Answered

Accessing My Home Music Library from a different Sonos network

• 21 April 2017
  • 8 replies

Is there any way to access my music library while I'm connected to a Sonos network in someone else's home? I know that I can get to the drive (connected to my router) when I'm on a computer elsewhere, but can I get to it using the controller on my phone?
icon

Best answer by Chris 21 April 2017, 17:36

https://www.plex.tv/apps/streaming-devices/sonos/
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Well

#1 - if it were on your phone
#2 - bring an NAS drive with you (not that crazy an idea there are plenty of small ones and then just plug in the friend router)
#3 - you can upload your library to services like Google Music and Amazon Music folders that then you can setup to access other locations
#4 - I think if you use plex server software it will allow you to pull your music outside the home.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
https://www.plex.tv/apps/streaming-devices/sonos/
Thanks for the ideas - I'll look into them. Having a second NAS drive is actually a pretty good idea based on how much music there is....
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
you say you can see your drive on your router from friends house. How are you accessing it.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
And its always good having a nice backup too.
I have a WD cloud NAS drive that I can access through their site/software.
So I figured out how to access my NAS from my phone (through the WD cloud app) and can play the music through my phone. However, I still haven't figured out how to set up a share in my library that accesses the NAS. The path seems like it would be the same as when I am at my house, but there needs to be a way to get to my home router....or something....
Link your home NAS to your Plex account and then link your plex account to your friend's Sonos system - bingo