Question

When will there be support for Apple HomeKit ?

Userlevel 2
I've just watched the Apple WWDC and I'm wondering why I should stay with Sonos, now that apple have brought announced its own spa Ian awaness speaker.
I think in light of this announcement it would be wise for sonos to implement HomeKit, if it does not want to loose customers like me.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

Apple HomePod will compete directly with Amazon Echo and Google Home. I DO think Sonos needs to get on board with voice control and home automation, but I don't think Sonos will be in much danger until Apple, Amazon, or Google comes out with comparable "connect and connect:amp" devices.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I worry about SONOS. I wonder why Apple haven't bought them.

They even showed a SONOS Play:3 today on stage to talk about dumb speakers! I didn't like the jab!

Apple HomePod will compete directly with Amazon Echo and Google Home. I DO think Sonos needs to get on board with voice control and home automation, but I don't think Sonos will be in much danger until Apple, Amazon, or Google comes out with comparable "connect and connect:amp" devices.

At $349 and no screen the HomePod does NOT compete with the Echo Show which does have a screen for $229, the Echo at $179, or the Dot at $39. The HomePod's high price, strong bass, and multi-room playback (via AirPlay2) is more aligned to what Sonos does than what Echo or Google Home do. Also it can't compete with anything until it actually ships and that is still a long way off.

The Dot does replicate the main function of the Connect by playing through an amp or receiver.

If I understand HomeKit correctly (and I might not) it requires devices to have some Apple proprietary hardware added to achieve certification. I don't see Sonos going that route any time soon, at least not until HomeKit grows to be a significant portion of the Connected Home market.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
The required hardware can be added in the form of something similar to the Boost in a new Hardware revision to include the chip necessary for HomeKit.

Here is Belkin doing a 180 on their previous refusal to support HomeKit by announcing the WEMO bridge:
http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/05/25/wemo-bridge-will-add-homekit-compatibility-to-belkins-home-automation-platform-in-the-fall

Here is an interesting read to understand how iOS handle security:
https://www.apple.com/business/docs/iOS_Security_Guide.pdf

And here is one supplier of components used in accessories by OEMs ti implement HomeKit Accessory Profile (HAP) using Bluetooth LE: https://www.dialog-semiconductor.com/sites/default/files/da14681_homekit_product_brief.pdf

I am sure this has been the topic of internal discussions at SONOS and I'd like them to implement interoperability with iOS.
But that would affect habits and people would start using the SONOS app less. That means giving up control and weakening the hardware & software bond SONOS is known for.

What would you do if you ran SONOS: miss the boat again or give in?
Userlevel 1
What a diss right? When I saw the image of the speakers I have in my home, I went pale. Something needs to be done!
Sonos needs to figure out how to support both homekit and the Android echosystem equivalent. This is win-win, Sonos differentiates with their experience, quality and supporting all competing standards, something that Apple devices will not do. Doing that without requiring existing customers to have to replace all our hardware with new one would be very much appreciated.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
My recent interactions with their phone-base customer support and the way the managers run their floor and apparently approve every message that goes out turned me off big time.

Also, I cannot get them to reward my loyalty (BETA tester, 2 homes, 9 speakers, 2 SoundBar, 2 Sub).
Having a similar conversation with Apple led me to my local Apple Store Leader giving me a call and taking care of me. Ditto with Customer Relations.

I decided I'd be very detached and I will make a cold blooded decision to ditch SONOS if need be.

The marketplace always works things out if you step back and look.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
As someone with a few thousands invested in Sonos, this is a little worrying. I appreciate that techies haven't properly got their paws on the homepod yet, and the test was maybe a little unbalanced, but, so far, from what they've heard, all are saying blows the 3 out of the water on sound.

Thank God I've got mostly 5's! Seriously though, troubling news.
Blows away the Play:3, Sonos' oldest speaker model and generally considered their least value for the money sound-wise? Way to shoot high, Apple. 😃
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
I think in light of this announcement it would be wise for sonos to implement HomeKit, if it does not want to loose customers like me.

Hmmm... Are you the one who placed a million dollar order for Sonos(es) last week?

I overheard a person in an apple shop looking at the Apple watch saying... This one does not work with Android? They've just lost a customer like me. ?
Userlevel 2
Badge
It`s clearly abnormal at this point that a company like SONOS do not support any of the major vendor for home automation like Apple Homekit, Nest/Google Home, Amazon Alexa or IFTT. For me Apple Homekit is a must. A bridge upgrade will be so simple to do.
Sure I'm repeating a common sentiment here... but I LOVE my SONOS equipment and I'm heavily invested. I'd love the additional functionality via having it a part of HomeKit, but it's truly not a deal breaker. I could jump up and down and scream about it, but it's not like it's "hard" to launch the SONOS app... voice recognition would be fun but with a huge library and access to apple music I tend to scroll more than go "hey I wanna listen to xxxx." I'm in deep with Apple, same with Sonos... I hope they continue to play nice, but neither is exclusive for me.
It`s clearly abnormal at this point that a company like SONOS do not support any of the major vendor for home automation like Apple Homekit, Nest/Google Home, Amazon Alexa or IFTT. For me Apple Homekit is a must. A bridge upgrade will be so simple to do.

First, Google Home and Alexa are not home automation, they are voice assistants that work with home automation. Second Sonos has an API so that any person or company control Sonos through the API. IFTTT does work with Sonos. Just google "IFTTT Sonos" and you'll get lots of hits. Sonos control is also available on the Lutron hub and Smartthings. Sonos is controlled through Wifi, which every smarthub, phone and just about everything is equipped to communicate. The only reason Homekit doesn't work with Sonos is because Apple is making it very difficult for that to happen.

Saying that Sonos needs to create new hardware to accommodate Apple's unnecessary rules doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Apple isn't looking out for you, they are requiring you to spend more money to work with Homekit when Homekit's competitors do not.

Regarding Sonos willingness to work with voice assistants, I can understand why people are impatient, but they have acknowledged there working on integration, and have a history or making sure it works well. For all we know, Sonos has done there part and is waiting on Amazon to finish there's. We just don't know. I don't quite get why people are annoyed with Sonos for not putting out a big software update, but are ok with Apple being so late in bringing a voice assistant product to market that looks to behind on features and price, everything but sound quality, that won't even come out till November at best.

Honestly, I think Apple is making mistakes, somewhat repeating the same mistakes they made in the personal computer market decades ago. Yes, their closed system preference can make for a better experience, but what they give up in flexibility and affordability is going to hurt them in terms of marketshare.

First, Google Home and Alexa are not home automation, they are voice assistants that work with home automation. Second Sonos has an API so that any person or company control Sonos through the API. IFTTT does work with Sonos. Just google "IFTTT Sonos" and you'll get lots of hits. Sonos control is also available on the Lutron hub and Smartthings. Sonos is controlled through Wifi, which every smarthub, phone and just about everything is equipped to communicate. The only reason Homekit doesn't work with Sonos is because Apple is making it very difficult for that to happen.

Saying that Sonos needs to create new hardware to accommodate Apple's unnecessary rules doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Apple isn't looking out for you, they are requiring you to spend more money to work with Homekit when Homekit's competitors do not.

Regarding Sonos willingness to work with voice assistants, I can understand why people are impatient, but they have acknowledged there working on integration, and have a history or making sure it works well. For all we know, Sonos has done there part and is waiting on Amazon to finish there's. We just don't know. I don't quite get why people are annoyed with Sonos for not putting out a big software update, but are ok with Apple being so late in bringing a voice assistant product to market that looks to behind on features and price, everything but sound quality, that won't even come out till November at best.

Honestly, I think Apple is making mistakes, somewhat repeating the same mistakes they made in the personal computer market decades ago. Yes, their closed system preference can make for a better experience, but what they give up in flexibility and affordability is going to hurt them in terms of marketshare.

Theoretically, you are correct. However, Apple has the market share among wealthy people (people that would be more likely to pay for Sonos) they have the capital, and they have all the leverage. It's up to Sonos to play Apple's silly game, or lose out on potential customers. You can see this by money spent on apps on the various operating systems. Android users are less likely to spend money than are Apple users. It's all about what metric Sonos is using to inform its business decisions. If I'm fully invested in Apple's platform, it is more simple for me to ditch Sonos and buy a product that is more convenient for me to use with the Apple products I have.

Theoretically, you are correct. However, Apple has the market share among wealthy people (people that would be more likely to pay for Sonos) they have the capital, and they have all the leverage. It's up to Sonos to play Apple's silly game, or lose out on potential customers. You can see this by money spent on apps on the various operating systems. Android users are less likely to spend money than are Apple users. It's all about what metric Sonos is using to inform its business decisions. If I'm fully invested in Apple's platform, it is more simple for me to ditch Sonos and buy a product that is more convenient for me to use with the Apple products I have.

I would not assume the wealthy are going to chose Apple over Sonos. Particularly if the have a large home with a home theatre setup. A customer walks into Best Buy with the idea of upgrading their tv and sound system. Are they going to walk out with a tv and some homepods, or a tv and sonos 5.1 system? Customer gets geeksquad to come out and hang the tv and PLAYBAR, setup the rest of the speakers, and program harmony to boot.

That's another thing. The wealthy are going to often use home installers for this stuff. What are the professionals going to recommend? Will Apple even work with professional installers?

I have no doubt that Apple will make money on this, and there will be plenty of happy customers that swear by it. I think it actually may be the better choice for a lot of customers, depending on the situation. I also think the competition is good for Sonos in the long run.
Userlevel 2
Badge +2
I have an update:
Apple no longer requires MFI licensing or the authentication hardware (chip) for HomeKit.

It is now almost certain SONOS will have their products working with HomeKit via a firmware update.
Badge +20
I have an update:
Apple no longer requires MFI licensing or the authentication hardware (chip) for HomeKit.

It is now almost certain SONOS will have their products working with HomeKit via a firmware update.

Yes, I posted similar earlier... also in iOS 11 beta FLAC files are supported 🙂
Why does this mean it's almost certain? They said alexa in the spring at one point and I believe they've been silent on that front. I believe they've also been silent since this major announcement (which also included Apple's speaker) so would have seemed prudent to confirm they're going to accommodate rather than directly compete. I don't think homekit support is coming anytime soon and hope I'm wrong. Building a new house and wrestling with whether to expand the current SONOS' I have or go elsewhere. Everything else will be on homekit and am hoping that I can make scenes the new norm.
Badge +20
Why does this mean it's almost certain? They said alexa in the spring at one point and I believe they've been silent on that front. I believe they've also been silent since this major announcement (which also included Apple's speaker) so would have seemed prudent to confirm they're going to accommodate rather than directly compete. I don't think homekit support is coming anytime soon and hope I'm wrong. Building a new house and wrestling with whether to expand the current SONOS' I have or go elsewhere. Everything else will be on homekit and am hoping that I can make scenes the new norm.

Aiexa is coming, Sonos never gave any timescale apart from 2017 and confirmed by Ryan (Sonos employee) on this forum. Aparantly its being tested in a private beta but no one will be able to talk about that.

Understand your dilemma and having been with Sonos since 2005 I personally cannot see it becoming Homekit compliant... but I may be wrong as Apple have dropped the hardware "chip" requirement.

The reality is that apart from Bluesound there is nothing else like Sonos on the market and waiting for a feature or function is going to drive you mad so you have to go with what's available now and working.

The reality is that apart from Bluesound there is nothing else like Sonos on the market and waiting for a feature or function is going to drive you mad so you have to go with what's available now and working.

Even Bluesound does not have what Sonos offers via Sonosnet; a way around Home WiFi bandwidth congestion due to all the demands on it these days. The first requirement of any wireless system is robust music streaming; there is nothing as effective as drop outs and music stuttering to destroy the experience.
No idea about how Airplay 2 does on this count; in 2011, Airplay wasn't good enough in my home to do grouped play in a reliably stable way.
Aiexa is coming, Sonos never gave any timescale apart from 2017 and confirmed by Ryan (Sonos employee) on this forum.

Ah you're correct. Looks like my "spring" hunch was merely a hunch and never was what they communicated.

I'm more puzzled by how there are no comments after the Apple event, specifically around the ease of compliance around MFI chips not being necessary. I seem to recall this being a hang-up in the past - I know it was for a lot of other connected devices. I'm not a programmer but from what I understand about the new software-based validation the homekit integration should be much easier. I don't know install base but I'm guessing close to 50% if not more of Sonos customers are heavy IOS/Apple users so this is head scratching.
Apple is clearly targeting Sonos with their Homepod announcement. I don't see where it is in Apple's interest to help Sonos integrate with Homekit and compete with Homepod. Apple has enough to worry about with the leaked Homepod killer that Amazon will be releasing this Autumn.
Userlevel 2
Integration with HomeKit is probably not coming.I believe voice control it will be through a Sonos product. As with LightwaveRF in the UK, who kept saying it was in development for about 18 months, Apples policy actually meant a "Generation 2" product be designed. This requires a new bridge which doesn't work with what will now become "Generation 1" devices, of which I have a housefull!! Even though I am an Apple user, they can stick HomeKit where the sun ain't shining, as I'm not keen to throw away perfectly good tech so that I can "talk" to it via their unfriendly Homekit. The Dot is suddenly looking very attractive, and I think it's naive of Apple to believe that just because people have the disposable income they will just go along with it. A significant number won't. Other products are available!
Userlevel 2
I'm seriously considering the Apple HomePod when it launches, and would really appreciate being able to connect/control my Play5 using HomeKit. Get with the times, Sonos!
Actually, it would be Apple that would have to do the majority of the work on that. Sonos would consult, but it's Apple's engineers that would do the heavy lifting. And I suspect that Apple would rather not do that work, and have you replace all of your Sonos gear with HomePods.