Answered

Worth Upgrading with wireless speakers?

• 26 January 2018
  • 5 replies

Badge
I have read a lot recently about wireless speakers and whether they are worth having a decent turntable set-up as the sound still has to be compressed. My question is this: I have a Rega Planar 1 turntable, a Rega Fono Mini preamp, Sonos Connect, with the sound coming through a Playbar, 2 Play 3s and a Sub. I am not looking to purchase some separate speakers for the turntable set-up but is it still worth upgrading the preamp? And is it worth upgrading the turntable? In other words, will upgrading the turntable set-up (turntable itself, needle, cartridge, etc) actually make a difference to the sound when using wireless Sonos speakers?
icon

Best answer by jgatie 26 January 2018, 16:21

Many thanks. I may have used the wrong word there being hugely untechnical! Are you saying that the better the turntable and preamp then the better the sound through the Sonos speakers?

Turntables are mechanical, so there are degrees of better and worse due to quality control, types of cartridges, drive type and quality, wobble and dampening measures, etc. Preamps are made with commodity items, and I'm not so sure that one costing $1000 is "better" than one costing $40, when the basic components all cost about $1.50. Then again, I'm not one to think certain wires or devices sound "better" than others simply because they cost more. If you are, then you probably will feel the more expensive item is "better". Just know there is a lot of snake oil in the audio business, and most claims are based on pseudo-scientific nonsense rather than actual quality differences as shown in a properly conducted double blind test.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

It will make the same difference that you would hear if you were playing the TT through legacy HiFi kit. Not worth the trouble, but that is subjective and an assessment that will vary from one person to another.
I have read a lot recently about wireless speakers and whether they are worth having a decent turntable set-up as the sound still has to be compressed.

"Compressed"? Not if you don't turn on compressed mode for the line-in used for the turntable. At the default setting, the Sonos line-in is lossless. No compression is done, and a turntable connected via TT->Connect->Amp will sound identical to the the turntable connected directly into the analog amp.
Badge
I have read a lot recently about wireless speakers and whether they are worth having a decent turntable set-up as the sound still has to be compressed.

"Compressed"? Not if you don't turn on compressed mode for the line-in used for the turntable. At the default setting, the Sonos line-in is lossless. No compression is done, and a turntable connected via TT->Connect->Amp will sound identical to the the turntable connected directly into the analog amp.

Many thanks. I may have used the wrong word there being hugely untechnical! Are you saying that the better the turntable and preamp then the better the sound through the Sonos speakers?

Turntables are mechanical, so there are degrees of better and worse due to quality control, types of cartridges, drive type and quality, wobble and dampening measures, etc. Preamps are made with commodity items, and I'm not so sure that one costing $1000 is "better" than one costing $40, when the basic components all cost about $1.50. Then again, I'm not one to think certain wires or devices sound "better" than others simply because they cost more. If you are, then you probably will feel the more expensive item is "better". Just know there is a lot of snake oil in the audio business, and most claims are based on pseudo-scientific nonsense rather than actual quality differences as shown in a properly conducted double blind test.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
It will make the same difference that you would hear if you were playing the TT through legacy HiFi kit.
This. Basically, Sonos is not the weak link in the chain.