24/48 being converted to 44.1kHz.

• 27 August 2020
  • 9 replies

Most of my music library is in 16/44.1 Redbook and streams fine to my Ones and my Port.  No probs there.  However, I also have a few 24/96 files and since S2 can now do 24/48, I down-sampled those files to 24/48 and they stream fine from my Win10 PC to my Port.  However, the DAC I have the Port connected to indicates the music is 44.1kHz, rather than 48kHz. 

The files are clearly 24/48 and they’re playing OK, but I’m interested to know why they’re showing as 44.1 on my DAC.  The Port wouldn’t further down-sample from 48 to 44.1 for any reason would it?  Or is my DAC maybe wrong?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +16

Hi @Earbanean, Thank you for reaching out and welcome to the community. Thanks for bringing this up and we understand where you're coming from. Regarding your concern about supported bit depth. It’s only 24 bit (44.1kHz/48kHz, FLACC/ALAC) for Music Library and 16 bit for Music streaming. 

Let us know how you get on with the advice above.

We're here to answer any further questions you have.

The OP didn't ask about bit depth. They asked whether there's a sample rate conversion from the file's 48kHz before output through the Port's S/PDIF, as their DAC is reporting the signal as 44.1kHz.  

Update: @Earbanean I just checked with a 24/48 FLAC file and my DAC also shows 44.1, so it does appear that Sonos always converts to the native internal rate of 44.1. Indeed the DAC shows 44.1 at all times, even when the player is idle.

Yeah, exactly. @Simon B you didn’t really answer my question.  i.e. if 48kHz is now supported, then why are 24/48 files being converted to 44.1kHz?

Interestingly, even on Fixed Volume a 48kHz file evidently emerges from the S/PDIF at 44.1kHz. It rather begs the question as to whether such files can claim to be reproduced in a bit-perfect fashion.

Makes you think that the 24 bit is being converted to 16 bit as well.  i.e. 24/48 is being converted to 16/44.1.

Makes you think that the 24 bit is being converted to 16 bit as well.  i.e. 24/48 is being converted to 16/44.1.

That doesn’t follow. Bit depth and sampling rate are quite separate.

The digital output has always been 24-bit, to allow for the volume to be reduced without truncation of the 16-bit information (at least until the volume level gets down to -48dB).

I just replaced an old Connect with a Port and my DAC is showing 44.1kHz on files that are 24/48kHz as well when connected over the digital coax output. I am using the fixed line output setting on ALAC files in my local music library. Any ideas what may be going on here?

I just replaced an old Connect with a Port and my DAC is showing 44.1kHz on files that are 24/48kHz as well when connected over the digital coax output. I am using the fixed line output setting on ALAC files in my local music library. Any ideas what may be going on here?

It appears 48kHz is only supported over the USB interface of my DAC, which I am not using. Will try the Port on another system to ensure the files are playing at 48kHz soon.

Badge

This is silly at this point and why I will likely leave for B&O.

I get it, I do, some people cannot handle the streaming rates of HD+ audio, but a lot of us can. Why not let the individual decide which sample rate they want the stream to play. My connection can support 24/48, therefore I want that option. For months people have been posting a variant of this conversation and we get a similar answer every time.