Answered

Adding music stored locally on my iPad to Sonos iPad app Music Library

• 7 April 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge
  • Trending Lyricist I
  • 13 replies

I have all my music stored locally on my iPad for when I travel. I have a mobile router WiFi that I use in the van for network and internet. My phone, iPad and 2 Sonos Roams are connected to this network. I can use the iPad Music app and stream music from it to the Roams via Airplay, but I notice that when I am doing this and I open the Sonos app, it shows what’s playing and let’s me control volume, EQ settings, pause etc. But when I go to look for another album etc, I have to go back to the iPad Music app. Is there a way to add the music stored locally on the app directly to the Sonos app? I could then utilise the Sonos app via the network, rather than Airplay and have full control (using Airplay, I can’t adjust volume separately for each speaker etc.). I tried adding a source from Music Library settings in Sonos app, but it wants a network path that I have no idea what to put there for access to the iPad. Thanks for any advice.
BTW, those little Roam speakers are sensational, the best I’ve heard for the size and price point. I should also add that yes, I am a massive Sonos fan having been with them since the early days, and think I’m pretty good with setting up different systems using NAS’s etc.) but this one has me stumped! 

icon

Best answer by buzz 7 April 2022, 03:31

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

The SONOS App cannot store anything. The iPad is using Airplay 2 to send directly to the SONOS player.

If your router supports it, you could store music on a USB stick plugged into the router, then use the SONOS App to control the player. Once the controller initiates play, the iPad can be shut down because the player will be fetching its own music from the USB stick.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Thanks buzz, yes my router does have both a usb and SD card for storing files. However, it only seems to allow me to use its own app to access them, and then plays only on the device that’s got the app installed. The router is a Netgear M1 M1100. Great router and it’s why I bought it thinking I could also use it as a NAS, but that music app is useless. Very frustrating. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

This may help..

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Mobile-Routers-Hotspots-Modems/Netgear-Nighthawk-MR1100-M1-NAS-storage-problem/td-p/1375141

Looks like it is possible to share to Sonos

John