The fading promise of Google integrations, considering dumping the Sonos Ones and going back to Play 1's

Userlevel 5
Badge +12
With the latest Verge interview with Sonos CEO. I am feeling that sonos will fail to deliver on Google integration let alone a google skill this year.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/highlights-from-the-vergecast-interview-with-sonos-ceo-patrick-spence/ar-AAyHq9k

So I am considering getting right on my Sonos ones and going back to play 1. It is very disappointing that Sonos has miss the spring time promise. And after reading the interview. Maybe we will see it in 2019. I have lost faith that we will see it in 2018.

And now you do not even see google assistance mention in the Beam or the One product page.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

27 replies

So I am considering getting right on my Sonos ones and going back to play 1

Maybe I don't understanding what 'getting right' means, but...what does that accomplish?

It is very disappointing that Sonos has miss the spring time promise.

There never was any spring time promise made by Sonos for delivering Google integration.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
if I go with google home mini, I do not need the speaker with a mic array in the sonos ones in my bedroom. Don't need more ears listening.

When they announce the Ones they said late spring of 2018, not 2019. And it is sound more and more like 2019.
if I go with google home mini, I do not need the speaker with a mic array in the sonos ones in my bedroom. Don't need more ears listening.

When they announce the Ones they said late spring of 2018, not 2019. And it is sound more and more like 2019.

Link to the bolded from an official Sonos source and not a presumptive media writer?

You do know you can turn off the mic on the Sonos One right?

And as jgatie said, you may have heard media or others speculate on Spring of 2018, but it was never stated by Sonos.
Folks seem to overlook the fact that Alexa integration is still in beta with no sign that a production version is coming any time soon. I would expect Sonos will deliver a production version of their first integration well before making any beta of Google integration available so probably going to be quite awhile.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Link to the bolded from an official Sonos source and not a presumptive media writer?

Chatting with sonos sales, when it first came out. They said that it should be in late spring. And worst they said it will have siri support. I chatted with them today. They said siri support is coming still.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Folks seem to overlook the fact that Alexa integration is still in beta with no sign that a production version is coming any time soon. I would expect Sonos will deliver a production version of their first integration well before making any beta of Google integration available so probably going to be quite awhile.

Base on the interview. I am suspecting 2019, late 2019 would be my guess now with that CEO interview.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

You do know you can turn off the mic on the Sonos One right?

And as jgatie said, you may have heard media or others speculate on Spring of 2018, but it was never stated by Sonos.

I support sonos. But now base on my recent chat with sonos sales. I have very little faith in their ability to deliver Google Assistant this year. And the interview with their CEO makes me doubt it more.

I know you can use the soft switch to turn off the mic. But it is not a physical switch like on the google home mini. So I do not trust it as much. And it has been sitting with the mic off for 6 months now. I can just sell it to someone with alexa. And just go with google home mini for my yonomi work around in the bedroom for now.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
PS I would not have though twice if not for the CEO non commenting about the Project. And the fact that all mention of Google Assistant Integration on both the Beam and One is no longer on their website. These are not good signs for the google eco system users.

Chatting with sonos sales, when it first came out. They said that it should be in late spring. And worst they said it will have siri support. I chatted with them today. They said siri support is coming still.

So that would be nothing but your word, as opposed to every official statement by Sonos, including the original press release and dozens of statements by Sonos reps here?

Gotcha. :D

Oh and by the way, Siri support is not coming. Airplay 2 support is. Are you sure you were talking to a Sonos sales person?
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

So that would be nothing but your word, as opposed to every official statement by Sonos, including the original press release and dozens of statements by Sonos reps here?

Gotcha. :D

Oh and by the way, Siri support is not coming. Airplay 2 support is. Are you sure you were talking to a Sonos sales person?

Siri is not airplay 2. That is the point. Their sale support will still tell you siri support. I can even tell you the screen name of the sonos sales rep.

Siri is not airplay 2. That is the point. Their sale support will still tell you siri support. I can even tell you the screen name of the sonos sales rep.

They don't even know the difference between Siri and Airplay 2, yet you believed them when they said Google Assistant was coming in Spring 2018? Here's a hint: Never believe a salesperson, especially when the official statements are quite different from what they claim.

Also, you may wish to PM that salesperson's name to a Sonos rep here. They shouldn't be talking about stuff they obviously know so little about.
Not to knock Sonos sales staff, but for sales folks in general, their job is to encourage sales. IMO, they are not the best source of 100% accurate information. Your experience seems to fit that generalization. Therefore, in this age where customers can easily find official statements from company websites and other communication sources, I wouldn't rely on something a sales person tells me.

I personally also wouldn't be looking to buy a Sonos One or Beam based on future features anyway. Too much can happen between now and then, for any product.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

They don't even know the difference between Siri and Airplay 2, yet you believed them when they said Google Assistant was coming in 2018? Here's a hint: Never believe a salesperson, especially when the official statements are quite different from what they claim.

Also, you may wish to PM that salesperson's name to a Sonos rep here. They shouldn't be talking about stuff they obviously know so little about.

That is the point, they do not know what they are saying. That mean that their is no management guidance on where the product is going. So that means that they really don't know. And that is not a good sign for google assistant users. All I have read and heard form sonos of late seem to be backing up and backing up form google assistant.

I have the google home mini in the living room and kitchen. And they work well as my assistance. So that is why I am consider getting rid of the sonos one and going back to play 1s. When works great and sounds just as nice. With out the addition of two mic arrays that I can only software switch off. Not HW switch like the google home mini.

Not bashing Sonos, but just stating the fact that it does not look good for people that brought on a promise, and will wait a year for or more for the promise. And with the way things look 2019 is looking more more realistic time frame.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Not to knock Sonos sales staff, but for sales folks in general, their job is to encourage sales. IMO, they are not the best source of 100% accurate information. Your experience seems to fit that generalization. Therefore, in this age where customers can easily find official statements from company websites and other communication sources, I wouldn't rely on something a sales person tells me.

I personally also wouldn't be looking to buy a Sonos One or Beam based on future features anyway. Too much can happen between now and then, for any product.

Yeah, I though sonos was different. Was always satisfied with their music support. But they did not deliver as I had hoped with their assistant support. Just want a google skill and I will be happy. Don't need the sonos one or bean to act as the assistant, the native google product does a very find job.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Would you mind private messaging me any details around that conversation? I hate to say it, but they told you the wrong thing and I'd like to get that in the right hands. We're working with Apple to bring AirPlay 2 to Sonos. With AirPlay 2, you'll be able to use Siri on iOS devices, to play to AirPlay 2 compatible Sonos players. Adding Siri support to Sonos One or Beam hasn't been announced as something we're working on.

We're hard at work with the Google Assistant team and are still pushing to get it done this year. I don't have a solid timeline I can share as there are always lots of moving parts with a partnership like this. We'll be sure to let everyone know as soon as we can.

That is the point, they do not know what they are saying. That mean that their is no management guidance on where the product is going. So that means that they really don't know. And that is not a good sign for google assistant users. All I have read and heard form sonos of late seem to be backing up and backing up form google assistant.

Disagree. Your original post stated that Sonos missed it's promise of delivering in Spring of 2018. That does not match up with Sonos official statement, but came from a sales person who can't really give you such promises. This is what I, and I think jgatie, had issue with. I understand it really wasn't the point you were trying to make, but it definitely was part of your supporting information for your point.

I can see where the CEO statements doesn't give you a lot of confidence, and it does seem like they are backing off a bit in their marketing. However, I also think it's very strategic for Sonos to really get this done for the holiday shopping season. My guess is that if it's not going to happen before then, Sonos will communicate that in the fall.

Full disclosure, I'm not a Google user, however, I definitely want to the integration to come and work well. I think it will help sell more Sonos units, which means a stronger Sonos company which mean more//better Sonos products in the future. As well, I think it will increase competition between Google and Amazon, as far as integration with Sonos, which can only mean better features for users of both systems.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
Would you mind private messaging me any details around that conversation? I hate to say it, but they told you the wrong thing and I'd like to get that in the right hands. We're working with Apple to bring AirPlay 2 to Sonos. With AirPlay 2, you'll be able to use Siri on iOS devices, to play to AirPlay 2 compatible Sonos players. Adding Siri support to Sonos One or Beam hasn't been announced as something we're working on.

We're hard at work with the Google Assistant team and are still pushing to get it done this year. I don't have a solid timeline I can share as there are always lots of moving parts with a partnership like this. We'll be sure to let everyone know as soon as we can.

PM sent
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Disagree. Your original post stated that Sonos missed it's promise of delivering in Spring of 2018. That does not match up with Sonos official statement, but came from a sales person who can't really give you such promises. This is what I, and I think jgatie, had issue with. I understand it really wasn't the point you were trying to make, but it definitely was part of your supporting information for your point.

I can see where the CEO statements doesn't give you a lot of confidence, and it does seem like they are backing off a bit in their marketing. However, I also think it's very strategic for Sonos to really get this done for the holiday shopping season. My guess is that if it's not going to happen before then, Sonos will communicate that in the fall.

Full disclosure, I'm not a Google user, however, I definitely want to the integration to come and work well. I think it will help sell more Sonos units, which means a stronger Sonos company which mean more//better Sonos products in the future. As well, I think it will increase competition between Google and Amazon, as far as integration with Sonos, which can only mean better features for users of both systems.

That is the problem, sales force saids one thing, and RD says something else. Wish both would be on the same page. I know their job is to sell, but they need to be a little better with getting out a common message.

They don't even know the difference between Siri and Airplay 2, yet you believed them when they said Google Assistant was coming in 2018?

In this case, it may not be that Sales doesn't know the difference, but that they may believe the customer doesn't know the difference and doesn't want an explanation of the difference. Hard to say without having an ear on the conversation.

That is the problem, sales force saids one thing, and RD says something else. Wish both would be on the same page. I know their job is to sell, but they need to be a little better with getting out a common message.

This isn't a Sonos problem though, it's sales in general. That's why I make a habit of going with the official message over a sales message every time. If I'm buying a house, a car, consumer products, anything, I'm doing my own research instead of rely on the sales message. Heck, even when I went through divorce, I read all the legal documents myself instead of relying on my lawyer to tell me what it says.

As a former salesperson, let me give you a little piece of advice: Never rely on a salesperson to give you accurate information, especially when it contradicts every official statement from the company and its other representatives. Salespeople lie to promote sales, or are often uninformed, or they simply want to get rid of an annoying caller so they tell him/her what they want to hear. None of that points to relying on a salesperson for official word on anything.

Bottom line is, every official statement in the press and here in this forum has stated Google Assistant will be launched on Sonos sometime in 2018. We aren't even halfway through 2018. While your angst over the CEO's words may be a harbinger of what is to come, they are still a long way from not hitting their mark.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12

As a former salesperson, let me give you a little piece of advice: Never rely on a salesperson to give you accurate information, especially when it contradicts every official statement from the company and its other representatives. Salespeople lie to promote sales, or are often uninformed, or they simply want to get rid of an annoying caller so they tell him/her what they want to hear. None of that points to relying on a salesperson for official word on anything.

Bottom line is, every official statement in the press and here in this forum has stated Google Assistant will be launched on Sonos sometime in 2018. We aren't even halfway through 2018. While your angst over the CEO's words may be a harbinger of what is to come, they are still a long way from not hitting their mark.

It has been 7 months since the launch. I understand sale force issue. But knowing people are waiting for 7month then through siri support. It gets a confusing message.

@Ryan,

Thanks for taking care of the issue
Amazon Alexa support took over a year from announcement (August 1 2016 to October 4 2017). The coming Google Assistant support was announced along with the Sonos One on October 4 2017. Given the time for the Alexa development, 7 months is nothing.
Userlevel 5
Badge +12
I know these thing can take time. But as I pointed out the CEO is wishy washy about the google assistant thing. So that is kinda bad if you are a google assistant user. Sales can have their issue. But the CEO needs to be clear, and said something positive, and that they will meet the 2018 dead line. So it make the promise on google in 2018 kinda of fading. June was a hopeful wish on my part. But now I am not quite sure they will hit 2018. Dec I will have my ones for a year. Never used the smart so far.