Answered

Add Live Phish as a Music Service on Sonos - livephish.com

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

251 replies

Badge
Guys, I have forwarded all ur comments and posts to tela@livephish.com. Continue to do the same until we get this done. Livephish currently has no response on this. It appears they are responsible for this not happening. I'm not sure sonos will push them. I call them everyday, and will continue to until this is done.
Guys, I have forwarded all ur comments and posts to tela@livephish.com. Continue to do the same until we get this done. Livephish currently has no response on this. It appears they are responsible for this not happening. I'm not sure sonos will push them. I call them everyday, and will continue to until this is done.
Just emailed her too. We gotta get this done!!!!!
Here's my email to tela@livephush.com: I felt a bit insulted that the LivePhish App was made for listening to Phish while using a "device", implying the customer is doing other things. I would like to subscribe to livephish plus and have wanted to ever since it came out, but I need to be able to play it loud and have it sound good. Preferably I would like it to fill my house. Please make this possible by hooking up with Sonos, and allowing the wonderful sound experiences of both Phish and Sonos to complement each other. I don't want to listen to entire shows on my phone. Phish of all entities knows what being in the moment is like, and listening to music on my computer or phone is not a primary or even secondary level of listening that I enjoy for their music. It is chirpy and chopped of range and merely for convenience, not enthrallment. Please make the Phish catalogue (livephish+) a subscription option for Sonos and give us good listeners something to rave about. Music is the best.
Well said Maura. I'm going to send an email daily. If we all do that, they will have to address the issue. I believe this is the only way to get this done.
We can contact them on Twitter/Facebook as well. More people will get on board with us as well.
While I don't disagree that you should not have to install airsonos, why wouldn't you?  It's a simple install and it allows me to fill my house with the wonderful sounds of LivePhish through my Sonos devices.  Even if and when LivePhish is coded with the api to send to my Sonos devices, there will always be another platform that I would like to listen to music that doesn't work.  Airsonos provides that work around so that I can enjoy what I want to now.  Just a thought.
I also think we should get in with PhishOD and see if we can get him to utilize the API to bring in our Sonos devices.
Userlevel 2
because I'm not a programmer and none of that mumbo-jumbo makes any sense at all to me. I'm $2k into sonos and would like to not have to learn coding and programming to listen to music. some of have our limitations, lol. 
Badge
Agreed. Sonos and livephish have to connect. Still not rely from livephish. Very disappointing. We might as well all cxl our subscriptions. No use in having if we can't listen to over our home music systems.
Can you download and install something on your computer?  Can you copy and paste from a step by step walk through?  You don't need to be a programmer to do either of those and that was all that was required, if you have a Mac, to get airsonos installed.  If you don't want to try that, you can go ahead and wait for LivePhish or Sonos to team up.  Based on the Sonos reply, that process hasn't even started yet.

On another note, you spent $2k on a system that you knew couldn't work with LivePhish.  It was never listed as being included and you still made the decision to buy and install your Sonos system.  Expecting it to change for you because you've invested $2k and you see that 158 people want it is your choice but I chose to learn how to follow some simple steps that I did not create.  I'd be more than happy to help you install and use airsonos.  I could probably put some screen shots together if you would like.
Yes please!

I tried to install AirSonos on my iMac before when it came up in this forum, but failed.

Thanks JP!
Userlevel 2
thanks for the offer of help JP, and i'm not waiting on them. I'm all set with my play 5, it''s just line in and go.  I would just like the functionality going forward that this thread has opened up the possibility of. i didn't start the thread, Sonos did. I never said i expect it to change for me because i've invested in it. Don't put put my words into a different context. I don't have a mac and as you've stated you can only speak from that standpoint. 
Mac walkthrough instructions:

If I can grab my wife's PC, I'll try to create a walkthrough for a Windows machine as well.  I don't have anything with Linux or Raspberry Pi so I can't help on those two.  Let me know if you have any questions about the Mac version.

Mac Version:  https://www.mediafire.com/?b9l8p9bapdwrznk
Userlevel 1
I have installed airsonos, but the fact remains that Sonos could easily allow this with a firmware update but refuse to do so.  I shouldn't need a 3rd party developer to open up this option on any device that is capable of allowing this.  Also, keeping Terminal open 24/7 kind of sucks...

It's a simple update that Sonos refuses to allow...why?  Because they want you to use their shitty interface and only the products they partner with. 
Sonos does not "refuse to allow" any music service. Any music service who wants to can access the Sonos API and get on Sonos, it is stated right in the Sonos Music Partners sign up page (and by the way, it doesn't require a firmware update):

http://www.sonos.com/support

Who can play: Any music service, anywhere in the world.

In a nutshell: It’s easy to integrate using the Sonos Music API – and it’s free!

How it works: Do it all online, in 3 easy steps:

1. Register as a Sonos Music Partner.
  2. Access the Sonos Music API, Technical Documentation & Tools Suite.
  3. Develop & Submit to Sonos for Review.
Nice work Jgatie. We have to get this to Tela and let our voices be heard.
Badge
What does everyone mean with "keeping the terminal open"? So on a desktop pc you have to keep monitor on? Or monitor off is ok with computer on?
Badge
Seems we are clearly missing the real reason why livephish doesn't want on sonos. If they did it would be on sonos already. Do they feel it's too streamline for them to offer their product ? No cost involved, it wouldn't only add users, agreed? What are we missing since they will not communicate with us?
Badge
This is beyond frustrating. I'm trying to download airsonos but can't get past the create folder part. I thought I was somewhat tech savvy, but I guess not. I feel like the user/app folder is hidden, there is no app folder within my username? I also can't find unzip option, but I don't think I have to because I can see cmd file? Thanks sonos and livephish. Glad I spent all this money on this system to only attempt to re-write the software so I can actually use.
This is beyond frustrating. I'm trying to download airsonos but can't get past the create folder part. I thought I was somewhat tech savvy, but I guess not. I feel like the user/app folder is hidden, there is no app folder within my username? I also can't find unzip option, but I don't think I have to because I can see cmd file? Thanks sonos and livephish. Glad I spent all this money on this system to only attempt to re-write the software so I can actually use.
I had the same problem on Mac. I downloaded the file but can't find how to "Launch Terminal on Mac", whatever that means...
You didn't have the same problem on Mac.  His problem is very specific to the fact that Windows install is a little more complicated.  If I can get a walkthrough created for Windows tonight, I'll attach it but as of this point, haven't had time.  

"Launch Terminal on Mac" means that you need to open the App called Terminal on your Mac.  The easiest way to explain to you how to open it is to click on the Search button in the upper right corner of your mac (the magnify glass).  Type in "Terminal" and press enter and the Terminal app will open.
I guess this is why Phish needn't lift a finger -- no one minds having their computer on all the time just to listen and dance to their music. That concept was what I meant to avoid via Sonos and it is really great most of the time. Using the line in from a phone feels kinda ball-and-chainy.
Badge
Thank you JP! Much appreciated
Badge
I've emailed the CEO at Sonos. We need feedback with substance. We can't accept these generic responses making us believe this is happening when it might not be. It's not fair. We deserve the truth from both parties. I'm still furious that a sonos employee initiated this thread to make us believe this is in development. It's just wrong.
Thanks JP, still trying.  I type Terminal in the search box and an "app" opens called terminal that looks like DOS and says "bash - 80x24" and doesn't allow me to type anything and doesn't have a "sudo nom install -g n" link or icon to "run"...