Answered

Advice on playing the sound of an app through sonos (Hypnosis App)

• 9 January 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi,

Is there anyway I can play the sound of a hypnosis app on my iPad or Android through sonos?

I listen to these apps to get to sleep and would love to transfer the sound to come from my sonos one.

The sound is only available thought an app created by Surf City and the particular one I like to listen to is not available in an MP3 - which would solve everything.

Is there anyway around this - I love sonos but I wish it was a little less difficult to do basic things like this.

Thanks 😃
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 9 January 2018, 22:45

Oh, absolutely it should work with the PLAY:5 gen 1. There's a line-in on the back of it. You'd want to connect a "headphone" style cable from your phone's headphone jack, to the line in on the back of the PLAY:5. In fact, I think it's covered here:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1091/~/using-line-in-on-sonos

Just make sure that the volume on your phone is up enough to give the PLAY:5 a good signal.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Not with just a Sonos One, currently. You would need one of the Sonos devices that has a line-in on it, either a PLAY:5 or a CONNECT.

That being said, Sonos has indicated that they're working on AirPlay 2 to be released this year, so perhaps after that is released, you could 'cast' from an Apple phone. They haven't been very specific as to how it will work, so that's completely a speculative statement, until they release more information.
Thank you very much for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate it, I have the slightly older play 5 - would it work through that at all?

I feel tempted to return the sonos one now and just get a decent bluetooth speaker 😞
Oh, absolutely it should work with the PLAY:5 gen 1. There's a line-in on the back of it. You'd want to connect a "headphone" style cable from your phone's headphone jack, to the line in on the back of the PLAY:5. In fact, I think it's covered here:

https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1091/~/using-line-in-on-sonos

Just make sure that the volume on your phone is up enough to give the PLAY:5 a good signal.
Brilliant! Thanks Bruce! You're a super star!! 😃 😃
Laugh. You're most welcome!

And I should have been a tad more specific. It's either PLAY:5, not just the first gen one.