Question

The End of Personal Music Uploads

• 22 December 2017
  • 14 replies

Looks like Amazon is planning to end your ability to upload or play personal music files, and many predict that all of the other music streaming services will eventually do the same. https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2017/12/amazon-music-ends-mp3-upload-support-will-end-music-storage-service-in-2019/

This is a blow to folks who have collected tracks not offered by any music service and are unhappy with the reduced development of local library features and management. The answer for those needing to play files from their local library has always been "Just upload them to a streaming service", but now that option is disappearing with no good alternative being offered. Let's hope Sonos redirects some resources back to the local library side of the house before the ability to play those treasured files that don't exist in Music Service libraries disappears for good.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yeah... I'm not a Classical Music fan myself, but I know there are MANY recordings that aren't part of many streaming services... not to mention things like import tracks that can be purchased and downloaded, but often aren't available for streaming... I've used my own music library to fill holes in Google Music's service since I started using it when it first became available through Sonos. I know that Google does most of its work through matching, and only uploads that which they don't have... so hopefully I don't have too much to worry about there!
I guess the question is how long will Google continue to support uploads before they follow Amazon's lead? Getting burned by one streaming service makes me hesitant to invest a lot of effort into moving my music files to another since any of them can pull the plug at any time. I am going to reset my focus back to finding the best way to play music from my local library as my primary source and just use streaming services as a secondary option.
I use my own Plex server to play my music library on my Sonos system.
I guess the question is how long will Google continue to support uploads before they follow Amazon's lead? Getting burned by one streaming service makes me hesitant to invest a lot of effort into moving my music files to another since any of them can pull the plug at any time.[...]
For those who aren't aiming at cancelling their subscription everything will remain unaffected. From the help page: "While you remain a paid member, you retain the ability to upload music and renew your subscription."
I guess the question is how long will Google continue to support uploads before they follow Amazon's lead? Getting burned by one streaming service makes me hesitant to invest a lot of effort into moving my music files to another since any of them can pull the plug at any time.[...]
For those who aren't aiming at cancelling their subscription everything will remain unaffected. From the help page: "While you remain a paid member, you retain the ability to upload music and renew your subscription."

It also says "As of December 18, 2017, the ability to upload music will be removed from the Amazon Music for PC/Mac app." So does that mean you can still upload music using a phone app? What would be the point of making that distinction?
[...] It also says "As of December 18, 2017, the ability to upload music will be removed from the Amazon Music for PC/Mac app." So does that mean you can still upload music using a phone app? What would be the point of making that distinction?
You can't upload music using a phone app, only download. If you have a valid music storage subscription, the ability to upload music within the PC/Mac app is still there. Go check it out.
I received a message yesterday about the ending of Amazon Music linking to Sonos. I signed-up when I bought my Sonos equipment as it was the perfect solution for me. I do not want to stream other music, just listen to my own record collection. I understand it is because they want to sell Alexis speakers.

It would be good if Sonos were to move into supplying their own digital locker service. If they do not retaliate, I fear for their long term survival.

I understand that Google Play Music is going down the same route, for the same reason.

Does anyone know of a similar solution from another organisation? I want to be able to create my own playlists, like I can on Amazon Music and also stream to my phone, or iPad when I am driving, or away from home.

Having my own server attached to my router is far from perfect as I tend to move between 3 countries and so have no way of attending to its needs during the 5-months that I am away from my main home.
As noted above, check out Plex. They support uploading to a cloud service and streaming from there. Running a Plex server and streaming over Wi-Fi is the easiest. If you have a laptop while away from home, you can stream to your Sonos.

I received a message yesterday about the ending of Amazon Music linking to Sonos. I signed-up when I bought my Sonos equipment as it was the perfect solution for me. I do not want to stream other music, just listen to my own record collection. I understand it is because they want to sell Alexis speakers.

It would be good if Sonos were to move into supplying their own digital locker service. If they do not retaliate, I fear for their long term survival.

I understand that Google Play Music is going down the same route, for the same reason.

Does anyone know of a similar solution from another organisation? I want to be able to create my own playlists, like I can on Amazon Music and also stream to my phone, or iPad when I am driving, or away from home.

Having my own server attached to my router is far from perfect as I tend to move between 3 countries and so have no way of attending to its needs during the 5-months that I am away from my main home.
[...] I understand that Google Play Music is going down the same route, for the same reason. [...]
Google just doubled the upload limit from 50.000 to 100.000 tracks.
[...] I understand that Google Play Music is going down the same route, for the same reason. [...]
Google just doubled the upload limit from 50.000 to 100.000 tracks.

After the Amazon debacle I still would not trust any streaming service to be the primary repository for my music collection. Besides the risk of potentially losing access to my music if their policy should suddenly change is the even greater risk of losing the time invested in creating carefully crafted play lists that don't translate easily from one service to another.

People who care what songs and versions of songs they listen to as well as what order they listen to those tracks in should still stick with local music libraries.

People who care what songs and versions of songs they listen to as well as what order they listen to those tracks in should still stick with local music libraries.

BubbleUPnP app can source from Google Drive, Amazon Cloud Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, DropBox and Box, and render to Sonos. Not much call for a local NAS these days. I work at a huge Dow component company. We recently switched from LAN drives to Google Drive. It's in no danger of going away.

Playing from Google Drive right now to my Sonos Connect:Amp->QUAD ESL-63s.

BubbleUPnP app can source from Google Drive, Amazon Cloud Drive, Microsoft OneDrive, DropBox and Box, and render to Sonos. Not much call for a local NAS these days. I work at a huge Dow component company. We recently switched from LAN drives to Google Drive. It's in no danger of going away.

Playing from Google Drive right now to my Sonos Connect:Amp->QUAD ESL-63s.

I am more open to cloud storage than I am to streaming music services which can change on a whim. As you point out cloud based drives are not likely to go away though there are a lot more potential points of failure in the trip from storage to player.

The nice thing about LAN storage besides simplicity and total control is the ability to easily share the same library across a lot of different products. My music directory is accessed by Sonos, Squeezebox, and Alexa via the MySpeaker and MyMedia skills. I can reuse the same M3U playlists across multiple platforms as well. Maybe these would all work with a cloud drive but I'm not certain of it.
Try the Mypod Alexa skill, which can play from Google Drive. Very limited, but someone will eventually make a product that combines Alexa with one of the cloud drives, and works everywhere...