AirPlay

Userlevel 2
Please add support for Apple's AirPlay.

AirPlay

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

209 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +13
As has been mentioned, if you have a Connect, then add an Airport Express to it, name it "Sonos" then from any iPad/iPod select Airplay Sonos and there you go.

Where and when was this announced? Or is this inside info you are giving? Would like to know more about this new technology..

It was announced at the big August press conference, along with the Voice Control and whole home automation announcements. First on board is Spotify (beta coming this month), then Pandora, with hopefully more to come. See the press release here:

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening

More to Come

Rapid innovation is happening across native apps from all the streaming services. Sonos also announced its commitment to enable direct control experiences across its entire lineup of music service partners, including Pandora.

"We’ve collaborated with Sonos for years to create a delightful, personal in-home experience for Pandora listeners," said Tim Westergren, Pandora CEO and founder. "Using your Pandora app to control Sonos will take this unique music experience one step further – making it easier to use than ever before. We’re excited to continue our quest with Sonos for the ultimate home music solution.”
Badge
Ok thanks for the info. We will keep an eye out for official announcements from sonos in this matter..
None of us on here has inside information nor would claim to. @jgatie was referring to this, I imagine:

http://press-us.sonos.com/134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening

Edit: sorry missed Stuart's post as just over a "page". Didn't intend to duplicate.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Given this, and the fact Sonos has recently announced it will be promoting its own stream "direct from an app" technology, the chances of seeing native Airplay support is very slim.

Where and when was this announced? Or is this inside info you are giving? Would like to know more about this new technology..

jgatie, even if he had any (inside information) which he most likely doesn't, wouldn't be posting it on a public forum.

You can look at the press release here 134980-sonos-with-partners-and-industry-leaders-ushers-in-new-era-of-connected-home-listening
Badge
Given this, and the fact Sonos has recently announced it will be promoting its own stream "direct from an app" technology, the chances of seeing native Airplay support is very slim.

And, as has been noted elsewhere, Bose dropped it from their latest SoundTouch speakers for similar reasons.

Probably at a cost of multiple millions of dollars and time. And people question why Sonos finds it an unacceptable risk to incorporate inferior and proprietary third party technology?
As an aside, the CEO has stated in no uncertain terms that he feels Airplay is inferior technology and has given good reasons (unreliability, double to triple the bandwidth, no multi-room, limited to a single stream from a single device, etc.).
And, as has been noted elsewhere, Bose dropped it from their latest SoundTouch speakers for similar reasons.
Absolutely jgatie!

AirPlay works well enough for my general needs ( most of the time). The Sonos mesh, however, is my preferred route if possible for all the reasons spelled out throughout this forum. I am gradually replacing airplay with Sonos , room by room, as finance permits. Both can work well side by side. The ' direct from the app" experience will, hopefully, be a further step forward giving options as to which app to use (Spotify/Sonos initially).
Sonos can stream lossless audio, can play your entire iTunes library (from both local and cloud if you have an Apple Music sub) and automatically imports iTunes and other playlists. Granted it does it via a different app than Airplay, but that is going to be the case even if Sonos adopted Airplay. So I don't see why these features are holding you back.

As an aside, the CEO has stated in no uncertain terms that he feels Airplay is inferior technology and has given good reasons (unreliability, double to triple the bandwidth, no multi-room, limited to a single stream from a single device, etc.). Given this, and the fact Sonos has recently announced it will be promoting its own stream "direct from an app" technology, the chances of seeing native Airplay support is very slim. Since you already have an extensive Airplay network, perhaps you could ease the transition by utilizing the officially supported Airplay method by getting a Sonos unit with a line-in and connecting an Airport Express.
Here's why I want native Apple AirPlay support in Sonos. I have built a massive library, curated many favorite playlists, and have room by room audio using iTunes and Airport Express. I would like to add Sonos speakers to my existing system, on a room-by-room basis, as I retire old equipment. It would be great to do it all at once, but I can't afford that. Changing one room at a time from Apple to Sonos allows me to keep my music library and ecosystem, while ultimately getting the best sound.

Currently, I have multi-room audio by using 4 Airport Express, 3 stereo receivers, 1 pair of powered speakers, and a lot of speaker wire. I store all my music in iTunes in Apple Lossless format. I have over 20,000 songs. This set up allows me to serve 7 different sets of speakers in my house and yard. Granted it's a bit kludgy, but I started this well over a decade ago. Long before Sonos was available.

I clearly see the advantages of Sonos and have friends who have been extolling the virtues for years. However, I am not in a position to dump everything at once and switch to Sonos. I would like to do it room by room, over time.

Apple AirPlay is very important to me for many reasons, not least of which is that I can stream lossless audio and play my entire library that resides in iTunes. I have been curating playlists for over a decade and don't want to dump them and start over. I personally like iTunes and like collecting lossless audio.

Bringing Apple legacy users into the Sonos family would be easy with native AirPlay support.
Userlevel 2
Badge
Single most frustrating feature of a SONOS is that it doesn't support Apple's Airplay.

I understand why Sonos would choose not to support but its not customer friendly. At all.
Exceltrading. You write from a position of total ignorance. And if there is any company that shuns industry standards it is Apple. Airplay is proprietary, outdated and unreliable. Sonos will never and should never have anything to do with it.
exceltrading,

SONOS has not sold its soul. SONOS does not receive any compensation from music services. Any music service that conforms to the SONOS interface specification is welcome. SONOS does not care if the service is free or not.

Another solution for you is to use the analog audio output from an AirportExpress connected to a SONOS Line-In. In this configuration anything that AirPlay can stream to the AirportExpress can be played through the SONOS system.
HI,
I am disappointed with sonos the way that it has sold its soul to the paying versions of streaming. They have obviously got a kick back from those services.
Spending thousands of dollars in purchasing the hardware and then being told which sources we can listen too is disgusting.
Airplay should be a standard along with an analogue to digital client for your pc. Your hardware is good but i'm warning others about the undesirable limitations of your system's sources for cash.

Another clueless poster. Kickbacks? Get a friggin' clue!
HI,
I am disappointed with sonos the way that it has sold its soul to the paying versions of streaming. They have obviously got a kick back from those services.
Spending thousands of dollars in purchasing the hardware and then being told which sources we can listen too is disgusting.
Airplay should be a standard along with an analogue to digital client for your pc. Your hardware is good but i'm warning others about the undesirable limitations of your system's sources for cash.
I've also got the line-in on a splitter and have my record player hooked up as well.
This is thoroughly unwise. Splitters cables are not to be used as passive combiners. Each source is looking into the output of the other. You could end up damaging both sources.
Badge
Airplay with Sonos is possible! Currently with the Apple TV 3rd Gen being around $79.99 in price you can achieve AirPlay on your Sonos device with a Line-in and a Digital Audio Converter (DAC). I went this route because I didn't want to use software that could be overwritten with an update to either the Sonos system or the Mac/iOS systems. Here's how I achieve Airplay on Sonos in a few steps:

Purchase Apple TV 3rd Gen
Purchase Sonos Play:5 - http://goo.gl/whaNSr
Purchase Optical & HDMI Cables - http://goo.gl/G3odal
Purchase DAC - http://goo.gl/cNp5ES
Purchase 3.5mm Headphone Cable - http://goo.gl/jRFu7q
OR
Purchase HDMI converter and RCA to 3.5mm Cable - http://goo.gl/LwF8ve
with this http://goo.gl/uzut0t
or this if you already own RCA cables http://goo.gl/uYIBXQ

1. Connect your Sonos system to power and set up on your wifi network.
2. Connect your Apple TV to your Television and go through the process of connecting to the wifi network or connect with ethernet to your bridge, give your Apple TV a new name, I went with "SONOS", setup home sharing, set sleep mode to 15mins or to own your preference, remove any unwanted apps from the home screen, not that you'll ever see them and then disconnect the Apple TV from your television.
3. Connect Optical Cable to the back of the Apple TV and connect the optical cable to the DAC. Connect the 3.5mm cable to the DAC as well. Note: You can also use the HDMI to RCA/3.5mm Converter listed above instead of an Optical DAC converter.
4. Connect the 3.5mm cable to the Line-In port of your Sonos speaker.
5. Connect the Apple TV, Sonos speaker and DAC to power (if required) and send your music to your "SONOS" Apple TV device.

If you don't hear music, make sure your sonos speaker is set to Line-In from the music source menu from within the Sonos app. There may be a slight delay in sound from devices.

I've also got the line-in on a splitter and have my record player hooked up as well.

Enjoy!

Image of Apple TV, DAC and Sonos Play:5 speaker.

Userlevel 1
Please, do a little searching on the forum before posting ideas that have been suggested numerous times before.

And PLEASE note that Sonos does not use this forum for ideas, you need to go to ask.sonos.com and add your vote to the request there (if you can find it).
Ability use Sonos speakers in airplay...
Badge +1
I'm delighted to have Wi-Fi support with the recent 5.1 update. It's pretty awesome facilitation from Sonos I think.

I wonder if Sonos can add/integrate AirPlay support with collaboration from Apple.

Thanks
Userlevel 2
Sonos has that capability. It's called an Airport Express and available for ~$100 (albeit from Apple). This specific wheel does not need to be reinvented by Sonos directly.

Yes, I understand that.

My post was more in reply to those who seem to think that existing hardware would be incompatible, and all new hardware would be more expensive to incorporate "decoding chips".
Sonos would only need to create one stand alone AirPlay receiver, that would then use Sonos Mesh network to send audio to any/all zones (in a similar way the iPod dock works).

Sonos has that capability. It's called an Airport Express and available for ~$100 (albeit from Apple). This specific wheel does not need to be reinvented by Sonos directly.

I can't see why the would need to put chips in all other hardware, unless you wanted to be able to send more than one AirPlay stream (which is unlikely, I'm sure).

True. But for your stated purpose (and again) the AE would work just fine for your needs above.

Best of Luck
Why would all existing hardware be incompatible?

Sonos would only need to create one stand alone AirPlay receiver, that would then use Sonos Mesh network to send audio to any/all zones (in a similar way the iPod dock works).

I can't see why the would need to put chips in all other hardware, unless you wanted to be able to send more than one AirPlay stream (which is unlikely, I'm sure).

The iPod stream is not encrypted. The AirPlay stream is. I would assume the Apple lawyers would build language into the license to not allow a decrypted stream to be broadcast as raw data, only as analog audio, ala the HDMI standard. Apple is in the business to sell licensing and hardware, do you really think they want to sell a single "decoder chip" unit when they can sell multiple players?
Userlevel 2
Airplay requires additional licensing and hardware for integrated support. This would make all existing Sonos hardware incompatible, and increase the price of new hardware due to licensing, development, manufacturing changes and the cost of the Airplay chip.

There is a large thread on this already, including a feature request. Search thread titles for 'Airplay.'

Why would all existing hardware be incompatible?