Answered

'You're better than this' Event June 6

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
so today is the latest Sonos event. Sadly it wont be live streamed. The 'teaser' image attached

Any further speculation what it will be
  • New voice enabled Home Theatre device
  • More on Airplay2
  • More on 'Works on Sonos'
  • New Desktop app ?
  • Something else completely ?
icon

Best answer by Ryan S 6 June 2018, 18:49

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

57 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +17
No line in?
No Dolby Digital+?
No DTS?
What else?

Indeed rather disappointing!
What are they thinking not supporting the newer codecs ?
Would have been great if this could also be a center speaker with additional left/right but that’s not supported either.
Really looks like they were trying to hit a certain price point so kept things to a minimum to meet that price.
Personally I would rather pay more for more features.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
What a joke of a product launch! Looks like Sonos is betting the farm that voice control needs to be on every speaker and worrrying worrying far about being left behind in the movie media streaming world. Got a new 4k tv and Apple Tv or UHD Disk player? Cool.... but if you depend on sonos you’ll be stuck with last centuary audio streams!!! This is just mind boggling. Seriously regretting spending so much money on their kit. Whilst I love it for music, and it is really very good. Going to have to ditch the 5.1 setup in the lounge now 😠
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
No mention of what audio codecs it supports? I'm guessing that does not bode well.

Who is this product for?

edit: just saw on the product page "Sonos Beam plays audio from PCM stereo, Dolby Digital and Dolby Digital 5.1 sources. These are the most popular audio formats for streaming video on demand and watching TV. "

In addition you cannot pair individual front-speakers. This is an absolute waste of a product launch.
Userlevel 7
Badge +15
If this really is 'the' announcement it's hilarious. Is the codec support following?
I's almost just a centre channel!
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
HDMI ARC yes, but DTS no? Really??????
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Sonos you have lost my trust and patience

Frankly it takes quite a bit of patience to read these melodramatic posts. Look here.......companies make a choice of what they want to be and who they want to serve. Sonos’ North Star is home audio for MUSIC OK...........MUSIC!!!!!!

Yes they offer Home theatre soltutions that play along nicely within the framework of their multitoom system. They are not here to serve hard core home theatre enthusiasts or ppl like me who want cheap and cheerful HT solutions. They are meant for Music lovers who want a simple setup HT solution that they can also have music integrated. I personally wouldn’t pay 699 for a piece of HT kit. So I bought an inexpensive Vizio 2.1 system for my master bedroom. I didn’t come on here ranting and raving about a breakdown in trust because they didn’t offer an HT solution that suits me. They are a music audio company first and they continue to do that pretty well.

Actually if they came out with the beam 1 year and a half ago I would have bought it no doubt. The price is just about as far as I would pay for HT gear.

So stop looking for the latest and greatest cutting edge HT solutions from them. They aren’t here for that.

Nothing is wrong with looking elsewhere. Jeez!!!!
Userlevel 1
Badge
I was really hoping for an updated playbar. Really disappointing. Oh Well. Ill blow my money on something else now.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
No line in?
No Dolby Digital+?
No DTS?
What else?
Userlevel 1
Badge
New Playbar is coming..... Places are already putting out information it looks like.

https://zatznotfunny.com/2018-06/the-new-sonos-smart-soundbar-with-hdmi/
Userlevel 1
Badge
I sure hope they do something with AirPlay2 on not just the 3 devices right now.
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
Airplay 2 July software update
Badge
Well that was a disappointment. I have no interest in voice integration and the one new speaker that was introduced was a tiny soundbar. 😕
Userlevel 1
Badge
Sonos Beam is a more compact speaker and can fit almost anywhere. Playbar and Playbase have more speakers, so they produce louder sound with more width and bass. Beam is perfect for small to mid-sized rooms, whereas Playbar and Playbase are capable of filling large spaces.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great discussion everyone, I just posted the public announcement for the Beam here if you want to get some more information.
Userlevel 1
Badge +6
Nothing more than an unverified rumour.

Not true, they said it in the conference.

For wich product update will be available? also Playbar?

Thanks
Userlevel 1
Badge
I am going to believe just the 3 already posted out there. Sonos One, PLaybase, Play 5 gen 2. Which really urks me. I asked them before I bought more speakers and they told me it would be on all the speakers.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
There are some hardware requirements to running Airplay 2 that are only met by Sonos One, Playbase, and Play:5 gen2. Beam is also included in that list now too.

You are also able to group any of those players that's playing the Airplay 2 signal with older Sonos players and the audio will play on all of them. But it takes one of those newer ones to start with as a target for the Airplay 2 signal.
Nothing more than an unverified rumour.

Not true, they said it in the conference.

Ah, thanks. Hopefully Sonos will meet the deadline then.
Userlevel 1
Badge
There are some hardware requirements to running Airplay 2 that are only met by Sonos One, Playbase, and Play:5 gen2. Beam is also included in that list now too.

You are also able to group any of those players that's playing the Airplay 2 signal with older Sonos players and the audio will play on all of them. But it takes one of those newer ones to start with as a target for the Airplay 2 signal.

My issue though is being told on this site all along that AirPlay2 was going to work across all speakers. That is what really bothers me.
Userlevel 1
Badge
No line in?
No Dolby Digital+?
No DTS?
What else?

Indeed rather disappointing!
What are they thinking not supporting the newer codecs ?
Would have been great if this could also be a center speaker with additional left/right but that’s not supported either.
Really looks like they were trying to hit a certain price point so kept things to a minimum to meet that price.
Personally I would rather pay more for more features.

You can pair the beam with other speakers!!
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
My issue though is being told on this site all along that AirPlay2 was going to work across all speakers. That is what really bothers me.
Understood, and I'm sorry you get the wrong info, it shouldn't have been out there. To begin with, we weren't sharing much around Airplay 2, just that it was coming. While under development, especially early on, we don't want to give out incorrect information so we usually err on the side of not saying much at all. If there's anywhere that says "all speakers" let me know and I'm happy to make sure it's clarified.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Understood, and I'm sorry you get the wrong info, it shouldn't have been out there. To begin with, we weren't sharing much around Airplay 2, just that it was coming. While under development, especially early on, we don't want to give out incorrect information so we usually err on the side of not saying much at all. If there's anywhere that says "all speakers" let me know and I'm happy to make sure it's clarified.

Its all removed now. I sent a somewhat nasty email and I apologized for it, but It still urks me that they would not even give out a discount to purchase other speakers for proven the inaccuracy's.
Userlevel 1
Badge +5
Is the HDMI port 2.1? If not is it possible to future proof it so it could be upgraded to 2.1?
Userlevel 3
Badge +3
It is official airplay 2 update coming July
see link from sonos official twitter account below
https://twitter.com/Sonos/status/1004398633758781440
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Is the HDMI port 2.1? If not is it possible to future proof it so it could be upgraded to 2.1?
Unknown if it's 2.1... that wasn't mentioned. It's been said that HDMI 2.0 can be firmware-updated to support some features of 2.1, including eARC... so it might be possible to update it to support eARC in the future if it's not HDMI 2.1.