AirPlay

• 1 September 2010
  • 209 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

209 replies

Strategically, what would Sonos lose by getting into this game? The Sonos S5, in particular, would make a great AirPlay device, and even at it's current price, it's well positioned to compete at the high-end of the AirPlay speakers market.

Certain to be better than this and its ilk: http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/03/ihome-teases-first-airplay-compatible-portable-speaker-dock/

I think the AirPlay speaker ecosystem is going to be a market opportunity on the scale of iPod/iPhone dock connector speakers or, say, iPhone/iPod covers. A lot of people are going to be buying these things.

Maybe Sonos could, in a sense, co-opt Airplay... "Yes, our wireless speakers sound and work great and they support AirPlay so you can play your iTunes or iPod music to it wirelessly. Oh and by the way, with our device you can listen to not ONLY music from iTunes but Pandora, Rhapsody and other music services as well!"
Userlevel 2
Yeah and you might have a guest who wants you to hear some music or bring it to a party. AirPlay would make it easy to enjoy on the Sonos system rather than on the crappy speaker of the iPhone/iPod.
Badge
Why? Sonos' mesh architecture, proprietary wireless and synchronization between zones is far superior.

I think he is probably referring to the ability to push what you are currently listening too on your iPhone/iPad/iPod to your sonos system.

I would also love the feature, most days when I get home I am listening to something on my iPhone, the ability to instantly push the music to my home system would be very much appreciated.
Why? Sonos' mesh architecture, proprietary wireless and synchronization between zones is far superior.
Badge
Please add support for Apple's AirPlay.

AirPlay

Second.