Spotify Connect, serious competition

• 3 September 2013
  • 254 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14
Spotify today announced Spotify Connect, which will be a series of hardware from well-known hardware to seamlessly integrate spotify onto devices where the control is from the regular Spotify application on your phone or similar.

Streaming is still done directly through internet, so the phone isn't in charge of it, just controls it.

I really do hope that Sonos will follow this approach as well, I believe there are a lot more like me that primarily uses Sonos for Spotify, and being able to use the same app as always would be awesome.

Seems like there is already a feature request over at ask.sonos.com https://ask.sonos.com/sonos/topics/support_spotify_connect_to_allow_users_to_use_the_spotify_app_as_the_controller

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

254 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22
This is good, hopefully something similar can be done now to send a YouTube sound to Sonos.

Unless Google introduces some form of subscription service then is zero to zero chance of this happening in any official capacity
You'll need to convince Google to do the implementation in their software, now that Sonos has published the API. It's not something that Sonos would do themselves.
This is good, hopefully something similar can be done now to send a YouTube sound to Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi everyone,

The Spotify direct control beta is now complete and everyone can now update their systems to enjoy this feature. Please see here for more information regarding Spotify direct control.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Are private Betas by invitation?

Always. But Spotify Direct Control for Sonos just went into public beta for Android, Mac and Windows PCs. We don't run public betas for iOS devices. Check out the announcement here.

We don't talk about private betas.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I'm wondering if it is limited to US only? Is there any EU beta-testers that actually have gotten this Spotify beta? I'm gonna be a bit disappointed if this only rolls out in the US to begin with, and not for me in Sweden, the actual birthplace of Spotify 😉

Also a bit offended that I haven't been invited to the private beta, being the OP and all! :D

I just saw an email from Spotify notifying me that public beta with this feature is included.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
public beta is now available ;-)

more info here
https://en.community.sonos.com/announcements-228985/sonos-version-70-now-entering-public-beta-for-android-mac-and-windows-pcs-6755181

interesting they dont call it 'Spotify Connect' compatible but 'Spotify Direct Control'. I have a feeling it still somehow works through the sonos servers so has a bit more of a lag that other Spotify Connect devices. However, the important thing is that it works - thank you sonos !
I'm wondering if it is limited to US only? Is there any EU beta-testers that actually have gotten this Spotify beta? I'm gonna be a bit disappointed if this only rolls out in the US to begin with, and not for me in Sweden, the actual birthplace of Spotify 😉

Also a bit offended that I haven't been invited to the private beta, being the OP and all! :D

There is no current public beta anywhere in the world, and any other testing which may or may not be going on would under an NDA.
Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Also a bit offended that I haven't been invited to the private beta, being the OP and all! 😃
Did anyone get this feature yet?
It's almost the end of October and nothing seems to be there. So just asking.
Thanks

It's a public beta. You won't see it until the internal testing is sufficient enough to release as a public beta, no matter what the marketing people announced prior.
Did anyone get this feature yet?
It's almost the end of October and nothing seems to be there. So just asking.
Thanks
Thanks. Sorry for not reading the article in full.
The news release says October, as a part of the public beta program.
Do we have any indication on when this update will be released? Currently debating Sonus vs Bose and this upgrade will probably sway me towards Sonos.
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
and behold you will soon be able to cast to Sonos speakers from the Spotify app :-)
https://news.spotify.com/us/2016/08/30/spotify-partners-with-sonos-to-unveil-new-era-of-connected-home-listening/
Apple and Google can afford to lose millions of dollars on streaming, it's a drop in the bucket for them. Spotify can't. They lose money with every stream.

Worse, Apple takes an unhealthy cut (30%?) of their monthly subscriptions if done through the Apple store, an odious, predatory, monopolistic practice, since Apple won't allow Spotify to include or even advertise their own subscription service inside their own App! I was floored when I learned about this. Certainly doesn't help assuage my long time dislike of Apple and its business practices. Google allows app providers to advertise alternative subscription payment services in-app, as they should.

If you want Spotify to survive (dubious), make sure you don't subscribe through the Apple Store!
Very old but current topic. If I really need to make a choice between Spotify and Sonos, I'll toss out the Spotify.
Spotify is the best but really if you go to basics what do you really need? You need the ability to listen to your music. Features are nice but not essential. And for that I can move to Apple music or Deezer. I currently have Spotify family subscription and Apple and Deezer.
The biggest reason I keep Spotify at the moment is integration with app called "amazing slow downer" which is incredible tool for a musician.
Both of the latter services do the job as far as usability. The overall library is about the same really. And I listen to pretty obscure stuff. The only one that fell far shorter when it comes to music offering was Rhapsody, it had far less than the others to choose for me. I kept Rhapsody for over a year still.
All these services to me are an incredible bargain and I wish more people realized that and started subscribing.
Which is why I don't understand Spotify?
Was it in this thread that someone said they have 30 million user out of which 8 million are paid subscriptions? Prior to that I heard 25/3. Every single Sonos/Spotify user is a paid subscription. Is that the name of the game? To increase the subscription base? Comcast seems to think so. Instead, Spotify are trying to figure out a workaround and make money.
I really want them to stay in business (Spotify). But I'm way more worried about them than Sonos.

Ditch Sonos over Spotify? What are you going to get that's as good or better? I haven't found it. Look how obsessive they are about the box for the new play 5?! I had a customer who's engineer and he flipped out about it. Took it to the office the next day. Imagine how obsessive are they about the rest of the product?
I'm an AV installer and would not recommend anything but Sonos to a customer in this category. It's the only product I've ever installed where people reached out post installation to thank me for it.

That said I really wish they finally got this casting thing, or whatever you want to call it, figured out.
The only complaint I ever got about Sonos from the customer is how come I don't have a way to send a YouTube sound to Sonos?!
Sonos support Spotify connect! If you don't, I and many others have no reason to buy more of your product. You will get left behind. It's a pity.

LOL. Spotify has never made a dime, doubt they will last another 3 years.
Sonos support Spotify connect! If you don't, I and many others have no reason to buy more of your product. You will get left behind. It's a pity.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Sugr Sweet, best take note of this section of Sonos Community Code of Conduct:

- Keep it spam-free. The Sonos Community is provided as a service to Sonos customers and is not intended for the promotion of third party services, products, websites, or organizations. Please refrain from posting content that would constitute advertising, junk mail, spam, chain letters, or any other form of unauthorized solicitation.

Thanks RDog, we removed a few of the overt advertising posts.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I've currently got Apple pencilled in to acquire Sonos, and FB to acquire Spotify. As a heavy Google user, I could be out in the cold! Shivers :S
Userlevel 7
Badge +17
Maybe Zuckerberg will buy Spotify and its financial position will become moot. Could be a good fit.

his pockets are certainly deep enough and spotify already has good facebook integration compared to google which uses google+ and apple that uses, erm, nothing for social integration / following / sharing playlists etc !
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
Maybe Zuckerberg will buy Spotify and its financial position will become moot. Could be a good fit.