AirPlay

• 1 September 2010
  • 209 replies

Userlevel 2
Please add support for Apple's AirPlay.

AirPlay

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

209 replies

i think the only person on here more frustrating than awmawm (not the opinions...i too want sonos to work in airplat at some point though not because I'll use it but because I am in marketing and I know the power of the "checked box"... but the wrong facts (honestly, ANY roaming single-point-to-single-point wifi device will have issues and any mesh network that can choose the best path at its discretion will have far fewer issues...that's not arguable) is gman who I am guessing must be a lawyer. you're warning a mod to not yell (use caps) when his points were needing to be made a few times because even the factual ones were being argued against and ridiculed by someone who must not understand networking but pretends to? you're warning this same mod about opinions when 1) they are allowed to have opinions and 2) again, we're talking about stuff that isn't opinion.

in his own words, he's stated his agreeance on certain things (like including airplay) but he is likely baffled (as I am) at the combination of ignorance (which is fine, actually) plus assertions (the part that's not fine) not about specific new "magic" features of an unreleased apple product but the STANDARD (known) means in which it and millions of other things communicate.

I'm neutral and don't really care about what happens with airplay itself... but am absolutely baffled when people talk about things they don't understand as if things can be done to avoid the laws that the STANDARD requires (not to mention physics) just because apple likes to throw around the word Magic (no relation to the forum mod with a similar name)
Userlevel 2
it's a feature that many people like me miss right now! biiiig time!!!
it's a feature that many people like me miss right now! biiiig time!!!

How can you miss something that hasn't even been released yet??? :rolleyes:
Userlevel 2
... but am absolutely baffled when people talk about things they don't understand as if things can be done to avoid the laws that the STANDARD requires (not to mention physics) just because apple likes to throw around the word Magic (no relation to the forum mod with a similar name)...

So you are saying that even heavy weights in the high-end audio space like Denon and Marantz were not smart enough to realize that AirPlay is nothing more than something "magic" Apple has thrown at them?
Userlevel 2
How can you miss something that hasn't even been released yet??? :rolleyes:

in iTunes 10 you can choose the speakers that can connect through AirPlay. With AirPortExpress you can already do that. that's the thing i miss now. and as soon as the "new iOS compatible AirPlay" will be released, i will miss this on my sonos player too! 😮
in iTunes 10 you can choose the speakers that can connect through AirPlay. With AirPortExpress you can already do that. that's the thing i miss now. and as soon as the "new iOS compatible AirPlay" will be released, i will miss this on my sonos player too! :o

:rolleyes:
So you are saying that even heavy weights in the high-end audio space like Denon and Marantz were not smart enough to realize that AirPlay is nothing more than something "magic" Apple has thrown at them?

I am saying that heavy weights in the high-end audio space like Denon and Marantz are smart enough to realize that AirPlay is something Apple is marketing, thus people will want, thus they will make lots of money by providing it. This is a great business idea, and one that I believe Sonos should look into....for that reason. It doesn't change the fact, (fact: not an opinion, to answer gman's comment) that if they are using traditional wifi which is in fact a standard than it will have to have the same plusses and minuses that traditional wifi is already known to have. If they would have instead mentioned a so-far-unknown newer wireless technology (which they obviously cannot do because their current products such as the ipod, ipad, etc wouldn't then be able to be the sources) then you would be right. None of us would know anything about it, and we could trust that apple has some new magic idea in its hands and it might work unbelievably better than the current wifi we all know and love/hate.
Userlevel 2
I am saying that heavy weights in the high-end audio space like Denon and Marantz are smart enough to realize that AirPlay is something Apple is marketing, thus people will want, thus they will make lots of money by providing it. This is a great business idea, and one that I believe Sonos should look into....for that reason. It doesn't change the fact, (fact: not an opinion, to answer gman's comment) that if they are using traditional wifi which is in fact a standard than it will have to have the same plusses and minuses that traditional wifi is already known to have. If they would have instead mentioned a so-far-unknown newer wireless technology (which they obviously cannot do because their current products such as the ipod, ipad, etc wouldn't then be able to be the sources) then you would be right. None of us would know anything about it, and we could trust that apple has some new magic idea in its hands and it might work unbelievably better than the current wifi we all know and love/hate.

I guess we then all have to wait until some of the AirPlay hardware is put to the test. I am not nearly as negative about WiFi to feed the source into Sonos (which then can take the role of synchronizing the feed if played in multiple rooms). I am able to watch 720p HDTV feed from VUDU, over WiFi without any problems and even 1080p (with 5.1 audio) works for extended periods before a brief caching takes place. If true 1080p feeds works over WiFi, why would it be that far fetched to think that WiFi can easily handle audio feeds (as I mentioned before, I do not talk about multi-room synchronization which is undoubtedly Sonos's strength but the actual feed to Sonos over WiFi)?

In regards to Denon and Marantz jumping on AirPlay solely because it would sell their products: I have been owning Denon products for a long time and every feature they put into their boxes has worked as intended. Hence, I doubt that Denon and Marantz blindly jumped on AirPlay so that they can sell more of their products despite the risk of providing a mediocre experience and in turn alienating their customers.
... I doubt that Denon and Marantz blindly jumped on AirPlay so that they can sell more of their products despite the risk of providing a mediocre experience and in turn alienating their customers.

In the interest of meeting a time to market window dictated by the marketing department, I'm seeing all manufacturers being more aggressive in their announcement of features. Since so much of a current product's features are software defined, manufacturers are shipping the first batch of new product with defects that, hopefully, will be corrected with software updates by the time the first units reach the consumer.

I'm not singling out any particular manufacturer.

At this writing, there is no body of "real world" experience for AirPlay.

In the case of music streaming, the product landscape is littered with product that seemed great on paper and in the lab, but tripped and fell in the real world.

I think that this is a discussion about whether Apple is or should be controlling the A/V market. There is a large, vocal market segment that feels that anything that Apple does is wonderful and everyone else MUST follow. While I think that Apple has some great ideas and they can take advantage of their economy of scale, I find their products are closed and rather limited.
There are too many big name brands that have tried doing music streaming over home wifi that have failed or if still viable have a 50% owner complaint rate, and they use larger antennas, fixed-location boxes, and more powerful machines (in the sense of it vs an ipod/ipad).

I am not doubting that denon, et al will implement a feature to the best of its ability. I too have a good history with denon. But they can implement something to the BEST of ITS (not denon) ability and that can still mean its not as good as other options. Unless the masses of people move over to lossless audio, for example, even taking out the wifi component, audio from a lower quality source on the ipod isn't going to be made amazing just because it gets pushed through a denon. The attached CD player would rock its face off. (quality wise). I didn't mean to say Denon would do a poor job of it. (and in fact, i mentioned they should do it and sonos probably should do it, business wise). However they might implement THE BEST version of airplay... and it might still lead to squeezebox-forum-style complaining or a whole new slew of "my ipod battery is needing to be charged 3 times a day but its not user replaceable" issues.
Userlevel 2
I would guess that the typical Denon owner is smart enough to understand the quality difference of various sources.

We occasionally stream music through WiFi from iTunes or Napster to the Denon receiver in our media room and it sounds perfectly fine for casual listening and parties. Naturally, DVD music hooked up to the same Denon sounds much better but it also greatly outperforms what the ZonePlayers can deliver around the house (which is perfectly fine since we never expected an audio quality from Sonos that would match Denon's).
Userlevel 2
If I were Sonos, I would never early adopt an untested technology. Sonos works perfectly. Implementing Airplay at this time could set my reputation at risk. Therefore, me myself will patiently wait and test.
Userlevel 2
I absolutely want Airplay, supermega +1!

If I buy a song on itunes with my ipad I want to play it imediately on Sonos without the hassle of getting it into my NAS first!

Airplay integration would also be in line with this statement from Sonos: "This new dock reinforces our mission to provide our customers with access to all of the music on the planet, including everything available on an iPod and iPhone in the home."

Airplay integration would do much much more to fulfil this mission than the dock! Myself I'm skipping the dock and instead getting an Airport Express using line-in, it is acually cheaper than the dock!
Userlevel 2
It would be good to see the integration of airtunes/airplay in sonos product so you can play music straight from itunes it self without having to open the sonos program. This would be a good features as it would enable you to play buy edit all from one place instead of changing apps for different tasks.. Annoying.
Userlevel 2
Airplay went live today for Apple products and it works very well. I for one would love to see Airplay supported on my S5s. The DIRECT link to iTunes and all it's functionality is something I greatly desire. I am willing to part ways with Sonos for a product similar to my S5s that does.

Hear that sound? It's the future and it's called Airplay. Coming like a freight train...
Airplay went live today for Apple products and it works very well. I for one would love to see Airplay supported on my S5s. The DIRECT link to iTunes and all it's functionality is something I greatly desire. I am willing to part ways with Sonos for a product similar to my S5s that does.

Hear that sound? It's the future and it's called Airplay. Coming like a freight train...

Get an airport express and hook it up to line-in of the S5. That will give you airplay capability on all players in your system.
Hi Avee,

Any chance of a tutorial on how we might set an Airport Express up in this way? I'm sure many people would appreciate the guidance.

I already have a wireless network, so I'm not sure how I'd integrate an Airport Express? Can it connect to my existing network?

Thanks
Check here:
Airplay
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4325
Airport Express Setup
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1731?viewlocale=en_US
Using Sonos Line in
https://sonos.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/sonos.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1091

With the AE set up, you play something via airplay, and set any Sonos zone to play the line-in of the Zone you have connected the AE to.
Thanks Avee,

That seems relatively straightforward, I'm off to eBay now for an Airport Express.

🙂
Userlevel 2
The only Problem is that Airplay works not well with the Airport Express at this time ..... i stream any tracks ... a few seconds the Musik play and than the stream stops :-(

Perhaps i'm the Bug .... i don't tested very long airplay ;-)

Sorry for BAD English 😉
The only Problem is that Airplay works not well with the Airport Express at this time ..... i stream any tracks ... a few seconds the Musik play and than the stream stops :-(

I don't believe it!

I was assured that Apple would never release a product which could fail in this way!

Cheers,

Keith
Userlevel 2
I don't believe it!

I was assured that Apple would never release a product which could fail in this way!

Cheers,

Keith

Yes ....i think the Problem is not at Airplay .... i will check it in a few days and search for the Problem i have .

But 4.2.1 have a few Bugs .... Playlists for Podcast are only shown when i sync my Musik Libary...

next bug: When i create a Playlist on iTunes and expand the playlist on ipad .... at the next sync with itunes the Tracks expanded on ipad will be deleted in the playlist. :-(

But this is OffTopic ;-)

PS: My English is BAD ... SORRY 😛
Userlevel 2
Would be great to be able to stream music via AirPlay to Sonos
Userlevel 2
I just plug a airport express to one of the linein. it works great. the sound quality is theoretically suboptimal but then you can have simutaneous multiroom airplay. I do wish sonos would work simplifing that.
Userlevel 2
I'm using Airplay + Airfoil to stream my system audio to the Sonos System. It is cool if your friends come and they want to play their Grooveshark playlists, or if you want to listen to Youtube videos.