Add Aux to Sonos Using Raspberry Pi

Userlevel 1
Badge
I just published an Instructable showing how to add an aux line-in to Sonos using a Raspberry Pi. I use it primarily to listen to an over-the-air radio station that's not available online but it is perfect for adding a turntable to Sonos...

https://www.instructables.com/id/Add-Aux-to-Sonos-Using-Raspberry-Pi/

11 replies

Badge
Interesting that nobody jumped on this so far.... I think this is one of the big gaps (or Sonos policy ?!!?) not to provide a line-in on other speakers than the play5 ....
This is a great project. i am not too experienced on the raspbery pi but would love to do this.
anybody else with some experience who can encourage me to start it :D
Badge
It looks very well documented. Guess I ll give it a try and get back :cool:
Badge
I am decided and about to start :cool:
would like to skip the special kabel and use another usb-audio-converter (half the price) than the Behringer one.
https://www.amazon.de/UGREEN-Externe-Soundkarte-Adapter-Klinke-Buchse/dp/B06XP5R449/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1510419361&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=USB+audio+interface&psc=1
Do you think this would work as well; how can I fiind this out without just trying ?
Userlevel 1
Badge
I'm glad you're doing this! I bought the Raspberry Pi thinking it would be something I could tinker around with for a few weeks but of course as most of my projects go after one all-nighter I had it all figured out. lol BTW, that USB adapter you linked only has microphone mono sound input. There are very few USB external sound cards with stereo line inputs.
Badge
Well, I am afraid one night will not do :P. I am a noob.
Started to collect the HW. Keep fingers crossed. I'll get back :cool:
Badge
Thanks for this great tutorial. Works absolutely flawless!

I love Sonos but the only thing that ever made trouble have been the Line-In devices (all of them!) when using multiroom. The Sonos Connect is the worst of all, it produces a lot of dropouts, no matter what settings/channels/boost/WiFi/...

Of course there are a lot of WiFis in the neighbourhood, I live in the middle of a big city. Sonos always blames those WiFis for dropouts but the truth is that their LineIn implementation/encoder are really bad. The Playbar won't admit a buffer/delay, even though I would be totally ok with it when only listening to music. The Connect has the poorest WiFi signal of all Sonos products (besides being totally overpriced). The best one is the Play:5 (V2) concerning the LineIn, but even with that one there are dropouts from time to time. I'm using an Enterpirse WiFi Router (Ubiquiti UniFi) which is able to transfer constantly >10 MB/s (on 5GHz). I don't have a single problem with anything, AirPlay, streaming Netflix @4k, etc. It tried everything which is advised, different WiFi channels, a boost setup (Mesh), the Sonos Boost, etc.

With your solution using the Behringer external soundcard on a Raspberry Pi (3), there is not a single dropout, even when playing multiroom to 7 speakers! Eat this, Sonos! Sound quality is also brilliant (depending on the input of course). I'm now able to stream DVB radio channels @320 kpbs (via cable tv) - compared to the internet stations - most of which are only available as 128 kbps streams.

I would totally recommend to put a little tool named AirConnect on the Raspberry Pi as well! It's a brilliant app from @Philippe44 who is also active here. It runs in the background, detects all your Sonos players and offers them as AirPlay target on all your Apple/iOS devices. It automatically detects groups,stereo sets, surround setups and offers only the coordinator or the whole group (if existing). And guess what? Absolutely no dropouts - which I never managed to achieve when using an AirPort Express on a Line-In Sonos device!
https://github.com/philippe44/AirConnect
Userlevel 6
Badge +3
I second the recommendation for AirConnect.
How is the delay between the input/output?

Is this suitable for watching a video for example, or would it be too out of sync?
Thanks a lot for this excellent guide! I set it up three weeks ago and it is working perfectly since then. My only "problem" is that 1.5 second of delay between the real source (in my case a turntable) and the Sonos system what makes imposible to play multiroom using the Sonos speakers and my Hi-Fi system. Any suggestion?
Userlevel 7
Badge +4
Nice instruction video. I assume Icecast could be used on windows computer as well for those wanting to get better sound from windows vs. something like the lower quality of streamwhatyouhear.
CoffeeHolic wrote:

How is the delay between the input/output?

Is this suitable for watching a video for example, or would it be too out of sync?

In my case 1.5 sec as I said in my previous post

• :D
    • :?
    • :cool:
    • :S
    • :(
    • :@
    • :$
    • :8
    • :)
    • :P
    • ;)

Cookie policy

We use cookies to enhance and personalize your experience. If you accept you agree to our full cookie policy. Learn more about our cookies.

Accept cookies Cookie settings