Advice please. Best streaming service for quality playback...

• 5 April 2021
  • 2 replies

Hi, I have a SONOS amp with 4 Monitor Audio C165 speakers connected. Prior to getting this setup in February 2021 I used Spotify premium, however I realised that Tidal appeared to offer consistently higher quality audio and even master files of some songs. In my naivety I signed up for their highest package thinking it would give me the best quality(not considering whether human ears can pick up on the differences between the higher quality files). Since researching the subject this last week, it seems clear that SONOS cannot reproduce the rates required for the master files. In short, my question to more experienced SONOS users and technophiles, is what streaming service is most suitable for wireless playback through the SONOS app?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Trust your own ears, if you can’t hear a difference don’t pay for a “premium” service.

In short, my question to more experienced SONOS users and technophiles, is what streaming service is most suitable for wireless playback through the SONOS app?

There is a lot of hype about hires. I did a test between differing MP3 bit-rates and ripped CD files in FLAC format (i.e. down converting the same track). This was using a ZP90 into my receiver and KEF floor standing speakers.

Although the difference with lower bit-rates was easily discernable, I could not tell the difference between CD quality and 320kbps MP3 files - and this was using a track that I’ve used as my test track for years.

So, my view is not to bother with anything more than a 320kbps MP3.