Sonos Company Ethicacy, Morality and Integrity Core Values?

Userlevel 4
Badge +1
  • Enthusiast I
  • 20 replies
In the aftermath of the CR100 debacle it may be helpful to discuss the direction and methods taken by Sonos management to achieve their end goal of retiring the CR100 by force and the impact on and perception of customers future buying decisions

They still have not made it clear in any believable way why they forced this issue which leaves many people puzzled and angry at the rendering useless of their legally owned equipment.

Personally , this is a first for me . I have never owned a product previously that I have bought that has been rendered useless by the creators period,. Far less easy to swallow is the subterfuge of the battery non issue to cover an ulterior motive. This makes the company Sonos look untrustworthy at best . If you have a reason for doing this , spit it out and let people know. I believe that I, as the purchaser gets to decide when it is time to retire my own possession. I have a belief that quality equipment that was sold as a quality product to prospective buyers should be subject to end of life decision only by the buyer and no one else.

I struggle with the management decisions taken that force me to re-evaluate my investment in their goods within my home.
Prior to the CR100 execution , I viewed my home audio system as an asset to my home , something that simply worked and worked well with minimal intervention required from me which is pretty much what I expect from audio equipment . Now I view the lifespan of this investment as something which looks like is beyond my control even if the equipment is still functioning regardless of my desire to maintain that .

The support aspect of this situation where Sonos staff went into hiding and avoided direct questions from concerned customers has to go down as a low point in any companies record in dealing with their best ambassadors.

These are just a few points that caused me to raise this topic for discussion regarding the ethicacy and morality and integrity of the current Sonos operation...any one of the the issues I have listed above would make Sonos or any other company ineligible for consideration for future investment either in business or in domestic life for this individual.

What do others think....? Please keep the thread social.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

136 replies

Anyway, Apple is one of the more heavy-handed companies in regards to OS upgrades but even it has enough foresight to support at least a previous version as well the current one.

Isn't the CR100 a lot older than "at least a previous version"? As far as I know, it hasn't been sold by Sonos for at least five years now, and closer to ten.

Anyway, Apple is one of the more heavy-handed companies in regards to OS upgrades but even it has enough foresight to support at least a previous version as well the current one.

Isn't the CR100 a lot older than "at least a previous version"? As far as I know, it hasn't been sold by Sonos for at least five years now, and closer to ten.
I'm talking about OS support (although older machines, like mine, can run macOS Sierra, the previous version). Similarly, Sonos could release a CR100-compatible 8.4 build and continue developing features onto their latest build.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

This thread is NOT meant to be about the CR100, it is about the Ethics, Morals and the Integrity of a companies Core Values as displayed by their actions.

In Sonos's case we can look back over a number of years and with the benefit of hindsight look at what has happened, the reasons given at the time and actual results that can be seen years later. This cannot be done just a few weeks after an event.
Userlevel 5
Badge +6
This is not meant to be a jab, as I am fairly new to SONOS. I have been avidly following post for the past few months. If not about the CR100, what other moral/ethical issues is this thread about? I am genuinely curious.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I haven’t a clue wds0001. I just figured this thread was way for CR100 guys to get more attention.

I mean you have some devices that eventually won’t work on Sonos because of iOS or android updates. But that’s kinda out of Sonos hands and they have allowed some older versions to still run when they are able in limited modes (no settings options). I just think with less being Sonos controller in app and more direct streaming from native apps (which I’m not really fan of but does help a lot of people) .. Sonos becomes less and less able to support older operating systems.

I’m not sure why that is an ethical question through. I’m surprised how Sonos still supports fully the original ZP devices. They seem to have a track record better then most at keeping even their oldest devices current.

This thread is NOT meant to be about the CR100, it is about the Ethics, Morals and the Integrity of a companies Core Values as displayed by their actions.

In Sonos's case we can look back over a number of years and with the benefit of hindsight look at what has happened, the reasons given at the time and actual results that can be seen years later. This cannot be done just a few weeks after an event.

Can you elaborate on "what has happened" in the past that has been enlightened when you "look back over a number of years and with the benefit of hindsight"? Also what incidents have there been that "reasons given" were at odds with "results that can be seen years later"? Specifics, facts, actual incidents; no speculation please.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1

Take away ALL the streaming add-ons they put into the unit and it would STILL be a controller for the base system and for people hosting their own files on their own network.

Good point, but not doing this, IMO, does not make Sonos immoral. Did they lie in this case - I can't say, I haven't tracked the CR100 subject. I don't see them doing anything very different from other makes, is the only point I am making.

IMO also by the way, all the controller upgrades they do is just a lot of noise with little forward motion. Take away a few things like Trueplay and I would say no forward motion for all the upgrade noise and heat since the time I have had Sonos from 2011. Fortunately, my upgrade process is robust, so this is just a minor irritant for me.

Now if my two Connect Amps were to ever be bricked in the coming years by Sonos.......

Kumars last sentence in this post highlights one of the issues that I see exists with the operating policy of a company, any company, forget that it is Sonos for moment for the purpose of looking at the decisions made and outcomes of actions by a management team in the consumer market.
Regardless of the product whether electronics or mechanical or any other consumer item , when is it right for the manufacturer to decide lifespan?
When I bought Sonos in 2005 , no one considered lifespan as determined by the manufacturer in the buying decision.
Fast forward 2018 now it appears that I have to do this according to some beliefs. This is something I am deeply uncomfortable with. I transitioned from being a completely happy customer who like a lot of other people happily recommended a product. That changed completely when that company disabled my product. The change for me is that because of that action forced on me I would never consider buying another product from the same company . That is a moral position that I take because I have beliefs regarding how people and businesses should behave.
I started the thread to try to understand the decisions that were made by Sonos management in the aftermath of the CR100 retiral and what led them to try to manage that particular situation in they way that they did. There are fundamental values at the core of doing business with anyone and for me the values have been violated.
I am still none the wiser as to the real reasons behind the retiral , the subterfuge of the battery issue , and the overall handling of the issue which can really only be described as inept , makes me distrust the company, that is a natural reaction.
If anything it should be of interest to Sonos or any other company to examine why a previously very happy customer has gone from being an advocate to someone who will never buy another product.
I have a large number of ZP'S hard wired into multiple properties and am very concerned that they get euthanised also , that is not something that I thought when I bought into the systems that I would ever have to worry about......

Now if my many ZP'S were ever to be bricked in the coming years by Sonos.....
If the ZP units were bricked by Sonos, wouldn't the majority of people be satisfied with the fact there is a modern day equivalent they could use their voucher to buy? After all, I kept reading in the CR100 thread that if they offered a modern hard button controller that was, sturdy, waterproof, and had other features like the CR100, then people wouldn't be upset and would be lining up to buy them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
I buy very little I expect will last me over 10 years.
Userlevel 5
Badge +1

Why am I not the least surprised that you and jgatee would be ok with this. I bet you would even thank them for the voucher and opportunity to spend more money as you both pretty much argued in the other thread. Religious devotion. Laying the ground work for brickening #2 are we? :8
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
If the ZP units were bricked by Sonos, wouldn't the majority of people be satisfied with the fact there is a modern day equivalent they could use their voucher to buy? After all, I kept reading in the CR100 thread that if they offered a modern hard button controller that was, sturdy, waterproof, and had other features like the CR100, then people wouldn't be upset and would be lining up to buy them.
I have tried as hard as I can to distance this thread from the Save the CR100 thread. Unfortunately your reference to the save the CR100 again takes us back into the territory that I made efforts to avoid from the starter post.
Your previous post mentions a voucher enabling a purchase for a modern day equivalent of a ZP. Are you in addition to being a benevolent ,charitable, delusional , guidance person also a clairvoyant??
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Hi Chris
Looking at your tag line that you seem proud of, there are many others that own equipment that dates back way further than you despite your Sonus disciple position. I would counsel that others have greater expectation from major purchases than you. It would seem that the religious fervoura tavched
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Whatever turn it into to whatever you want - as normal just trying to be an antagonist on this board. I am not specifically talking about Sonos ... when in fact Sonos has held steadfast to much older equipment. So thanks for validating how well Sonos is keeping me current.
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Chris wrote:

Hi Chris
Looking at your tag line that you seem proud of, there are many others that own equipment that dates back way further than you despite your Sonus disciple position. I would counsel that others have greater expectation from major purchases than you. It would seem that the religious fervour attached to this brand by the long term dwellers of this forum naturally overcomes common sense. I am glad that you have something to cling to , I don't frequent forums generally , it has been interesting and I hoped to learn something about business and decisions and technology moving forward.
This hasn't happened for me , but I have learned that when you have a pre disposed group like exists on this forum there is little to be gained in discussion.
The most interesting thing is most likely that Sonus management who will read this stuff will gain more intellectually from the people who discuss the serious issues rather than the blind allegiance exhibited by the handful of people who inhabit this wasteland.....
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
... Can you elaborate on "what has happened" in the past that has been enlightened when you "look back over a number of years and with the benefit of hindsight"? Also what incidents have there been that "reasons given" were at odds with "results that can be seen years later"? Specifics, facts, actual incidents; no speculation please.

Yes I can - I gave an example earlier in this very thread (about this very forum!).

I have tried as hard as I can to distance this thread from the Save the CR100 thread. Unfortunately your reference to the save the CR100 again takes us back into the territory that I made efforts to avoid from the starter post.
Your previous post mentions a voucher enabling a purchase for a modern day equivalent of a ZP. Are you in addition to being a benevolent ,charitable, delusional , guidance person also a clairvoyant??

I see no reason why Sonos would retire a ZP unit without a similar compensation to that offered for the last retired unit. You didn't answer my very pertinent question on this matter, and instead decided to hurl personal insults. So much for a "discussion".
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Being an antogosnit against helpful members of this community doesn’t make the community members loyalists it makes the antagonist the problem.

Yes I can - I gave an example earlier in this very thread (about this very forum!).

You are equating switching forum software with a question of ethics and morality? Seriously? I am the worst fan of InSided you will find here and even I don't think it has anything to do with ethics or morality.

Good grief. :8
Start "discussion" topic expecting an echo chamber of like minded people, complain when an actual discussion breaks out, attack those who do not echo in the echo chamber. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Why am I not the least surprised that you and jgatee would be ok with this. I bet you would even thank them for the voucher and opportunity to spend more money as you both pretty much argued in the other thread. Religious devotion. Laying the ground work for brickening #2 are we? :8

Actually, it was many of the other posters in that thread who were begging to spend more money on a replacement. If you like, I can post links.

By the way, what other thread is that? Surely not the one you have tried hard to distance this one from?
Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You are equating switching forum software with a question of ethics and morality? Seriously?

Good grief. :8

No "seriously" I was not. The trust of my earlier post had nothing to do with forum software.

You asked Specifics, facts, actual incidents; no speculation please.
I gave you a specific example with the facts of an actual incident without speculation (but with a real question to be considered at the end) and you are unhappy that I am not an "echo chamber" of your views. - "Good grief" no pleasing some people! :P

Deep breath and back to the subject of the thread (if you can).
Nope, just read it again. I'm pretty sure you equated the reasons behind switching forum software to a morality issue.

I say again, good grief. If that's all you've got, no wonder the need for an echo chamber. :8
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
The thread has no subject
I would counsel that others have greater expectation from major purchases than you.

I don't frequent forums generally , it has been interesting and I hoped to learn something about business and decisions and technology moving forward.

I have learnt from experience not to have these expectations these days, and I now choose price points taking limited lifespans into account.

I live in India, a major market for even folks like Mercedes and BMW. Whose expensive cars do not give trouble free service in our environment for more than 3-4 years. And the electronics/mechatronic elements are very complex, and can only be fixed via expensive replacements - not repairs. I would never buy any of their products, because good old Toyota is also available at much lower price points for purchase and repairs and functionally does 90% of what fancier cars can do on our roads. In the case of Sonos, price point differences between a play 1 unit and cheaper throwaway kit isn't significant for my pocket over a ten year lifespan, so buying Sonos where the application needs are met isn't a problem for me.

I don't like the general situation, but what's to be done other than to learn to live with it and deal with it in a pragmatic way? On the ethics of this behaviour, my view is that one can't pick on any single company, sellers and buyers are equally responsible for this state of affairs; the fancy cars also sell here to folks that are quite happy buying a new car every four years, as an example.

To the second part of the quote above, any expectation that Sonos would participate here in a way that will help you learn was misplaced. I doubt any other company would so participate either. And other than Sonos, I doubt anyone else here can contribute significantly to meet your stated expectations.
To the second part of the quote above, any expectation that Sonos would participate here in a way that will help you learn was misplaced. I doubt any other company would so participate either. And other than Sonos, I doubt anyone else here can contribute significantly to meet your stated expectations.Corporate ethics vary. And its values start at the top. I would confidently say that Patagonia's Yves Chouinard would not have green-lighted anything resembling Sonos' recent misdirection regarding Li battery "safety". The company was caught foisting FUD in order to further a product line decision about which they chose not to be transparent. Whether anybody from Sonos participates in the thread is irrelevant IMO.