AirPlay

• 1 September 2010
  • 209 replies

Userlevel 2
Please add support for Apple's AirPlay.

AirPlay

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

209 replies

Badge
Please add support for Apple's AirPlay.

AirPlay

Second.
Why? Sonos' mesh architecture, proprietary wireless and synchronization between zones is far superior.
Badge
Why? Sonos' mesh architecture, proprietary wireless and synchronization between zones is far superior.

I think he is probably referring to the ability to push what you are currently listening too on your iPhone/iPad/iPod to your sonos system.

I would also love the feature, most days when I get home I am listening to something on my iPhone, the ability to instantly push the music to my home system would be very much appreciated.
Userlevel 2
Yeah and you might have a guest who wants you to hear some music or bring it to a party. AirPlay would make it easy to enjoy on the Sonos system rather than on the crappy speaker of the iPhone/iPod.
Strategically, what would Sonos lose by getting into this game? The Sonos S5, in particular, would make a great AirPlay device, and even at it's current price, it's well positioned to compete at the high-end of the AirPlay speakers market.

Certain to be better than this and its ilk: http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/03/ihome-teases-first-airplay-compatible-portable-speaker-dock/

I think the AirPlay speaker ecosystem is going to be a market opportunity on the scale of iPod/iPhone dock connector speakers or, say, iPhone/iPod covers. A lot of people are going to be buying these things.

Maybe Sonos could, in a sense, co-opt Airplay... "Yes, our wireless speakers sound and work great and they support AirPlay so you can play your iTunes or iPod music to it wirelessly. Oh and by the way, with our device you can listen to not ONLY music from iTunes but Pandora, Rhapsody and other music services as well!"
Userlevel 2
Yes, you wouldn't even need a NAS or server with your music. For some it would be enough to be able to stream from their iOS device
I would also love being able to stream music directly from my iPhone to Sonos. Preferably by sending whatever sound was playing on the iPhone, be that my Spotify app, Rhapsody app or the standard iPod app.
After using it for a few days with iOS 4.2 Beta, my one and only request is full support of AirPlay.

I think it is extremely valuable not only for us users but also for the growth of the Sonos system and brand. Embrace AirPlay, do not fight it by ignoring it. Doing that could prove to be the downfall of Sonos in general.

AirPlay works extremely simple. Any playback of sound or video (and it's associated sound) in iOS can be sent with a single click to an Airplay-ready device.

So imagine you are sitting in your living room, browsing the net on the iPad, listening to music via your Sonos. You see a link to a movie trailer and play it. The iPad speakers are not great, so you simply click on the Airplay icon, select "Sonos Living Room", your Sonos music stops and the trailer's sound uses your sound system. Afterwards, just continue playing your music via Sonos from your music library.

The same situation for bedroom iPad surfing and the sudden urge to watch Netflix - with one click you have the sound via your bedroom Sonos Zone.

And finally, with teenagers in the house who do have some of their music only on their iPod Touch, or iPhone, when they are in their room they can play their music via the Sonos Zone in that room with one click on their Touch and iPhone.

If Sonos can list every Zone as an Airplay device I think this will expand out the usability for iPad and iPhone, and iPod Touch users tremendously. Pretty powerful stuff!

If you have the Beta, a spare Airport express And connect it's audio-out to the line-in of the Sonos Zone, you can try the basic principle and see the potential of Sonos integrates their Zones fully as AirPlay devices.

Comments welcome.

HF
Heywood Floyd,

First post! Welcome to the forums.

As you see I have moved your post. The original thread was not quite appropriate for a discussion because the originator requested simple lists.

With respect to your request, technically I don't think that it is a good idea. The iDevices use WiFi and WiFi is ill suited for streaming audio and video. For AirPlay of video and audio on SONOS, the poor iDevice would need to stream both ways -- incoming video and outgoing audio. I think that this would severely tax the wireless capability of the iDevice. Plus, battery life would become an issue.

I'll vote -1.
Userlevel 2
I've already requested this in another thread in fewer words though

+1

I don't agree about the wifi problem. It's not a reason not to provide the feature for various reasons.

1. might be used in a powered way
2. if airplay of music really killed the battery that fast, why would apple make the feature at all?
3. airplay might be a requirement for some buyers which would make them skip sonos who get left behind
4. batteries and technology gets less power hungry as time goes by. for example iphone 4 has more available than 3gs.
Userlevel 2
Surely the best wireless music solution should include AirPlay compatibility?

+1

I already use 'Play to' with Win7 and even my Nokia phone, this is just Apple's own way of doing it.
Userlevel 2
I think it is extremely valuable not only for us users but also for the growth of the Sonos system and brand. Embrace AirPlay, do not fight it by ignoring it. Doing that could prove to be the downfall of Sonos in general. HF

I agree with Heywood. Not only is this feature useful, but failing to support it in a timely fashion will provide an opening for Sonos competitors.

+1

Eric
I already use 'Play to' with Win7...I'm obligated to point out that it's Apple that is preventing this from happening now, without AirPlay. Sonos can already accept tracks from my uPnP-aware devices like Win 7 PC's, and could index an Apple device if they'd allow it, but there should be nothing stopping Apple from using the same 'Play To' action that Win 7 does.

Well, nothing but their 'our way or the highway' mindset.
Userlevel 2
Strategically, what would Sonos lose by getting into this game? The Sonos S5, in particular, would make a great AirPlay device, and even at it's current price, it's well positioned to compete at the high-end of the AirPlay speakers market.

Certain to be better than this and its ilk: http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/03/ihome-teases-first-airplay-compatible-portable-speaker-dock/

I think the AirPlay speaker ecosystem is going to be a market opportunity on the scale of iPod/iPhone dock connector speakers or, say, iPhone/iPod covers. A lot of people are going to be buying these things.

Maybe Sonos could, in a sense, co-opt Airplay... "Yes, our wireless speakers sound and work great and they support AirPlay so you can play your iTunes or iPod music to it wirelessly. Oh and by the way, with our device you can listen to not ONLY music from iTunes but Pandora, Rhapsody and other music services as well!"

You are on the money my friend.

Hope someone @sonos marketing is reading this!
I also think that Sonos should jump on this bandwagon. Add Airplay as another music option. Not because it is a necessity, but because people will be putting it on their checklists for wireless audio.
Userlevel 2
+1

As a proud new Sonos system owner going into my second week and loving it, I still have to agree with the others, I wrestled with this very decision of Sonos or Apple, I was really bummed that I had to line in my iPhone if I wanted to play something off of it and it almost cost Sonos the sale. Whether you love them or hate them, Apple isn't someone you want to stand in the road in front of.

This would certainly increase sales and help hedge against their (Apple's) encroachment. I would like to see Sonos also license their technology to others like Apple is doing.
Personally I'm not dead against this. I think it won't be used that much, but I think it is a good sales "benefit" to promote to the very many Apple users whose music revolves around iPod/iTunes.

I think many users, once they buy Sonos, will see there's a better way (i.e. use the free iCR app and stream from their PC-based music library, or Napster, Rhapsody, Last.FM, Spotify, Wolfgangs Vault, etc.)

But if the inclusion of this facility encourages users to buy Sonos, I can't see that's a bad thing.

Cheers,

Keith
I agree with Majik. It's a feeder category for Sonos. Once you start streaming tunes, you want to stream more and to more location. I think the social aspects of it would be neat too - "hey, listen to this" from guests. Bring your fave list to a part - BYOM & BYOB.

I kinda see Sonos as the Switzerland of music - play from anywhere! OT and thanks for the Wolfgang's Vault trial. Rocking!
Badge
+1 for Airplay

Haven't used it don't know how it works but I have read about it and can see the potential uses.

However, no one has said that Sonos isn't already working on it so I think the masses might want to relax a little bit. There are few, if any, products available right now that support Airplay. No one has said that Sonos wasn't already aware of Airplay imminent release and hasn't already been working on a solution to update the Sonos software/firmware to accept Airplay.

I understand the desire to push Sonos to release it yesterday, but just like all the other past, "future requests" Wireless dock, S5 which are now being sold and iPad app which is being developed, it's all a matter of time and man-power. IMHO, Airplay on Sonos is inevitable.
Userlevel 2
+1 for Airplay Support ....
Userlevel 2
+1
I know that if it did have that functionality, it would be very very nice for my setup. I know that if Sonos had a good Airplay implementation, I would be purchasing at least another $1500.00 in their hardware almost immediately so that I could take my home system to the next level.
Userlevel 2
Airplay would be cooler than the new iPod/iPhone dock...
Userlevel 2
I don't hope the new dock killed the chance of getting AirPlay support. That would suck big time eventhough I might buy the dock just for charging my phone in the living or bed room 😉
Userlevel 2
Airplay support would be very nice. +1
Userlevel 2
+1 AirPlay

IMHO Many factors make AirPlay a HUGE plus (forgive me if I'm repeating some former arguments)

1) Lot's of specialty music and language apps on the iphone do things that Sonos would never want to do. Musicians, like myself, love iPhone apps for learning music (especially small segments of a song). These apps have great controls for A-B repeat, for playing music back at slower speeds, and for quick skips back at user specified intervals (like 10, 20, 30 seconds). These same apps are very popular for people learning a language or for listening to AudioBooks. I so BADLY want to sit out on my deck with my iphone and listen to these apps with my Sonos system

2) Guests with iPods ("Hey, Listen to this track") . The appendage free approach of AirPlay is so much more desirable than the new wireless Sonos dock.

3) Marketing issues. We DON'T want potential buyers to think: Well gee i love my apple stuff so I better get the fully compatible AirPlay system. We want them to think. Hey I'll get Sonos so I can get iTunes AND AirPlay AND Pandora AND Local Radio

I suspect there's a way for Sonos to do this without adding the (extra cost) hardware to receive 802.11 wireless signals.

Given that Sonos uses a connection to the users LAN or router to get through to the internet (for internet radio, etc), I'm pretty sure they can take an audio stream that has arrived on that LAN from Airplay (arriving via other existing WiFi equipment, such as is currently supporting the iphone Sonos controller) and translate that AirPlay stream to the Sonos streaming protocol for quality wireless distribution to each of the zone players.

I'll bet this can be done with a software upgrade, much like adding any other music service.

Pete