Add WhisperSync for Audible to the Sonos system

• 10 September 2012
  • 30 replies

Badge
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 13 replies
Now that WhisperSync has been added to Audible (to allow sync of 'last listened' position across devices, are there any plans to incorporate that ability into the Sonos system?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Userlevel 3
Hello Dr. Mom, There are currently no immediate plans to implement WhisperSync although that does not mean plans won't change in the future. Please check back for any status change. Thanks Mike
Userlevel 1
Hi Just discovered whispersync a few weeks ago. Using audible app on my phone in the car and on a nexus 7 when going to sleep. Its quite awesome resuming where I stopped on the other device. Would *love* being able to listening to my audible books on my Sonos with whispersync too. Please consider 🙂
Userlevel 1
This would be a much better service if we could include WhisperSync. I find it really frustrating to have to start a book on my mobile only to find that my Sonos does not have the position synced. I have to scroll through and find the right place and then do the same when I switch back to my mobile. Adding sync would make the Audible experience much more enjoyable.
Actually, just allowing Sonos to have Airplay would solve for this problem. Sonos probably doesn't want to pay Apple the royalties for Airplay like all the component players (Pioneer, Marantz, Yamaha, etc) do to add this feature.
Userlevel 1
@Scott Actually, that's not the quite same thing. I do have an Airplay setup through an Airport Express. But hardly uses it as I like to have my controls of my sound system accessible when grabbing the nearest controller. Also, some people DO use Android both as a phone and for audible. 🙂
@Niels While I agree about people using Android, I actually have an Galaxy Nexus for work and an iPhone 4s personal, there is such a huge iOS population (iPhones, iTouch, iPad) that it really makes sense. My wife and kids all have iPads, and it would be so nice to be able to push play in the Audible app and listen to it over a quality speaker. Right now they have to grab the Bose BT Soundlink and do it. Again the key is being able to use WhisperSync. There is such a huge percentage of the Android population that only uses it as a phone that it wouldnt really be alienating that crowd.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I would love this feature! Since Sonos is playing an audible book directly from a file and not going through an Audible app, syncing is probably not straight forward. Bruce
Userlevel 1
I listen to audiobooks all the time, and would love to be able to play them via my Sonos setup. I know that it is possible to play the file via Sonos, but - as already stated, Sonos have no idea where to start off. As a result, I dont use Sonos and audiobooks. The setup would be perfect though, being able to listen throughout the house to the same audiobook. I am however aware that a solution might not be straightforward 🙂
Definitely would a be great addition to Sonos.
Userlevel 3
Badge
I don't listen to Audible on my Sonos either. No syncing and it is a hassle to download the books in itunes. The Audible App on my Android phone is great.
I would like this feature. I would listen to it all the time on my Sonos system. I rarely use the workaround, which is plugging my iPhone into Play:5 aux cable. Most of the benefit of both Sonos audible is the seamless ease of use. I hope this feature is reviewed soon!
Userlevel 1
I would like this feature. Sonos -- please tell Audible / Amazon how many more books we would all buy if we could listen to these books on Sonos.
Audible should be an integrated audio source similar to Sportify, Rhapsody, SiriusXM, etc.  It would be terrific to have the ability to control the Audible book (pause, back 10 secons, etc) from within Sonos.  The manual nature of the workaround is too cumbersome for me to deal with the way it works today.  Please integrate Audible into the Sonos infrastructure!
The difference in our adding a Sonos in other rooms within our home has singularly been the inability to have Audible app fully synchronized with Sonos.  We hadn't realized this at the time we purchased the bridge and speakers we do own.  We've not purchased any more from Sonos since discovering the incompatibility with Audible.  Further, we cautioned all our family members who enjoy Audible not to purchase Sonos system since discovering the incompatibility.  The moment compatibility, inclusive of Whisper-sync, is completed, we will buy more speakers and an additional full system with multiple speakers for our vacation home.  Until then, we may mildly disappointed in the system that has so much potential to be great.
Same, I wanted to have speakers all over the house. Now I have 1 sonos and I bought a nice Bluetooth speaker to listen to audible on.
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Audible and SONOS - lack of integration, e.g. Whisper Sync. It appears the only way to listen to an Audible book is to download the book into your iTunes library and without the functionality of Whisper-Sync.  Having Whisper-synch is a critical feature to listening to a book as one almost always listens across a multiple days and therefore through different devices, e.g. vehicle, home audio and computer.

The difference in our adding a Sonos in other rooms has singularly been the inability to have Audible app fully synchronized with Sonos.  We hadn't realized this at the time we purchased the bridge and speakers we do own, seeing Audible listed as compatible but without the disclaimer of functionality.  We've not purchased any additional items from Sonos since discovering the incompatibility with Audible.  The moment compatibility, inclusive of Whisper-sync, is completed, we will buy more speakers and an additional full system with multiple speakers for our vacation home.  Until then, we remain mildly disappointed in the system.
The addition of Apple's AirPlay as a feature set to Sonos would solve every problem.

With AirPlay, you could stream an Audible book (or any other audio source) directly from an iOS device to Sonos.

This is an obvious problem with Sonos.  Thus far, Sonos is silent on the addition of AirPlay streaming audio from Apple devices.
Userlevel 3
Badge
The addition of Apple's AirPlay as a feature set to Sonos would solve every problem.

With AirPlay, you could stream an Audible book (or any other audio source) directly from an iOS device to Sonos.

This is an obvious problem with Sonos.  Thus far, Sonos is silent on the addition of AirPlay streaming audio from Apple devices.

Doesn't help Android users.

Not natively, but due to Android's open platform, quite a few AirPlay enabled apps are available.  Totally doable.

See:  
http://www.knowyourmobile.com/android-apps/18049/best-airplay-apps-android-gettin-dream-stream 
or 
http://gizmodo.com/how-to-stream-anything-from-android-to-airplay-1578516449
Userlevel 1

+1. I vote that Sonos add native Whispersync support. None of the workarounds suggested are acceptable. Just add support, please!
Agreed. Adding Whispersync would complete the Sonos experience for me!
Userlevel 3
+1...add whispersync...pretty please!
3 years and still no sign of this. I have to say i love my sonos system and have many speakers, but this is a glaring hole in functionality. I wish my premium device could do premium audio book streaming properly....
Audible as a true sonos service would be awesome. I'm currently evaluating a Sonos system and comparing it to Denons HEOS. The lack of Spotify Connect on Sonos would be offset with an Audible integration with Whispersync. I actually use to listen way more to audiobooks rather than music.
Userlevel 1
Hello Dr. Mom, There are currently no immediate plans to implement WhisperSync although that does not mean plans won't change in the future. Please check back for any status change. Thanks Mike
Hi Mike,

It's been 3 years since your post in this idea and several more people have expressed interest in seeing Sonos add true WhisperSync functionality for Audible.

Are their any indications Sonos will be reacting to this feedback and adding this functionality at some point?