Question

Sonos layoffs, will speakers work if something horrible were to happen

Show first post

45 replies

Some more words from the Sonos CEO on layoffs, streaming and voice.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7256313/sonos-ceo-john-macfarlane-from-the-desk-of

Interesting... TFT...

But then he says things like "I would say a pair of Play:5s can't be beat for less than $40,000, and they're $500 each." and you wonder what planet he's on...

Nothing to wonder about at all. Majority of the "high end" speakers are way overpriced for the engineering that goes into them. I wouldn't go near a Wilson Audio pair, for example, ridiculously overpriced. Harbeths, maybe, some of the Canadian companies produce some pretty good values, but none of them have Sonos' R&D facilities; they rely on government anechoic chambers, for example. Remember that Sonos Play:5 includes an amp per driver in the price, and doesnt suffer the performance degradation of passive crossovers or ported woofers.
Anyone who thinks that a pair of Play 5's can outperform a pair of Quad Electrostatics needs their ears testing... Purely IMHO, of course 😉
Anyone who thinks that a pair of Play 5's can outperform a pair of Quad Electrostatics needs their ears testing... Purely IMHO, of course ;-)

I happen to own a pair of QUAD ESL63s. You?

I don't have Play:5s, but do have a pair of Play:1s in the home office. NOTHING else compares for the price.
.....pair of Play:1s in the home office. NOTHING else compares for the price.

So, you're saying that the Play:1's are better than your Quads? Seriously?
Userlevel 2
Badge

FOR THE PRICE !!
I sold my Harbeth C7 pair a month after a side by side test at home with a play 1 pair - and that, before adding a Sub. In the all important mid range, at my listening distance, the Harbeths weren't doing anything more for me/my music than the 1 pair was.

With a Sub added, the 1 pair does better than the Harbeth pair for low frequencies.

There are some applications/rooms where the Harbeths will outperform the 1 pair; the point I am making is that their price tag does not automatically make them better in every instance.

I still have to listen to a new 5 pair; I don't find it hard to believe that for many home audio applications, beating it would need a much more expensive speaker, perhaps even one that costs the said 40k dollars.
FOR THE PRICE !!

EXACTLY!!!!

That's not what he said, though - he said "I would say a pair of Play:5s can't be beat for less than $40,000, and they're $500 each", which is a very different thing indeed...
I find it curious that when the CEO of a company touts his own product as being a great value when compared to the $40,000 competition, it is thought to be impossible, yet there is a significant portion of the market for those $40,000 a pair speakers who believe completely impossible BS like the superiority of cables, interconnects, Hires audio, cable lifters, green markers, cocobolo wood insulators and/or other snake oil.

You have either a reading comprehension problem, or failed your basic logic classes.

Anyone who believes any pair of home speakers is worth $40K is gullible...
You have either a reading comprehension problem, or failed your basic logic classes..

Pot/kettle alert...

So, are you saying that your Quad setup out-performs your Sonos speakers, or not?

Anyone who believes any pair of home speakers is worth $40K is gullible...

Different issue...
I find it curious that when the CEO of a company touts his own product as being a great value when compared to the $40,000 competition, it is thought to be impossible, yet there is a significant portion of the market for those $40,000 a pair speakers who believe completely impossible BS like the superiority of cables, interconnects, Hires audio, cable lifters, green markers, cocobolo wood insulators and/or other snake oil.

I agree with you shouldn't surprise anyone. It is his job to pump the product, so useful to view what he says through that lens. I wonder if he has data to back up his claim, like double blind tests of some highly regarded speakers vs P5 🙂

I agree with you shouldn't surprise anyone. It is his job to pump the product, so useful to view what he says through that lens. I wonder if he has data to back up his claim, like double blind tests of some highly regarded speakers vs P5 :)

Knowing Sonos, they probably have more data than any of the companies and/or customers touting the superiority of the snake oil I listed. After all, Sonos are the ones who said about Hires music, "There are arguments you could make about deeper bit depth, but we are unable to make a meaningful argument on sample rate. We tried, we can’t – the math just isn’t there.” Seems empirical data is something they value.
Seems empirical data is something they value.

So no doubt you can easily point us to the plethora of independent double blind tests that support "I would say a pair of Play:5s can't be beat for less than $40,000, and they're $500 each"...
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Ok guys... I think we're going a bit far off the original topic here. If you want to have a discussion about the quality of Sonos speakers compared to other speakers, a new topic should probably be created for it (or carry on in an existing topic that is focused on the subject of speaker comparisons).
Some more words from the Sonos CEO on layoffs, streaming and voice.
http://www.billboard.com/articles/business/7256313/sonos-ceo-john-macfarlane-from-the-desk-of

Interesting... TFT...

But then he says things like "I would say a pair of Play:5s can't be beat for less than $40,000, and they're $500 each." and you wonder what planet he's on...

Nothing to wonder about at all. Majority of the "high end" speakers are way overpriced for the engineering that goes into them. I wouldn't go near a Wilson Audio pair, for example, ridiculously overpriced. Harbeths, maybe, some of the Canadian companies produce some pretty good values, but none of them have Sonos' R&D facilities; they rely on government anechoic chambers, for example. Remember that Sonos Play:5 includes an amp per driver in the price, and doesnt suffer the performance degradation of passive crossovers or ported woofers.

And Sonos apparently took THREE YEARS developing the play:5, I wonder how many speaker manufacturers put that amount of time into their products?
Ok guys... I think we're going a bit far off the original topic here. If you want to have a discussion about the quality of Sonos speakers compared to other speakers, a new topic should probably be created for it (or carry on in an existing topic that is focused on the subject of speaker comparisons).

Are you a cat herder by trade?

So no doubt you can easily point us to the plethora of independent double blind tests that support "I would say a pair of Play:5s can't be beat for less than $40,000, and they're $500 each"...

No, and I didn't claim I could. To be perfectly honest, I chalked it all up to marketing; if you read between the lines in my reply. I simply find it curious why some would totally dismiss what is by definition a purely subjective view, while being completely accepting of outrageous claims which are scientifically impossible.

But MikeV is right. This is getting off-topic. Back to the regularly scheduled program.

Are you a mod, or a Sonos employee?
Userlevel 7
Badge +25

Are you a mod, or a Sonos employee?

For the record, he's neither. Though Mike has been around a while.

Let's remember to stay on point and friendly here guys.
Our opportunity has never been greater as the transition to streaming accelerates.

And there's the proof right there that they've abandoned the core product that they were founded on... Local library streaming. I have zero interest in streaming services because I can't use them for what I do. I've built a fantastic library from scratch that I know will continue to function, but there are missing parts of the system to make it complete... Like having more than 65K tracks.

Edit: I realise my ramblings below should really belong in one of the other threads, but it tied in to BCM's comment... sorry!

I couldn't have said that better myself - exactly what I thought when I read that press release. I've owned every Sonos unit (apart from the Sub and new Play:5) on-and-off since 2009 but after I hit the 65K limit (and yes, the vast vast majority is from CDs I've bought over the last 30 years) I usually sold up to try something else for a while. But I keep returning to Sonos, albeit each period getting shorter and shorter, in the hope this limit would be increased without having to implement my usual playlist-per-album or other server workarounds which usually reduced the overall Sonos experience.

Reading that press release pretty much confirms that future improvements to local library storage are highly unlikely. I did use a streaming service for a while (the free Deezer from my last Play:1 purchase) but there's a LOT of music from my own collection that isn't on Deezer or any other service. And due to me moving around a lot, I can sometimes go 4-8 weeks without an internet connection.

Crazy thing is, I keep toying with buying the new Play:5 and pushing all my music to it using Logitech Media Server and the great uPnPBridge plug-in from one of the LMS forum members (which will even transcode the few 24-bit files I've started to build up)

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I really like the whole Sonos experience, but it's time for me to accept that it's no longer the ideal solution for my own (selfish!) needs. But then the Naim Mu-So or the larger Bluesound units cost a lot more than a Play:5. It was interesting to see that Bluesound also have a track limit though - i wasn't aware of that.

But yeah, I can appreciate that streaming is the way to go nowadays for the mass-market. Just means I need to spend more money than what Sonos would cost me to get the correct solution for me 😃