Add support for ARTIST ART in Music Library

Userlevel 2
Going to Library--> Artists--> (artist name) Info & Options: There is an empty frame for artist art that remains empty even when there is a folder.jpg image file in the artist folder next to albums. Music://Artist #1://Album #1 Album #2 Album #3 folder.jpg Can you please add support for this frame to accept the artist art file?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

12 replies

Is this being progressed?  The same functionality is in iTunes.  
Surely this must be a simple one - why have blank frames present if there is no way to load content into them???
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Surely this must be a simple one - why have blank frames present if there is no way to load content into them???

Yeah I have been confused by this for years! Why bother with a blank icon if it cant be changed.

I also would like this functionality! 🙂
Just want to second this feature request. As a recent convert to Sonos it's a glaring omission and makes the UI look uglier than it should be.

Recently I've written a script that grabs the artwork from an artist's most recent album, by scanning the tracks, and places it as a "poster.jpg" file in the artist's folder. This works nicely for Plex and it's a shame that Sonos doesn't pick it up too.
What happens when you have an artist with multiple albums, which artwork from which album is it supposed to pick up?
Well my suggestion was that Sonos update their app to read a "poster.jpg" file in the Artist folder, so whatever you put there would get picked up and displayed as artist artwork.

But if you are asking what my script does to generates these files, then as I said above it picks the most recent album artwork.

I find this works pretty well in Plex and see no reason why it wouldn't work just as well in Sonos.
Badge
I'll add my vote here. Its pretty lame to have your favorite list with artwork - except for artists. Grab the first album as a representative or go all out and let the user pick which album artwork to use... either way should be there. Love sonos but this seems like a weird non-feature.
Personally speaking I'd rather they just dropped the artwork placeholder in the artist list completely and fit more names on each page, I don't spend enough time in that list for it to be important.
Depends what platform it is - I wouldn't want the row height for the artists list to be any smaller than it is on the iOS phone version for example....it's already small enough.
Badge
Agreed; I'd love if an artist-level folder.jpg image were preferred with a fallback to the first album cover. Then customers who want to customize have the ability to do so, but everyone gets the benefit of the first-album-default for free.
Totally agree that artist art should be displayed natively... Look and feel is very poor otherwise.
But there is a work-around for users using Plex Media Server : activate the Plex music service and browse your library through Plex - you'll see that artist arts are automatically downloaded (just like in iTunes for example) and visible in Sonos

Badge
Totally agree that artist art should be displayed natively... Look and feel is very poor otherwise.
But there is a work-around for users using Plex Media Server : activate the Plex music service and browse your library through Plex - you'll see that artist arts are automatically downloaded (just like in iTunes for example) and visible in Sonos

Greedal, thanks. Never thought of browsing via Plex, works perfectly!