Spotify Connect, serious competition

• 3 September 2013
  • 254 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14
Spotify today announced Spotify Connect, which will be a series of hardware from well-known hardware to seamlessly integrate spotify onto devices where the control is from the regular Spotify application on your phone or similar.

Streaming is still done directly through internet, so the phone isn't in charge of it, just controls it.

I really do hope that Sonos will follow this approach as well, I believe there are a lot more like me that primarily uses Sonos for Spotify, and being able to use the same app as always would be awesome.

Seems like there is already a feature request over at ask.sonos.com https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/support_spotify_connect_to_allow_users_to_use_the_spotify_app_as_the_controller

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

254 replies

Userlevel 1
I've invested Heavily into Sonos (Playbar, Sub, Play 5, 2 Play 3's and a Play 1), and am moving into a new house this weekend. I need more speakers, but I won't invest anymore into Sonos until I hear they are adding the ability to play spotify onto Sonos directly from the spotify app.

The Sonos app is fine, and has come a long way. However, I prefer using the spotify app, and can't justify the cost of additional Sonos components anymore without this functionality. Especially since other respected names are starting to add this functionality: http://www.techradar.com/news/audio/bose-tries-to-touch-sonos-with-new-soundtouch-speakers-1306394

"Starting early next year, Bose will be implementing Spotify integration across all its products with the addition of Spotify Connect to its SoundTouch app. Users will be able to switch seamlessly between their SoundTouch and Spotify apps, and both apps will be able to control SoundTouch devices directly."

How is it that Bose is able to add this capability, but Sonos isn't?
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
and behold you will soon be able to cast to Sonos speakers from the Spotify app :-)
https://news.spotify.com/us/2016/08/30/spotify-partners-with-sonos-to-unveil-new-era-of-connected-home-listening/
The news release says October, as a part of the public beta program.

Are private Betas by invitation?

We don't talk about private betas.
if they do a 'chromecast' equivalent dongle I can feed it into my playbar and thus the rest of the sonos gear. or a standalone unit with optical output (like sonos connect). the ideal of course would be to allow sonos speakers to be controlled within the Spotify app but this is now even less of a possibility than before.
A Chromecast-like device would make sense for Spotify, to allow existing HiFi kit to be 'Spotify Connect enabled'. Their hardware partners on the other hand would want to see 'Spotify Connect inside' to help them sell upgrades...
http://gizmodo.com/spotify-connect-sonos-like-powers-that-bend-to-your-bu-1228510223

In theory, you don't even need to buy any of the hardware—just buy an iPod Touch, plug it into the gear you've already got , and use your phone as a remote. (Speaking of which, one thing that's noticeably missing is a product like the Sonos Connect: A little Spotify Wi-Fi base-station that lets you convert your existing stereo into a cloud-powered sound system.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
mmm - interesting. I could steal one of the kids ipod touches and plug it into a play 5 (along with ipod charger!) but its a shame the content would then be digital to analog in the ipod then back to digital again in the sonos components.

would be better if there was an all digital version.
Userlevel 2
FIY the TechCrunch article has been updated:
Update: Spotify says the quote is taken out of context, in that it cannot share future plans, not that it doesn’t have any at all. “We will continue to support and improve the Spotify experience on Sonos,” a spokesperson noted, once again not confirming any timescale or specifics.

So hopefully we are not doomed yet...:)

Standard CYA statement by the brass. I imagine the actual internal stance is closer to the head of hardware partnerships' scorched earth statement. The history between Sonos and Spotify has always appeared strained, and this launch of their own semi-competitive product explains a lot about that strain.

And if anyone truly wishes to let Spotify know what they feel about these plans, cancel your sub immediately. That is the only thing that will send a message. Internet griping does nothing, because wasting time griping means you will put up with anything as long as you can vent. Cutting out their revenue stream means something, carping about it does not.
The only reason to cut off one's subscription at this stage is if there's something better on Sonos. As a good quality streaming replacement for CD purchases Spotify on Sonos still fits the bill in its current form. The absence of music discovery apps is a pain, but there are alternatives.

In the EU 320k streaming services are few and far between. I started a fresh Deezer trial today but already ran into issues.
Maybe I'm misreading those comments, but I think 'scorched earth' might be a bit strong. He never said "we're getting off Sonos as soon as we can; they can kiss my...", just that they won't invest further development time in the platform. It'll still work, it just won't get any better. Everyone waiting on the radio feature is probably SOL, for example.
Userlevel 2

Update: Spotify says the quote is taken out of context, in that it cannot share future plans, not that it doesn’t have any at all. “We will continue to support and improve the Spotify experience on Sonos,” a spokesperson noted, once again not confirming any timescale or specifics.

The Spotify experience on Sonos, really, i think he was being sarcastic.
Maybe I'm misreading those comments, but I think 'scorched earth' might be a bit strong. He never said "we're getting off Sonos as soon as we can; they can kiss my...", just that they won't invest further development time in the platform. It'll still work, it just won't get any better. Everyone waiting on the radio feature is probably SOL, for example.

By scorched earth, I meant they basically said they were not going to work with Sonos any further, thus leaving us high and dry. They have since amended that, but the initial blurb by the Spotify official certainly seemed to me as stating "our partnership with Sonos has ended." YMMV.
And so it begins . . . Spotify Radio designated as "Not Planned" as of 5 minutes ago:

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/add_spotify_radios_to_sonos

Again, the only thing Spotify will understand is cancellations. It doesn't affect me, then again I've switched services 4 times since I've owned Sonos due to dissatisfaction, and I got at least a year of $4.99/mo. Rhapsody/Napster streaming because of it.
The only reason to cut off one's subscription at this stage is if there's something better on Sonos. As a good quality streaming replacement for CD purchases Spotify on Sonos still fits the bill in its current form. The absence of music discovery apps is a pain, but there are alternatives.

In the EU 320k streaming services are few and far between. I started a fresh Deezer trial today but already ran into issues.

Ordinarily I would agree with you, but Spotify seems to be at a fork in the road with regards to Sonos support, and a bold statement by Sonos customers may just may sway them on which road to take. Regardless of whether Sonos is sufficient as a replacement for CDs today (and I agree it is), anyone who wishes for more from Spotify is going to be disappointed, and a cancellation may be warranted as a symbol of that disappointment.
Badge
I joined Spotify Premium specifically to use with my Sonos, and convinced my father to do the same after selling him on Sonos.I am a big fan of Spotify and would love to send a message short of cancellation. Especially while there remains the hope of continued cooperation. I couldn't find anywhere to send a comment (other than just create another thread on their forum, which seems a waste.
I joined Spotify Premium specifically to use with my Sonos, and convinced my father to do the same after selling him on Sonos.I am a big fan of Spotify and would love to send a message short of cancellation. Especially while there remains the hope of continued cooperation. I couldn't find anywhere to send a comment (other than just create another thread on their forum, which seems a waste.

John M from Sonos gave this link in the Spotify Radio thread on ask.sonos:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/ideas/v2/ideapage/blog-id/ideaexchange/article-id/16743/

Which I suppose is their message boards, but it is better than nothing. In reality, a cancellation is the only thing which gets noticed, carping on a message board simply means you are still paying them, and any threat to leave seems idle if you haven't left yet. A sad, but true fact.
Ordinarily I would agree with you, but Spotify seems to be at a fork in the road with regards to Sonos support, and a bold statement by Sonos customers may just may sway them on which road to take. Regardless of whether Sonos is sufficient as a replacement for CDs today (and I agree it is), anyone who wishes for more from Spotify is going to be disappointed, and a cancellation may be warranted as a symbol of that disappointment.
Users with a legitimate grievance in terms of missing functionality will now end up with a competitor service anyway. If those of us who've, in large part, been satisfied with Spotify (apart from early teething troubles) all get up and leave too then it would further undermine any incentive to maintain the current service. I fail to see what effect a mass subscription cancellation would have other than to bring forward the fateful day when the Sonos service is shuttered.

New services will come into being, and existing services will improve. Bring on the day when we can stream lossless here! When the case is compelling I, and doubtless others, will migrate. Until such time throwing my Spotify toys on the floor feels like rather an empty gesture.
Users with a legitimate grievance in terms of missing functionality will now end up with a competitor service anyway. If those of us who've, in large part, been satisfied with Spotify (apart from early teething troubles) all get up and leave too then it would further undermine any incentive to maintain the current service. I fail to see what effect a mass subscription cancellation would have other than to bring forward the fateful day when the Sonos service is shuttered.

New services will come into being, and existing services will improve. Bring on the day when we can stream lossless here! When the case is compelling I, and doubtless others, will migrate. Until such time throwing my Spotify toys on the floor feels like rather an empty gesture.

I've no problem with your stance, and I in no way called for mass cancellation. My only point was that the days of whining to Sonos about missing functionality are over, and if one wishes a change, that change will come about due to pressure on Spotify, not Sonos.
Userlevel 1
Badge
And so it begins . . . Spotify Radio designated as "Not Planned" as of 5 minutes ago:

https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/add_spotify_radios_to_sonos

Again, the only thing Spotify will understand is cancellations. It doesn't affect me, then again I've switched services 4 times since I've owned Sonos due to dissatisfaction, and I got at least a year of $4.99/mo. Rhapsody/Napster streaming because of it.

That was quick. Man, I really hope they can work something out.
Userlevel 2
Vote up (give kudos) to this idea on the Spotify community so maybe spotify will realese a public API/specification of Spotify Connect.

community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Publish-the-Spotify-Connect-Wireless-speaker-API/idi-p/520890
Userlevel 1
Badge
Vote up (give kudos) to this idea on the Spotify community so maybe spotify will realese a public API/specification of Spotify Connect.

community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Ideas/Publish-the-Spotify-Connect-Wireless-speaker-API/idi-p/520890

There's no way they are going to do this. I am sure that they are going to license out the tech/software to manufacturers and they are going to want some sort of control over what is using it.

In general this whole thing has me looking at other subscription services though. Rdio is second best behind Spotify, I think, only because of their sometimes questionable sound quality. Great looking and fully featured service otherwise. Music selection is very close to Spotify, too.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Im in the UK and also now looking at Rdio.
is there any way to establish the bitrate it uses ?
e.g. in Sonos 'about my system' ? similar to how on the playbar it shows 5.1 or PCM ?
Userlevel 1
Badge
e.g. in Sonos 'about my system' ? similar to how on the playbar it shows 5.1 or PCM ?

Good question - I don't think so.

I really don't understand why they don't publish what they stream at - it just makes the consumer think that it must not be good if they're not telling us. They say that they're always experimenting with different bitrates and formats to "provide the best possible listening experience". I guess they do that because they want to provide faster streams from mobile/desktop.

This is what rather puts me off: the fact that I couldn't be certain what I'd be getting for the money.

There's no way that I know of to determine Rdio's bitrate as seen by the Sonos Player. You could always use a bandwidth monitor in your router, if it offers one.