Suggestion: add music player capability to Sonos app

• 18 February 2020
  • 3 replies

I’ve been looking at how to link my Sonos system to my Bluetooth headphones for playback.  The it struck me, if the Sonos app had music player capability then the problem would be solved as the OS would take care of the rest.

3 replies

Not a chance I am afraid.  The Sonos app is a remote control not a player.  Sonos makes money by selling speakers.  They aren’t going to invest scarce resource in a development that would reduce sales.

Not a chance I am afraid.  The Sonos app is a remote control not a player.  Sonos makes money by selling speakers.  They aren’t going to invest scarce resource in a development that would reduce sales.

I agree that they aren’t going to do anything to reduce sales, so if they did such a thing it would have to be in a way that increased sales.  So that would mean they would need to charge for that feature.  As way of comparison, this music player would be a gateway into the Sonos system similar to the Port, so they would need to charge something on the scale of the Port.  If it was around 50% of the Port price, that would be $200.  That’s  way too much for what people would want to pay for an app.  As well, the app could be used on multiple devices for a single fee, while the Port is just once source, so it really ends up being a sales loser.

But that’s just the cost/price.  There’s also the technical problem.  The assumption would be that you could play your BT speaker and Sonos speakers in sync, which would not be the case.  At least not easily.  Sonos would likely have trouble getting your phone/tablet to play audio in sync with Sonos speakers given the different hardware involved.  Even if that wasn’t a problem, adding the delay caused by BT makes it particularly difficult.

If Sonos adds a music player app, I would imagine it would be mostly disconnected from your home system.  It would just act as an agregator of your different services while away from home, and perhaps allow casting for when you get home.    I can see that being useful in a way, but really something that music services already do.

Anyway, the solution you’re looking for would be to get a Port and a bluetooth transceiver to send audio to your existing BT speaker. That’s not going to be in perfect sync with the rest of Sonos though.   And, that’s going to cost north of $450.  It then makes more sense to just get a Sonos Move for $400, or a different Sonos speaker rather than incorporate your current BT speaker.

Very helpful and I appreciate the responses. Please note I was asking about headphones not speakers.  I know in some ways not a significant difference, but the use case I have is playing backing music while I’m practicing my sax without playing back through the Sonos speakers to minimize the disruption for the rest of the household.  The sax is enough, without the backing track played at the volume needed when I’m practicing.