AirPlay

Userlevel 2
Please add support for Apple's AirPlay.

AirPlay

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

209 replies

Badge
Why? Sonos' mesh architecture, proprietary wireless and synchronization between zones is far superior.

I think he is probably referring to the ability to push what you are currently listening too on your iPhone/iPad/iPod to your sonos system.

I would also love the feature, most days when I get home I am listening to something on my iPhone, the ability to instantly push the music to my home system would be very much appreciated.
Badge
Please add support for Apple's AirPlay.

AirPlay

Second.
Sonos can stream lossless audio, can play your entire iTunes library (from both local and cloud if you have an Apple Music sub) and automatically imports iTunes and other playlists. Granted it does it via a different app than Airplay, but that is going to be the case even if Sonos adopted Airplay. So I don't see why these features are holding you back.

As an aside, the CEO has stated in no uncertain terms that he feels Airplay is inferior technology and has given good reasons (unreliability, double to triple the bandwidth, no multi-room, limited to a single stream from a single device, etc.). Given this, and the fact Sonos has recently announced it will be promoting its own stream "direct from an app" technology, the chances of seeing native Airplay support is very slim. Since you already have an extensive Airplay network, perhaps you could ease the transition by utilizing the officially supported Airplay method by getting a Sonos unit with a line-in and connecting an Airport Express.
Userlevel 2
Yeah and you might have a guest who wants you to hear some music or bring it to a party. AirPlay would make it easy to enjoy on the Sonos system rather than on the crappy speaker of the iPhone/iPod.
Strategically, what would Sonos lose by getting into this game? The Sonos S5, in particular, would make a great AirPlay device, and even at it's current price, it's well positioned to compete at the high-end of the AirPlay speakers market.

Certain to be better than this and its ilk: http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/03/ihome-teases-first-airplay-compatible-portable-speaker-dock/

I think the AirPlay speaker ecosystem is going to be a market opportunity on the scale of iPod/iPhone dock connector speakers or, say, iPhone/iPod covers. A lot of people are going to be buying these things.

Maybe Sonos could, in a sense, co-opt Airplay... "Yes, our wireless speakers sound and work great and they support AirPlay so you can play your iTunes or iPod music to it wirelessly. Oh and by the way, with our device you can listen to not ONLY music from iTunes but Pandora, Rhapsody and other music services as well!"
Userlevel 2
Yes, you wouldn't even need a NAS or server with your music. For some it would be enough to be able to stream from their iOS device
I would also love being able to stream music directly from my iPhone to Sonos. Preferably by sending whatever sound was playing on the iPhone, be that my Spotify app, Rhapsody app or the standard iPod app.
After using it for a few days with iOS 4.2 Beta, my one and only request is full support of AirPlay.

I think it is extremely valuable not only for us users but also for the growth of the Sonos system and brand. Embrace AirPlay, do not fight it by ignoring it. Doing that could prove to be the downfall of Sonos in general.

AirPlay works extremely simple. Any playback of sound or video (and it's associated sound) in iOS can be sent with a single click to an Airplay-ready device.

So imagine you are sitting in your living room, browsing the net on the iPad, listening to music via your Sonos. You see a link to a movie trailer and play it. The iPad speakers are not great, so you simply click on the Airplay icon, select "Sonos Living Room", your Sonos music stops and the trailer's sound uses your sound system. Afterwards, just continue playing your music via Sonos from your music library.

The same situation for bedroom iPad surfing and the sudden urge to watch Netflix - with one click you have the sound via your bedroom Sonos Zone.

And finally, with teenagers in the house who do have some of their music only on their iPod Touch, or iPhone, when they are in their room they can play their music via the Sonos Zone in that room with one click on their Touch and iPhone.

If Sonos can list every Zone as an Airplay device I think this will expand out the usability for iPad and iPhone, and iPod Touch users tremendously. Pretty powerful stuff!

If you have the Beta, a spare Airport express And connect it's audio-out to the line-in of the Sonos Zone, you can try the basic principle and see the potential of Sonos integrates their Zones fully as AirPlay devices.

Comments welcome.

HF
Userlevel 2
I've already requested this in another thread in fewer words though

+1

I don't agree about the wifi problem. It's not a reason not to provide the feature for various reasons.

1. might be used in a powered way
2. if airplay of music really killed the battery that fast, why would apple make the feature at all?
3. airplay might be a requirement for some buyers which would make them skip sonos who get left behind
4. batteries and technology gets less power hungry as time goes by. for example iphone 4 has more available than 3gs.
So you are saying that even heavy weights in the high-end audio space like Denon and Marantz were not smart enough to realize that AirPlay is nothing more than something "magic" Apple has thrown at them?

I am saying that heavy weights in the high-end audio space like Denon and Marantz are smart enough to realize that AirPlay is something Apple is marketing, thus people will want, thus they will make lots of money by providing it. This is a great business idea, and one that I believe Sonos should look into....for that reason. It doesn't change the fact, (fact: not an opinion, to answer gman's comment) that if they are using traditional wifi which is in fact a standard than it will have to have the same plusses and minuses that traditional wifi is already known to have. If they would have instead mentioned a so-far-unknown newer wireless technology (which they obviously cannot do because their current products such as the ipod, ipad, etc wouldn't then be able to be the sources) then you would be right. None of us would know anything about it, and we could trust that apple has some new magic idea in its hands and it might work unbelievably better than the current wifi we all know and love/hate.
Userlevel 2
I am saying that heavy weights in the high-end audio space like Denon and Marantz are smart enough to realize that AirPlay is something Apple is marketing, thus people will want, thus they will make lots of money by providing it. This is a great business idea, and one that I believe Sonos should look into....for that reason. It doesn't change the fact, (fact: not an opinion, to answer gman's comment) that if they are using traditional wifi which is in fact a standard than it will have to have the same plusses and minuses that traditional wifi is already known to have. If they would have instead mentioned a so-far-unknown newer wireless technology (which they obviously cannot do because their current products such as the ipod, ipad, etc wouldn't then be able to be the sources) then you would be right. None of us would know anything about it, and we could trust that apple has some new magic idea in its hands and it might work unbelievably better than the current wifi we all know and love/hate.

I guess we then all have to wait until some of the AirPlay hardware is put to the test. I am not nearly as negative about WiFi to feed the source into Sonos (which then can take the role of synchronizing the feed if played in multiple rooms). I am able to watch 720p HDTV feed from VUDU, over WiFi without any problems and even 1080p (with 5.1 audio) works for extended periods before a brief caching takes place. If true 1080p feeds works over WiFi, why would it be that far fetched to think that WiFi can easily handle audio feeds (as I mentioned before, I do not talk about multi-room synchronization which is undoubtedly Sonos's strength but the actual feed to Sonos over WiFi)?

In regards to Denon and Marantz jumping on AirPlay solely because it would sell their products: I have been owning Denon products for a long time and every feature they put into their boxes has worked as intended. Hence, I doubt that Denon and Marantz blindly jumped on AirPlay so that they can sell more of their products despite the risk of providing a mediocre experience and in turn alienating their customers.
... I doubt that Denon and Marantz blindly jumped on AirPlay so that they can sell more of their products despite the risk of providing a mediocre experience and in turn alienating their customers.

In the interest of meeting a time to market window dictated by the marketing department, I'm seeing all manufacturers being more aggressive in their announcement of features. Since so much of a current product's features are software defined, manufacturers are shipping the first batch of new product with defects that, hopefully, will be corrected with software updates by the time the first units reach the consumer.

I'm not singling out any particular manufacturer.

At this writing, there is no body of "real world" experience for AirPlay.

In the case of music streaming, the product landscape is littered with product that seemed great on paper and in the lab, but tripped and fell in the real world.

I think that this is a discussion about whether Apple is or should be controlling the A/V market. There is a large, vocal market segment that feels that anything that Apple does is wonderful and everyone else MUST follow. While I think that Apple has some great ideas and they can take advantage of their economy of scale, I find their products are closed and rather limited.
There are too many big name brands that have tried doing music streaming over home wifi that have failed or if still viable have a 50% owner complaint rate, and they use larger antennas, fixed-location boxes, and more powerful machines (in the sense of it vs an ipod/ipad).

I am not doubting that denon, et al will implement a feature to the best of its ability. I too have a good history with denon. But they can implement something to the BEST of ITS (not denon) ability and that can still mean its not as good as other options. Unless the masses of people move over to lossless audio, for example, even taking out the wifi component, audio from a lower quality source on the ipod isn't going to be made amazing just because it gets pushed through a denon. The attached CD player would rock its face off. (quality wise). I didn't mean to say Denon would do a poor job of it. (and in fact, i mentioned they should do it and sonos probably should do it, business wise). However they might implement THE BEST version of airplay... and it might still lead to squeezebox-forum-style complaining or a whole new slew of "my ipod battery is needing to be charged 3 times a day but its not user replaceable" issues.
Userlevel 2
I would guess that the typical Denon owner is smart enough to understand the quality difference of various sources.

We occasionally stream music through WiFi from iTunes or Napster to the Denon receiver in our media room and it sounds perfectly fine for casual listening and parties. Naturally, DVD music hooked up to the same Denon sounds much better but it also greatly outperforms what the ZonePlayers can deliver around the house (which is perfectly fine since we never expected an audio quality from Sonos that would match Denon's).
Userlevel 2
If I were Sonos, I would never early adopt an untested technology. Sonos works perfectly. Implementing Airplay at this time could set my reputation at risk. Therefore, me myself will patiently wait and test.
Userlevel 2
I absolutely want Airplay, supermega +1!

If I buy a song on itunes with my ipad I want to play it imediately on Sonos without the hassle of getting it into my NAS first!

Airplay integration would also be in line with this statement from Sonos: "This new dock reinforces our mission to provide our customers with access to all of the music on the planet, including everything available on an iPod and iPhone in the home."

Airplay integration would do much much more to fulfil this mission than the dock! Myself I'm skipping the dock and instead getting an Airport Express using line-in, it is acually cheaper than the dock!
Userlevel 2
It would be good to see the integration of airtunes/airplay in sonos product so you can play music straight from itunes it self without having to open the sonos program. This would be a good features as it would enable you to play buy edit all from one place instead of changing apps for different tasks.. Annoying.
Userlevel 2
Airplay went live today for Apple products and it works very well. I for one would love to see Airplay supported on my S5s. The DIRECT link to iTunes and all it's functionality is something I greatly desire. I am willing to part ways with Sonos for a product similar to my S5s that does.

Hear that sound? It's the future and it's called Airplay. Coming like a freight train...
Airplay went live today for Apple products and it works very well. I for one would love to see Airplay supported on my S5s. The DIRECT link to iTunes and all it's functionality is something I greatly desire. I am willing to part ways with Sonos for a product similar to my S5s that does.

Hear that sound? It's the future and it's called Airplay. Coming like a freight train...

Get an airport express and hook it up to line-in of the S5. That will give you airplay capability on all players in your system.
Hi Avee,

Any chance of a tutorial on how we might set an Airport Express up in this way? I'm sure many people would appreciate the guidance.

I already have a wireless network, so I'm not sure how I'd integrate an Airport Express? Can it connect to my existing network?

Thanks
Check here:
Airplay
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4325
Airport Express Setup
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1731?viewlocale=en_US
Using Sonos Line in
https://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sonos.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1091

With the AE set up, you play something via airplay, and set any Sonos zone to play the line-in of the Zone you have connected the AE to.
Thanks Avee,

That seems relatively straightforward, I'm off to eBay now for an Airport Express.

🙂
Userlevel 2
The only Problem is that Airplay works not well with the Airport Express at this time ..... i stream any tracks ... a few seconds the Musik play and than the stream stops :-(

Perhaps i'm the Bug .... i don't tested very long airplay ;-)

Sorry for BAD English 😉
The only Problem is that Airplay works not well with the Airport Express at this time ..... i stream any tracks ... a few seconds the Musik play and than the stream stops :-(

I don't believe it!

I was assured that Apple would never release a product which could fail in this way!

:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
I don't believe it!

I was assured that Apple would never release a product which could fail in this way!

:rolleyes:

Cheers,

Keith

Yes ....i think the Problem is not at Airplay .... i will check it in a few days and search for the Problem i have .

But 4.2.1 have a few Bugs .... Playlists for Podcast are only shown when i sync my Musik Libary...

next bug: When i create a Playlist on iTunes and expand the playlist on ipad .... at the next sync with itunes the Tracks expanded on ipad will be deleted in the playlist. :-(

But this is OffTopic ;-)

PS: My English is BAD ... SORRY 😛