?

Alas, yes I know they're working on it....when it does finally land it will be a MAJOR milestone for Sonos usability.

Lucky you aren't running Sonos then.
Badge
OK thanks guys, good to understand.
Badge
I suspect the software update will arrive within the next 10 days. The Beam is slated to arrive on July 17th with this is as one of the major features. It may even arrive a few days earlier to existing speakers. I'm also very anxious to be able to use something other than the controller app. SOON! 😃